Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I know most everyone on here is big fans of the custom knives produced by members of this site, including myself, but I have really become a huge fan of Kershaw folding knives for an EDC and have really started showing more interest just in folders all together. For work and hard use they seem to fit the bill a bit better. Anyway, in my never ending quest for the perfect EDC I had discovered these Zero Tolerance knives some time ago and been drooling over them every chance I get. I was having a hard time dropping close to $200 on a factory made folding knife but the fact that these are made here in the good ol USA and they are an upscale beefier version of the Kershaws, I decided awhile back to take the chance. They offer lots of models and I decided on the 0801BW. It’s a Rexford design and the finish in black wash. It’s a great EDC! Rides deep in my pocket. It snaps open smooth and swiftly with the assist and closes equally as well. Absolutely no play anywhere and locks rock solid! It’s a bigger knife that fits the hand well but at same time can be carried in pocket and hardly know it’s there. This knife could very well become a new all-time favorite of mine and I’m already eyeing up other Zero Tolerance models. I honestly feel that these knives are of the quality that I’d trust my instincts to grab one and go if [bleep] hit the fan!

Anyway, I guess the whole point to this post was I’m curious if others on here have experience with using the Zero Tolerance knives and their opinions of them as I haven’t put mine completely through it’s paces yet? I’m really surprised I don’t hear more being mentioned of them.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 0450 that I carry quite a bit. Carried it yesterday in fact. I like it, it's not a huge or thick bladed knife that you could hack through a door with like many of ZT's offerings. What it is however, is a thin cutter that is built hell for stout for its smallish size. The S35VN blade is excellent, really like its cutting performance. The smoothness of the action and lock up are impressive. The flipper action and frame lock makes for very quick and convenient one hand operation. If this type folder is your style I'd definitely give the 0450 a close look for an EDC role.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Yes, indeed ... I can’t get over build quality of mine. It’s a tank of a knife! Especially for a folder. The thing locks up sooooo well!

I’ve also heard that they’re trying to move away from any foreign steels, like Elmax(which is damn good steel) so that their knives can uphold the Made in America reputation. Like I say, I have nothing against some of the foreign steel but I think it’s great hearing a company making moves like this in this day and age. It honestly makes me want to buy another! Lol

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
honestly, I have never found a ZT knife that pleased me with regards to style or looks. They work, They are well made, but I like something from Spyderco better

Sam......

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
honestly, I have never found a ZT knife that pleased me with regards to style or looks. They work, They are well made, but I like something from Spyderco better

To each their own. Have you had opportunity to handle all the models and really feel them out? I wasn’t super crazy about appearance of them at first either but I’m starting to realize the reasoning of some of the designs and practicality of them in certain situations. They have definitely grown on me. Handling them sealed the deal for me. Gosh they feel great in hand IMO! It was a tough decision for me which one to go with but I’m super happy with my titanium 0801BW. Its a workhorse!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MOGC
I have a 0450 that I carry quite a bit. Carried it yesterday in fact. I like it, it's not a huge or thick bladed knife that you could hack through a door with like many of ZT's offerings. What it is however, is a thin cutter that is built hell for stout for its smallish size. The S35VN blade is excellent, really like its cutting performance. The smoothness of the action and lock up are impressive. The flipper action and frame lock makes for very quick and convenient one hand operation. If this type folder is your style I'd definitely give the 0450 a close look for an EDC role.

I know two with the ZT 0450. I’d be a 3rd but I’m already knife poor....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Odds are if you frequent the knife forum, you have a problem... wink

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I have a ZT 0770CF with the Elmax steel that I really like. Cleaned 6 deer this year and I never even had to touch up the edge. Unfortunately the pocket clip broke and I have been going through hell trying to get a replacement. Their customer service is MIA. If I pay a premium for a knife I expect better customer service. No more ZT for me.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by CrowRifle
I have a ZT 0770CF with the Elmax steel that I really like. Cleaned 6 deer this year and I never even had to touch up the edge. Unfortunately the pocket clip broke and I have been going through hell trying to get a replacement. Their customer service is MIA. If I pay a premium for a knife I expect better customer service. No more ZT for me.

I hate hearing this! I was told you can send your knife back to them anytime for touching up free of charge other than getting it to them. Not that I can’t sharpen my own knife but made me think they might be a great company to deal with. I won’t quit on them until I have my own personal bad experience. For now, I’m really enjoying their knife.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been a fan of traditional knives for decades and have carried a traditional slip-joint or lock-back daily since I was a youngster. I have amassed a sizable collection over the years, which include several modern designs as well, such as Chris Reeve, Al Mar, Spyderco, etc. and although these modern knives are all well-executed, I always found myself going back to my traditional knives.

I resisted getting a ZT for quite some time as I'm very anti "tacit-cool;" however, after a few close calls, I decided to purchase the Elmax Rick Hinderer ZT 0562 (almost 2 years ago), mainly for defensive purposes. Although a substantial knife, it disappears when clipped in my right front jeans pocket. In fact, I find it more comfortable to carry than my smaller traditional knives. The knife is extremely well made and I quickly grew to appreciate the design elements, including the blade shape and grind, the titanium frame shape, the clip design and the ability to deploy in an instant. Danged if it hasn't become my EDC knife, which I use several times each day for a multitude of tasks and it's never failed to perform. If fact, I have grown to like my ZT so much, I am considering another 0562 in either S35VN or CPM 20CV. I've also been eye-ballin' the 0850.

If I had any complaints it would be that the extremely hard, tough Elmax steel takes a serious commitment in time to properly sharpen, but once sharpened, it stays sharp for a long, long time. Since I sharpen my knives by hand, on natural Arkansas stones, my initial sharpening after the factory edge needed a touch-up took many, many hours over a few of days to establish the proper bevel. I thought about investing in a set of diamond stones, but I haven't pulled the trigger on those yet - not sure if I will - but it would sure make the sharpening process a whole lot quicker. Maybe some high-quality Japanese water stones would make the sharpening job a bit easier.

ZT - highly recommended and I certainly like the fact that they're USA made.

Last edited by High_Noon; 02/05/18.

l told my pap and mam I was going to be a mountain man; acted like they was gut-shot. Make your life go here. Here's where the peoples is. Mother Gue, I says, the Rocky Mountains is the marrow of the world, and by God, I was right.
- Del Gue

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

246 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1lesfox, 2500HD, 257 mag, 219DW, 18 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 935 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,872
Posts18,478,727
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.