Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by bersh
As has been said numerous times in this forum and others, there are far more MOA rifles than there are MOA shooters. If you've owned that many 06s and can't find an accurate one, it's time to move on and either find one you like the looks/feel/ergonomics of and live with it, or keep shooting rifles of other calibers and forget the 06.

Originally Posted by bersh
As has been said numerous times in this forum and others, there are far more MOA rifles than there are MOA shooters. If you've owned that many 06s and can't find an accurate one, it's time to move on and either find one you like the looks/feel/ergonomics of and live with it, or keep shooting rifles of other calibers and forget the 06.

It sounds like the OP is an experienced shooter and knows what he wants, and is willing to buy it if someone offers. Probably not looking for everyone's advice or opinions. I have a couple of very accurate '06 rifles but I have rarely shot 5 shot groups, which is what he specified.

Good luck, DesertMuleDeer

GB1

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
DMD knows his way around rifles, and has owned some very nice ones.

Good luck with your search!

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I bought one of DMD's 30-06's a little over a year ago. It was a Pre 64 model 70 featherweight. It will shoot a 1" to 1 1/4" 3 shot groups. I have never tried a 5 shot group with it as of yet. I was able to pick up a twin to it last year that shoots consistent sub MOA for 3 shots. One of these days I will take the time to shoot some 5 shot groups, but that is not really my game. A LGS has a T3 Hunter in 30-06 for a little under $400. That may be the ticket.

CK
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I'm curious as to why a 30-06 would be a go to rifle in today's market of much better performance cal. Lot of them with like recoil , at one hundred yards the older marlin 32 special will shoot hole for hole at that distance. Not to criticize but I can't understand the obsession of the 30-06. Best of luck in your search.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by TDN
There was a custom 06 on here not long ago posted by scottz48 or some such name. Pretty sure he is out of NY and has sold bunch of 70s, Kimbers and some MRC rifles on here. Seemed to me it was done up in a McMillan and a Bart 2b on there. Looked promising for what you're looking for.

Good suggestion - I believe this is the one TDN was refering to. Unfired, but genetics are there.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...-stiller-predator-bartlein-#Post12479021

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think there’s a Beanland 30-06 floating around the classifieds - if not here maybe the long range hunting forum?

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
buddy of mine swore by the accuracy of his 30-06 A-Bolt... he would not consider anything else.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Regarding advice: no harm meant. I’m a little surprised though that an 06 shooting 1MOA 5 shot groups is uncommon.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Boring Tikka accuracy from a boring 30-06, but not spectacular.....

[Linked Image]

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
If a person is shooting long range matches I could see 5 shot groups. In a real world hunting rifle I shoot 2 shots. If the 2nd shot is say 3/4 or less from first shot i'm done. To me the better test would be to shoot 2 one day. Shoot 2 another day at same target. Lot more revealing as to real world hunting accuracy. Just my 2 cents. Remember some folk pick up a penny when they see it...others stroll on by. My 06 is consistent in this matter. Deer don't like it.

Last edited by rick1977; 01/18/18.

For we preach not ourselves, but Christ Jesus the Lord, and ourselves your servants for Jesus sake. 2 Corinthians 4:5
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Lots of harsh people on this thread! My post wasn't meant to be harsh, just my experience. I really do think that you could walk into Walmart with $500 and walk out with a 30-06, a few boxes of ammo, and still have change to fill up your pickup and a 12 pack for yourself, and the rifle would shoot MOA all day, every day, assuming of course that the 12 pack was left for after your range session. In fact, isn't it guaranteed with any Savage rifle? Maybe you don't want a Savage, and either do I, but the challenge here isn't finding an 06 that shoots MOA, it's more about finding the right rifle for you, and maybe "really accurate" is the wrong goal. Maybe a Remington 750 in 35W is the right rifle?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
Originally Posted by Bugger

I plan on doing quite a bit of work with the Remington 700 30-06’s I own this summer. If you can wait, I’ll have 4 or 5 for sale.

Most factory 700s wont shoot to my expectation for this project. Had cheap SPS 700s in 7-08 and 300 that would. The rest, including older .30-06s, wouldn't. Had another Remington that would do it on a warm bore but cold always went 4" high and 4" left, which was unacceptable.

Consistent cold or hot five-shot groups under 1" at 100 with multiple hunting bullets in .30-06 is what I am seeking. Many will do it with one load sometimes or for three shots most of the time but few will consistently do it for five shots with multiple loads.

I've found that 700's will shoot that accurately. However, some require rebedding or other minor work, a newer 700 required polishing of the bore, rebedding and truing the lugs.

I may be wrong but it seems to me that the early 700's through the 90's required less work to get them to shoot accurately. I still have a 721 that I restocked that would have met your criteria, however this last barrel which it is wearing is pretty much shot out (It is the 4th barrel I've had on that action.) I really like that 721, but had to send it back to Remington in the 80's for a new extractor. So far that extractor still works well - keeping my fingers crossed. 721's and 722's are/were very accurate with very little work needed.

Perhaps 5 shot groups with multiple loads may weed out many. My hunting loads traditionally have been 180 grain bullets (Remington CL's - least accurate in many rifles, Speer SP's, Hornady IL's, and Nosler PT's). I've heard that the newer Nosler bullets are more accurate, but I've had no problem with PT's. Also, some consider Sierra bullets as "hunting" bullets and they are traditionally quite accurate.

I own a few other manufacturer's rifles (Tikka, Ruger, Winchester, CZ, but no Savage's)), very few shoot as well as an older 700's, in my experience.

The 5 shot < 1MOA groups with multiple hunting loads with hot and cold barrels is a challenge that I'll be interested in trying when weather permits.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I have had a couple of 30-06's that would shoot, and have had a couple that were not overly impressive. I had a Ruger M77 Mark II that was super accurate with just about anything you slung down range, except core lokts. Those were minute of pie plate at best. Another rifle I wished I still had.

I had an older model Savage 110 30-06, that was a decent shooter, never got anything more than 2 inch 3 shot groups out of it, however that was my slop gun at the time, take it places that you would never take some of your finer rifles. Traded that for another rifle.

I had a Beautiful Winchester Model 70 xtr sporter, it was ok, I was never happy with how it shot, so I sold it. I was not into reloading then, and always just shot factory Hornady Ammunition out of it. Often wonder what that rifle would have done with proper load development.

Now I have a Zastava Interarms Mark X 30-06 that drives tacks with just about anything except for core lokts, and I have another Winchester Model 70 XTR Sporter 30-06 ( not near as nice as the first one I had) that will shoot the core lokts into 1" groups and Barnes 150 Grain TTSX bullets in 5/8" groups, and sometimes into the same holes.

For a short period I had one of those Mossberg ATR's , it was impressively accurate, ended up I sold that for twice what I paid for it. I think some rifles just need a little tinkering at times, and some just need to be paired with the right ammunition / or load. Go with what it will shoot, not what you want it to shoot.

In this day and time less than MOA just doesn't cut the mustard anymore. Used to be if you were getting 1 1/2 groups that was a great shooting rifle. Sometimes good enough, just isn't good enough.

Good luck with search.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DesertMuleDeer
I have owned a bunch of .30-06s but never one that surprised me as to accuacy. I am thinking five shots consistently under an inch with multiple good hunting loads. What do you have that you want to sell that will do this in .30-06?

Thank you.

I have an butt ugly 721 in 30-06. It has a screw on 700 take off barrel, a model 78 birch stock, it will shoot 180 grain interlocks both pb and bt into an inch with H4895. It does best with the pb though. I recently tried GMX 165 grain bullets in it - 1/2 " group 8 shots. It wears a M8 4x beat up Leupold scope with scars and dents. About the only thing original is the receiver, the bolt and the trigger, even the extractor has been replaced back when Remington still has some 721 extractors. The bluing is all but gone.

I've had this rifle for a very long time and though it is ugly as Hillary, I'm afraid it isn't for sale.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mine is seriously accurate with Varget and 168gr Berger H-VLDs.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/13196369/dinnys-pics-6#Post13196369

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
tag

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Look into a Bergara B-14 in 30-06. They guarantee MOA.
The Bergara B-14 HMR in 6.5 Creedmoor will do it all day long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
I've owned at least a couple of .30-06's like that. One was a standard-weight pre-'64 Model 70, and the other my 21-year-old NULA Model 24. Might find others if I check my loading notes.

Just put 4 rounds that fit completely under a quarter at 100 yards out of my pre war 30 Gov't 06 checking zero for this weekends mule deer hunt. 52gr of IMR 4064 and 150gr Hdy SP's shoot amazing out of that rifle. It will do nearly the same with a stiff load of H4350 and 180gr SP's. It's not for sale though.........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Mine is for sale....

Thanks, Dinny

Medics bury their mistakes..
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

515 members (1OntarioJim, 007FJ, 1Longbow, 1moredeer, 160user, 10Glocks, 41 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,149 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,397
Posts18,470,010
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.