Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I mean it's just a Chevy Truck by a different name right? What's the point?

GB1

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Technically, GMC carries a bit more QC than Chevrolet. I have had both & appreciated my GMC much more. I currently drive a Chevrolet & it makes me miss my GMC.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
I don't know why they exist today but there was some quality differences in the old trucks. Some of the GMC trucks in the 1950's had Cadillac V-8's and 4-sp hydro-matic transmissons. The 6 cylinder engines in the GMC pickups were also bigger than the ones in the Chevy trucks and you could the hydro-matic transmission with it.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
If it werent for chevrolet, all the people in the trailer parks would be pushing a ford. So they claim. Yeeeeehawwww you muddafuggas

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Funny ain’t it. I can see no discernible diff between them and the bow tie these days

And yet I still prefer to drive a gmc over a Chevy. Makes no sense, course a lot of what I do and think makes no sense.

I’m pretty consistent that way

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
$$$. It's all in the marketing. Any difference between a Chevy and a GMS is in perception. Ditto for the Cadillac versions, just more high margin jewelry.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
In days gone by, GM dealerships were split up. You didn't have Chevy, Olds , Pont, Caddy, etc. all at the same dealership. Having a GMC truck gave all the non Chevy dealers a truck to sell.

Now...... ?

Some do say that they are a God Made Chevrolet.

Some think that GMC's have heavier frames, etc. Getting into a conversation about the two is kin to a Ford vs. Chevy or 9mm vs. 45 argument.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A GMC pickup is no more than trying to get the point across that I have more money than you do. About the same for a Lincoln, or Cadillac pickup.

The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.

Unk
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by Mike74

You folks are over thinking the question. The answer is quite simple. The brand GMC exists to make General Motors more money.

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Originally Posted by achadwick
Originally Posted by Mike74

You folks are over thinking the question. The answer is quite simple. The brand GMC exists to make General Motors more money.

Or at least, GM's business managers think so. smile

and what does the Lord require of you but to do justice, and to love kindness, and to walk humbly with your God? (Micah 6:8)

d.v.

Musings on TDS
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Timberlake
A GMC pickup is no more than trying to get the point across that I have more money than you do. About the same for a Lincoln, or Cadillac pickup.

Not sure how that makes an "I have more money than you do". My uncle was able to work a deal on a new GMC that beat the local Chevy dealers price.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Why does GMC even exist?

So people can buy an obamatruck.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Why does GMC even exist?

So people can buy an obamatruck.

Truth! grin

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Reloder28
Technically, GMC carries a bit more QC than Chevrolet. I have had both & appreciated my GMC much more. I currently drive a Chevrolet & it makes me miss my GMC.

+1 me as well,the Chevy's ok,but not the same .

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by gunzo
In days gone by, GM dealerships were split up. You didn't have Chevy, Olds , Pont, Caddy, etc. all at the same dealership. Having a GMC truck gave all the non Chevy dealers a truck to sell.

Now...... ?

Some think that GMC's have heavier frames, etc. Getting into a conversation about the two is kin to a Ford vs. Chevy or 9mm vs. 45 argument.

This.

Most Chevy Dealerships usually only sold Chevy. Were as other GM Dealerships sold multiple brands like Buick, Pontiac, Olds. So having GMC Trucks gave them the option to sell trucks too.

The higher end GMC's have some fancy luxury options that Chevy's might not have. However, for the last 50 years or so, they both use the same engines, transmissions, transfer cases, front and rear differentials ect. GMC did have their own 6 cyl. eng. during the 60's to the mid 70's. They're both built on the same assembly lines.

In 2015 I was in the market for a new 3/4-1 ton truck. I could get similar equipped Chevy and GMC trucks for the same price. These were entry level heavy duty work trucks w/plow and tow set ups, not high end luxury trucks.

NYH1.

Take nothing I say personal, remember....it's just the interweb!

ROLLTIDE

YANKEE'S

new yorkistan SUCKS!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

And yet I still prefer to drive a gmc over a Chevy. Makes no sense.........

THIS is why the brand exists. Years-and-years of "professional grade" marketing to "differentiate" the same Chevy models under a different name.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I thought it so the stand alone Buick and Pontiac dealers had a truck line to sell?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same same as Camaro and Firebird.

1Minute
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
Back in the '70s and '80s I had two full sized station wagons, a Chevy and an Oldsmobile. Oldsmobile was supposed to be the second "highest" GM brand, after Cadillac. The only differences were that the Oldsmobile had (supposedly) a sound deadening panel in the roof and a little fake wood inside. The Chevy actually had some better luxury touches, like a lighted vanity mirror instead of just a cheap mirror stuck on the visor.

I also remember all the fuss when it was discovered that Cadillacs actually had Chevy engines in them. GM had to pay off a lot of irate customers. After that, their brochures admitted that engines might come from other GM divisions.

I knew a guy who was a service manager at a Cadillac dealership. He bought his parts for his own cars at the Chevy dealer. The only difference was that GM put a different part number on them to disguise the fact that they were the same. The "Cadillac" parts cost more, of course.

Personally I think a lot of people are dumb. GM (and others) should stop the pretense and just have one brand.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunzo

Now...... ?

Makes sense for back then. How they continue today is beyond me. I mean Oldsmobile and Pontiac couldn't.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

532 members (300_savage, 222Sako, 3040Krag, 257Bob, 270wsmnutt, 58 invisible), 2,782 guests, and 1,366 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,685
Posts18,534,444
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.