Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by jaguartx
Had a bare on a big dead cow it killed in the trail where it came down a ridge into a deep wide draw once. It was getting dark and i had to get past that pissed off bear and up the trail out of that canyon and back to camp. I couldnt climb the steep areas back down the valley to get out after dark. Too old to do it anyway. Drilled that growling teeth popping bastid with an arrow as he threatened me and he came for me on a dead run. He made it about half way when he started rolling, flopping and moaning. Muzzy 90 gr 4 blade, old style.

I killed a lot of schitt with those old Muzzy 4 blade broadheads! They were killing machines!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
but did you kill a bare?

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Yup. Aint tha onliest one with a bow, neither, hunt, an none with a guide, dogs er gun.

PS. Please note that no where did i say i killed a bear while elk hunting.

Last edited by jaguartx; 09/29/17.

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the left.

A Nation which leaves God behind is soon left behind.

"The Lord never asked anyone to be a tax collector, lowyer, or Redskins fan".

I Dindo Nuffin
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I would never ever shoot a wolf illegally. Only in states that have seasons and I was appropriately licensed.
Unless I felt endangered, then I would protect my Self, Sons, and Stuff.

SD is in the enviable position that we do not fall under the Rocky Mountain, nor Minnesota/ Great Lakes wolf management plans.

I have no doubt in my mind that there are wolf bones laying in western SD. Ranchers here will not tolerate them and they know how to SSS.
There was a pair spotted just north of our property right along the SD/WY line by a couple of archery elk hunters. There is no doubt in my mind that if they stick around, and show themselves too much, they will not be around very long. They are classified as predators in that part of WY, not big game animals like the wolves around Yellowstone.

If they show up on our property, I would Seriously obServe and enjoy the Scenario. cool

Last edited by CRS; 09/29/17.

Arcus Venator
J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by chlinstructor
Had a bare on a big dead cow it killed in the trail where it came down a ridge into a deep wide draw once. It was getting dark and i had to get past that pissed off bear and up the trail out of that canyon and back to camp. I couldnt climb the steep areas back down the valley to get out after dark. Too old to do it anyway. Drilled that growling teeth popping bastid with an arrow as he threatened me and he came for me on a dead run. He made it about half way when he started rolling, flopping and moaning. Muzzy 90 gr 4 blade, old style.

I killed a lot of schitt with those old Muzzy 4 blade broadheads! They were killing machines!

Last buck i shot with one was 13 points and made it 18 steps, Neal.

I Dindo Nuffin
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MOGC
I've often wondered how a guy gets caught shooting a wolf way back in the lonesome when by himself if he practices the SSS doctrine. I hear all these stories of wolves decimating game populations in some very remote areas, killing hunters dogs, ect. and wondered if the wolf isn't wearing a collar what keeps it alive when hunters have that opportunity.

Trust me GC......in most cases it doesn't.

One problem though is how frikin smart they are. Guys were doing a pretty good job calling and trapping them when the feds first delisted them and ID set seasons but that lasted about two years. If you think Coyotes are smart you ain't seen chit.
Another problem and probably the biggest is the Wolves are preying on heards that are miles and miles deep in wilderness areas so they don't see people very often and vise versa.
It's to the point the IDF&G will almost pay for your gas if a guy will trap these areas but with 3-4 feet of snow on the ground during trapping season they don't get a lot of takers.
When I took the 8hr course required to trap Wolves they told us that regardless of what you hear they really have no idea how many Wolves are in ID's wilderness's but they know the Elk populations are almost nonexistent......down 80-85% in some areas.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The elephant in the room here is the governor of Minnesota.

Hello? Hello? Anyone here?

Check out how Gov Butch Otter of Idaho dealt with the Obama Admin.

Hello? Hello.....Governor Dayton.....U ever heard of Donald Trump?

The new President of the United States?

Check it out.

"Shoot low sheriff, I think he's riding a shetland!" B. Wills

J
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
J
Originally Posted by FieldGrade
I've often wondered how a guy gets caught shooting a wolf way back in the lonesome when by himself if he practices the SSS doctrine. I hear all these stories of wolves decimating game populations in some very remote areas, killing hunters dogs, ect. and wondered if the wolf isn't wearing a collar what keeps it alive when hunters have that opportunity.

One problem though is how frikin smart they are. Guys were doing a pretty good job calling and trapping them when the feds first delisted them and ID set seasons but that lasted about two years.
Another problem and probably the biggest is the Wolves are preying on heards that are miles and miles deep in wilderness areas so they don't see people very often and vise versa.
It's to the point the IDF&G will almost pay for your gas if a guy will trap these areas but with 3-4 feet of snow on the ground during trapping season they don't get a lot of takers.
When I took the 8hr course required to trap Wolves they told us that regardless of what you hear they really have no idea how many Wolves are in ID's wilderness's but they know the Elk populations are almost nonexistent......down 80-85% in some areas.

Dayom, FG. Its sickening to hear of that.

I Dindo Nuffin
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

I stand corrected looks like 25 per cent probably close to 30 or more all Wildlife agencies are run by anti hunting tree huggers

https://www.google.com/amp/www.twin...pulation-appears-to-rise-25-percent/amp/

Originally Posted by ihookem
Originally Posted by ribka
A few years ago, 2 , 5 10 or so can't remember, anyhow I go home and grouse hunt nw Wisconsin where I grew up every

year and see my mom.

Walking an over grown logging road with the dog who is ranging 20 to 40 yards ahead of me. I see two large blurs off to my right and my dog races back to me and I see 2 very large grayish coyotes around 70 to 100 lbs right behind her. She's running towards me knowing that she will soon be ripped apart.

Did what I had to do. Shame carrying a sixs that day and not my auto. Could have used an extra round of high brass 6
Oh well live and learn

The locals up there deal with it the correct way and keep quiet

The anti hunters shut down all wolf hunting via lawsuits in 2014 and the wolf populations are exploding in Minnesota Wisconsin and Michigan with a twenty plus per cent growth in population per year

Hate to say but a couple of children dying by wolves only way to change public opinion and it will happen up there

Friends with kids up there have had close calls with wolves and children

Ribka, they did not increase in numbers by 20%. Stop pumping up the story. They only increased 16% this year. Shees. Anyway, the O.P. would have most likely has every right to shoot the wolves earn 6 are charging you , especially when it is attacking a dog , especially , especially , especially with a 3yr old and a 5 yr old kid being darn near run over by a pack of wolves. If that does not define your life in danger , I dont know what does. I always promised myself I would never shoot a wolf illegally.
And I am not snickering. However, if I am in a deer stand and they circle me, or refuse to leave when itty to get down the tree ,or follow me , I believe that defines life in danger. If this happened with my son when he was 3 , that wolf would be shot in the face , period. And if the law didn't believe it was that close I guess they would have to answer how I got so close to a wild wolf with 6 shot to blow the wolves face off. If I was completely alone, and I had to shoot a wolf, I would never report it , especially if I was near a road where I could just drive away.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by FieldGrade

One problem though is how frikin smart they are. Guys were doing a pretty good job calling and trapping them when the feds first delisted them and ID set seasons but that lasted about two years.

Dayom, FG. Its sickening to hear of that.

Yea....and it's even worse in some of the other states. (Jelly Stone is a perfect example).
At least ID immediatlly opened trapping and hunting seasons after the delisting and they've been lifting restrictions, raising quotas, and basically attacking the problem every way possible but we're just treading water.
And I'm not ripping on WY either because they were 100% right in standing their ground.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
When Idaho began issuing wolf tags, I always carried one when elk and deer hunting although never got a shot at one. All the hunters I know carry wolf tags. Several have killed a wolf while big game hunting but wolves are smart and hard to run onto out in the mountains.

Good luck to all wolf hunters.

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
All states that have wolf populations could have year round unregulated sport hunting seasons in place and the wolves will never be gone.

SD does not have an established wolf population, and does not want one in talking with the Game and Fish. I can only hope the ranchers and sportsmen do the proper thing when encountering any wolf, I mean big coyote in SD. So far I believe they have.

Last edited by CRS; 09/30/17.

Arcus Venator
I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I dont know about western states , but the wolf population was 0 or close to it for 50 yrs. There is no doubt hunters could kill off the wolf population, at least in Wisconsins. We did it once and no reason we can't do it again. With all the deer hunters out there we could get rid of them. Then track them in the snow? Not that I want to see every wolf dead, I just dont want their numbers exploding . Mother nature will take care of them too. In WIs. the wolf numbers dropped a whole bunch. In 2004 I noticed a lot of wolf sign for about 5 yrs. Then, almost none . The reason, hunters shot a lot of does , a hard winter, then a harder winter, then, the winter of 2013 to 2014 came. I never saw anything like it . I found dead deer that could not get out of the Hemlocks where they winter cause the snow is not as deep. I saw logging areas that were logged and regenerated by 3' popple saplings that were not even touched. No way for the deer to get to them in winter. This put the hurt on the wolf numbers . I imagine wolf numbers were down 75%. They are still down from 10 yrs ago, but so are the deer, but they are coming back strong form 3 easy winters. The wolf numbers will follow, sadly. There is some good things about wolves. The only thing I hate about them is they can kill your dog, damn near run your 3 yr old boy over , have them circle you and we have no legal right to shoot them when we are clearly in danger , or potential danger. One thing, they kill coyotes, Coyotes kill everything . Wolves will clean up on beavers. Yes, wolves kill deer, and I dont like it . There is one thing I noticed when the wolves and hunters came in to shoot all the does. The woods in Price / Sawyer , co. Wisconsin / Flambeau River State Forest was some of the worst looking forest I ever saw. That woods did not grow a single cedar tree in 75 years. There are no young cedars , Hemlocks, White Pine, Single needle Balsom, White or Red Oak, All these trees left are old growth , mature trees that are dying of old age. There is no regeneration of these trees for at least 75 yrs. Now, since the wolves reduced the deer numbers I am seeing thousands of young White Oak trees, literally a thousand. I see WHite Pines growing all over with them not getting eaten by deer, Hemlocks are popping up but still no cedars at all. In the long run I think if these trees can get above the browse line we will have thousands of oak trees producing acorns and winter cover should be much better than it is now. The maple trees look like they are in a Charlie Brown movie. Stragliest browsed up trees I ever saw and then they die from over browse. This leaves very little for deer to eat and little winter thermal cover to survive winters. Sadly, the DNR does nothing to plant oaks ,Hemlock ETC. on the state forests. Where I hunt , it is not good deer habitat at all cause there were too many deer for a long time . Still dont like wolves though.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
CRS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Remember I said sport hunting, not flying, trapping or poison. Hunters may well be able to eradicate the wolves in WI, never been to that state. But I do not see it happening in N. Minnesota, WY, MT, ID or any other state that still has lots of wilderness.

The forest regeneration is positive habitat restoration, the same type of recovery is happening in Yellowstone with the reduction in elk numbers.

I do not want the wolves gone either, I just think they should be more aggressively managed than the current programs.

Arcus Venator
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ihookem
... The only thing I hate about them is they can kill your dog, damn near run your 3 yr old boy over , have them circle you and we have no legal right to shoot them when we are clearly in danger , or potential danger.

Chit...

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
The last 150 years has proven in The US, Europe, Asia, Russia the only way wolf populations can be controlled is through trapping and poisoning

End of debate. Thinking you can control their populations via sport hunting is foolish and/or stupid

Last edited by ribka; 09/30/17.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by CRS
Remember I said sport hunting, not flying, trapping or poison. Hunters may well be able to eradicate the wolves in WI, never been to that state. But I do not see it happening in N. Minnesota, WY, MT, ID or any other state that still has lots of wilderness.

The forest regeneration is positive habitat restoration, the same type of recovery is happening in Yellowstone with the reduction in elk numbers.

I do not want the wolves gone either, I just think they should be more aggressively managed than the current programs.

The wolves wiped out the elk and moose around Yellowstone ran out out of good because of their very high reproduction rates and spread throughout Montana down into Wyoming and over to Idaho

At least Idaho and Montana allowing trapping

I think Idaho still allows poison thank God

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
What he said. Probably the case.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Still hellacous good elk hunting in Wyoming. Some of the best in the country and hardest tags to get. How does that happen?

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
SSS in action ??

PRESIDENT TRUMP 2024/2028 !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

90 members (Bigd7378, 35, Anaconda, 6MMWASP, BB3, 9 invisible), 1,437 guests, and 840 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,532
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.