Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
So when processing/gutting whatever you want to call it how do you hang your deer head up or down? Most I know hang by the rear legs head down. For me it’s easier to hang by the head so gravity does the work allowing all the guts to fall easily into the bucket. Interested to hear how you do it and why.

GB1

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Gut before hanging usually in the field

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Gut them where they fall. Hang them head down from a tree at camp to skin.

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
If they are an eater I hang them head up. Mounter head down. I find them easier to skin and cut up head up.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by Hogwild7
If they are an eater I hang them head up. Mounter head down. I find them easier to skin and cut up head up.

^^^THIS^^^

I gut them in the woods. I prefer to start at the neck and cape it down to the shoulders and front legs. Then I hook a rope to it and tie it to the tractor and strip it off the rest of the way. If you're going to mount it, you'll wreck the hide if you put a rope around it's neck. You need to hang it head down in that case.

[Linked Image]

"Government is not the solution to our problem, government is the problem."
Ronald Reagan
IC B2

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Hind legs up. The guts still fall out by gravity.... can't see that happening any other way.

Prefer to skin that direction all the time too regardless. Have hung head up a few times and just don't like it, I can make the hide cuts I need to make easier hinds up.

Not that either way is "wrong"

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Here is another one.

How many use a bone saw when cleaning a deer when you don't need a saw at all?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I hang hinds-up on a gambrel, unzip the guts, slice though the front chest wall with a sturdy knife and lets the guts fall in a cut-down plastic drum (skinning shed is on my hunting property). Then I cut out the tenders. Then I skin from the tail down to the head. Chop the lower front legs off with lopping shears, remove the shoulders, remove the neck meat, remove the straps. Then I take a bone saw and cut the backbone in front of the hind quarters and let the torso/head/hide fall in the gut bucket. I leave the hindquarters connected to the hip girdle, but I lop off the lower leg portions. All the pieces go in a cooler of cold water as I work and when I'm done the water has drawn out all the heat. I drain that water, load the cooler in my truck and head home. When I'm feeling considerate, I even haul off the gut bucket before I leave..... grin

Now with even more aplomb
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Depends on my mood. laugh

Usually, it's head down.

Camp is where you make it.
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by rost495
Here is another one.

Gutting it?

If you're referring to gutting it, the only time I cut the pelvic bone is when I'm going to donate it. FHFH requires it. Generally I don't worry about the ass hole because I'll have it quartered up before it would matter.

If you're talking about processing it, I use a saws-all for any bone cutting.

Last edited by StoneCutter; 01/18/18.

Ronald Reagan
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When I am hunting, I field dress the deer where it falls. If I am going to hang it for aging, I usually hang it head up. When it's time to skin, it goes head down on a gambrel. If it needs to be skinned in camp, we hang them head up, and pull the skin off using a golf ball or rock and a vehicle with a trailer hitch or a winch. If for some reason I need to open the rib cage, I use a pair of loppers--easier and quicker than a bone saw.

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have done it both ways. Over time head down proved ‘better FOR ME’.

I see others do it head up and don’t argue w/them. They’re used to it.

I gut before hanging w/head uphill a little. For me— I start at the rectum and get the hide separated from intestine.
I don’t use a bone saw per se, I use a reciprocating saw to cut thru sternum & pelvis. Other than that I don’t use a bone saw.

With hind legs spread w/a gambrel, it’s easier to remove tender loins - for me.

I have pix of my deer hanging BOTH ways at deer camp but head DOWN won the contest for me.

Jerry

ADD PIX

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jwall; 01/18/18.

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Usually head down..

Molon Labe
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by mudhen
When I am hunting, I field dress the deer where it falls. If I am going to hang it for aging, I usually hang it head up. When it's time to skin, it goes head down on a gambrel. If it needs to be skinned in camp, we hang them head up, and pull the skin off using a golf ball or rock and a vehicle with a trailer hitch or a winch. If for some reason I need to open the rib cage, I use a pair of loppers--easier and quicker than a bone saw.

That's how I do it, but I use my tractor. One time I was using my pickup and I forgot to cut the front legs off at the knee and slice them open. I started pulling and got down to the front hooves and it wouldn't come off. So I gave it a little bit too much gas and popped the head off. cry I'm sure there was beer involved.

Ronald Reagan
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
I field dress my deer in the field usually where they fell although sometimes I bring it back to camp. After field dressed I hang head down from a gambrel, skin and quarter using a sawzall. the quarters are hung at least overnight and weather permitting perhaps day or two before butchering.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Gut them in the field with a small knife and a Gerber saw. Then hang with gambrel from hind legs. I was taught it was disrespectful to hang from the head ? Don't know why. Just the way the old timers taught me.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
One time I was using my pickup and I forgot to cut the front legs off at the knee and slice them open. I started pulling and got down to the front hooves and it wouldn't come off. So I gave it a little bit too much gas and popped the head off. cry I'm sure there was beer involved.

laugh laugh

I can see BOTH being true.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
444Matt Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER
Gut them in the field with a small knife and a Gerber saw. Then hang with gambrel from hind legs. I was taught it was disrespectful to hang from the head ? Don't know why. Just the way the old timers taught me.

Yup was taught same thing but don’t much see the logic in it as I’m dismembering the carcass.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by 444Matt
Originally Posted by NEBHUNTER

Yup was taught same thing but don’t much see the logic in it as I’m dismembering the carcass.

Shut up and follow the rules hang um from the back legs

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by StoneCutter
Originally Posted by rost495
Here is another one.

Gutting it?

If you're referring to gutting it, the only time I cut the pelvic bone is when I'm going to donate it. FHFH requires it. Generally I don't worry about the ass hole because I'll have it quartered up before it would matter.

If you're talking about processing it, I use a saws-all for any bone cutting.

I use a little gerber with bone saw blade to open the sternum and split the pelvis. Neither has to be split but I think it helps things cool faster, especially on warmer days. Also makes it easier to cut esophagus, pipes, etc and very easy to remove last bit of large intestines. None of those things "have" to be done, and can actually be done with a knife/pressure...but it's simple, easy, and saves a knife edge by using the little bone saw.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

707 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 71 invisible), 3,132 guests, and 1,446 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,743
Posts18,476,068
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.