Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Originally Posted by dvnv
Not trying to argue that alcohol is not an intoxicant at low levels, just trying to argue that it doesn't seriously impact driving ability at .05. By seriously, I mean there is a meaningful statistical difference in that person's chances of driving without an accident.

All the studies ever done prove otherwise. Noticeable and effective impairment on driving skills tests begins by .02 at the least, and by .035 someone performs at best with half the ability they started with. And yes, car accidents are caused/avoided in milliseconds of response time and coordination.

If your golfer buddies were going to play for money in an amateur tournament tomorrow morning with a chance for the winner to make sizable one-time earnings and get a shot at pro sponsorship if they performed exceptionally well, would they knock down two beers at 8am and a short shot of whiskey just before taking the greens?

If those same gentleman were supposed to drive the school bus to your kids basketball game tonight, would you meet them at the bar at 3:30 this afternoon and buy them free shots?

If you were out walking your dog on a side road coming back to your house and one of those buddies was driving oncoming after drinking just two beers less than an hour ago while at the same time there was traffic from the other direction, would you be content that he can pass you within a couple of feet and not mess up?

Some of those golfing buddies have sipped beer throughout a morning round in an amateur tournament, no money at stake, but plenty of pride. Not condoning it, just commenting on performance. 2 beers and a shot at 8:00 am is going to put you above the BAC I thought we were talking about.

No, I wouldn't buy the bus driver shots at 3:30.

I wouldn't be worried walking my dog with a two beer driver coming my way...well, maybe if he was messing with his cell phone at the time.

Response times vary greatly between people and age groups, lots of people with poor response times are legally driving.

Aces below tells of another study with different findings, maybe bias, maybe they were trying to evaluate something other than maximum performance.

Is someone with .05 BAC a much greater risk on the road than one with .08? You say there is a difference, I say the difference isn't worth a new restriction.

I live in a state where safety laws are regularly passed (including gun laws), all in the name of good...sure has changed the living experience over the past 50-60 years. Some good, some not so good...it surely isn't as "free" as it used to be. Laissez faire doesn't work all that well, trying to legislate 100% safety doesn't work all that well either, there needs to be balance. IMO .05 BAC = DUI is too far on the safety side. Sounds like your opinion differs. I have spoken my piece, take it fwiw.

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Officers already cite people for DUI based on the person's performance on field sobriety test even when they blow less than 0.08. Might as well make the BAC value lower, than it will be more black and white and not left to some officer's opinion.

About 25 yrs ago or so, my roomate had gotten pulled over for speeding after leaving the bar. He failed a field sobriety test in the opinion of the rookie cop. He took him in and he blew 0.07 (and this was back when the legal limit was 0.10) but still got the DUI charge. He ended up paying a bunch of money for a lawyer and getting the ticket reduced to just speeding but that cost him a lot of money.

I was drinking with him at the bar and left right before him. I sure didn't think he was impaired at the time. Seems like it is left up to the interpretation of the officer anyway no matter what value BAC you have. Ever since then, I've always wished they could just do away with field sobriety tests and simply go by BAC level (and if they want to lower it a little bit more, so be it).

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by dvnv
Is someone with .05 BAC a much greater risk on the road than one with .08? You say there is a difference, I say the difference isn't worth a new restriction.

I live in a state where safety laws are regularly passed (including gun laws), all in the name of good...sure has changed the living experience over the past 50-60 years. Some good, some not so good...it surely isn't as "free" as it used to be. Laissez faire doesn't work all that well, trying to legislate 100% safety doesn't work all that well either, there needs to be balance. IMO .05 BAC = DUI is too far on the safety side. Sounds like your opinion differs. I have spoken my piece, take it fwiw.

Your response shows discernment, and I agree with your reflection that doing nothing results in anarchy while doing everything results in bondage.

"Your piece" is why I enjoy the 'Fire so much, and it demonstrates the power of social media to influence a preferred future. Truly, thank you.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by MtnBoomer
Originally Posted by smokepole

Bullsh**. I never bitched about it, or portrayed offenders as victims. All I said was that people with a vested financial interest in the outcome should not be making the decisions on whether someone needs "more counseling.". This whole back-and-forth between you and I started because you said "it's not about the money," which is also bullsh**.

And I did give viable alternatives, you just chose to ignore them.

Wahhhhhh! Poor poor poor offeners getting off without a conviction when they've pled guilty... It's about the victims not the money dude.

LOL, you're the only one whining and you're using emotional arguments rather than facts. Your problem (and the source of our disagreement) is, you can't tell the difference between an alcoholic repeat DUI offender who blows a .23 BAC five hours later and a young kid who makes a stupid mistake once and never repeats it. You keep bringing up victims, an emotional appeal if I ever saw one. The alcoholic repeat DUI offender either has victims or is likely to have them in the near future. The young kid who never repeats his mistake doesn't. There is a difference whether you want to admit it or not.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member

"doing nothing results in anarchy while doing everything results in bondage."

I wish I had said that, thanks for the discussion.

IC B2

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M

Bullsh**. I never bitched about it, or portrayed offenders as victims. All I said was that people with a vested financial interest in the outcome should not be making the decisions on whether someone needs "more counseling.". This whole back-and-forth between you and I started because you said "it's not about the money," which is also bullsh**.

And I did give viable alternatives, you just chose to ignore them.

Wahhhhhh! Poor poor poor offeners getting off without a conviction when they've pled guilty... It's about the victims not the money dude.

LOL, you're the only one whining and you're using emotional arguments rather than facts. Your problem (and the source of our disagreement) is, you can't tell the difference between an alcoholic repeat DUI offender who blows a .23 BAC five hours later and a young kid who makes a stupid mistake once and never repeats it. You keep bringing up victims, an emotional appeal if I ever saw one. The alcoholic repeat DUI offender either has victims or is likely to have them in the near future. The young kid who never repeats his mistake doesn't. There is a difference whether you want to admit it or not.

LOL

If you think all folks that get fugged by DUI is emotional, you're right, just ask their families.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
If you think every DUI results in a crash and victims, and every offender requires counseling from organizations that profit from it you're a fool.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
If you think every DUI results in a crash and victims, and every offender requires counseling from organizations that profit from it you're a fool.

Don't believe I made such claims. How do you propose diversion should work if you are unhappy with your son's experience? Been better to just have a conviction or what? Like some sort of staggered levels of treatment based on BACs? You say someone that does not have a vested interest in prolonging treatment should decide how long treatment lasts. Who and how? And what evidence do you have that such abuse of the system occurs? You said that's what your son said. Was his treatment unfairly extended? Do you have evidence of your future prediction that there will be no re-occurrance? If you think DUI laws are purely driven by financial interests of diversion councilors and not the seriousness of the offenders' action you are a fool. Your guilty son got off without a conviction, sounds like a bargain. Cheers.

"I can't be canceled, because, I don't give a fuuck!"
--- Kid Rock 2022

Holocaust Deniers, the ultimate perverted dipchits: Bristoe, TheRealHawkeye, stophel, Ghostinthemachine, anyone else?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You gotta be stupid to drive after you've been drinking. I'm about .09 right now.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ltppowell
You gotta be stupid to drive after you've been drinking. I'm about .09 right now.

Race ya. grin But safely sitting on the sofa watching Longmire.

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B3

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
We have a constitutional right to own and bare arms. We don't have the same for endangering others by driving intoxicated. That be the difference.

Thank GOD short sleeves was in the constitution!

Good one!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Pugs
Originally Posted by ltppowell

Race ya. grin But safely sitting on the sofa watching Longmire.

I've raced you before. I can't remember who won

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Impulse control ain’t for everybody. On the Fire or at the bar.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
".05" is a bullshit number, anyway.

They hafta cheat on the number, cause nobody'd believe the *real" number they're measurin.

One machine, set whatever way it is.

An "average" person, of "average" sex, with "average" lung capacity, blows an "average" amount of air from the "middle" of their alveoli.

Their lungs gotta be "average", or the results won't be "right".

Through possible mouth alcohol, or blood alcohol from a cut lip, bit tongue, or bad gums.

And the claim is they can measure blood content with accuracy in the ten thousandths, 1/10,000 range, not from blood, but from air in the lungs.

Anybody old enough ta drink, should be too old to believe that fairy tale.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Fubarski
".05" is a bullshit number, anyway.

They hafta cheat on the number, cause nobody'd believe the *real" number they're measurin.

One machine, set whatever way it is.

An "average" person, of "average" sex, with "average" lung capacity, blows an "average" amount of air from the "middle" of their alveoli.

Their lungs gotta be "average", or the results won't be "right".

Through possible mouth alcohol, or blood alcohol from a cut lip, bit tongue, or bad gums.

And the claim is they can measure blood content with accuracy in the ten thousandths, 1/10,000 range, not from blood, but from air in the lungs.

Anybody old enough ta drink, should be too old to believe that fairy tale.

Lol...aren't you ever concerned that some kid might read the stuff you write and believe it?

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
You're certainly welcome ta keep your head up your ass.

And there's no doubt it's better for you, that way.

H
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
H
.05-.10 BAC been making widows and orphans for YEARS!

Well, not really.....

As a member of present society, I do not care.
Dope, abortion, illegal alien and federally funded depravity missed the attention the Volstead Act seems to conjure up in the social justice warrior or lawyer induced heroine.

Three beers in an hour sets the world alight with indignation whilst an inner city crack whore gets unlimited abortions, medicinal pot and five welfare checks plus an EBT card.

FWIW, "Whitey" is more apt to be the three beers an hour type. "Jesus" is more apt to be the .30 and kill your kid type, but let's not be judgemental rascists and settle for the middle class crackers.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ya wanna avoid dead people, drink all ya want, and text while drivin, all ya want.

But, don't do it at more than ten miles per hour.

Oh, they've done the science, just like the breathalyzer "science".

99% of all traffic fatalities could be avoided, if all vehicles were limited to 10 miles per hour.

But, nobody wants ta drive 10 miles per hour.

So, the simple fact is, that people are willing to accept a certain amount of carnage, even affecting those they "know", in order to travel in the manner we are accustomed to.

Some people is gonna cause that carnage cause they's on a cell phone.

Some is gonna cause it cause they're fcked up.

But the simple fact is that, in order ta get from point a ta point b, at the speed people want ta move, you're rollin the dice.

It's a fairy tale ta think you can change that fact.

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alwaysoutdoors
STFU

Probably the best post of the thread....

Perfect example of why some people shouldn't be near a key board when they
have a BAL of 10.00......

how's that hot romance going?

you two married yet, or is she pregnant yet?

in your neck of the world... a quick marriage, or someone getting pregnant
into a 2 week relationship... usually involves lots of alcohol consumption...

Wishing you two love birds all the best...

thanks for dropping by!

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
After reading thru the thread tonight, some very interesting discussions..

and some interesting posts by LEOs and former LEOs....

Boomer in your case, is your responses coming from your drinking actually
hurting someone permanently? alot of time around 12 step programs
sure makes me suspect of that...if you posted so, then sorry I missed it..

but that would certainly explain your stance.....

a few posts from Minnesota.....that place is looney tunes on the subject..

Lord knows how many rehab facilities are in the state... the biggest being Hazeltine...

two quick stories of MN and DUIs..

1. Brother in law had worked a 24 hours straight at the Post Office, and he gets home to finding
a note on the frig about being out of milk for the kids for cereal in the morning and would he go
down to the store and get some.. he gets down to the store, goes in and gets the milk.

then out in his car, he's too tired to even drive home...he puts the seat back for a quick nap,
its winter time so he turns the engine on....cops knocks on his window to wake him up an
hour later... asks him if he has been drinking, he says no.....asked does he need to take a breathe
test... he answers no... Cops states that was a refusal... arrests him, impounds the car..
drops him off at Hazeltine on Medicine Lake.. for 72 hours observation.....

2. my younger brother worked a 16 hours double shift at his job.. they were having a get together
at a bar/restaurant over in Corcoran....he drops by at midnight, and stays until the place closes at
1 am... out in the parking lot after most had left, he was tired and put the seat back....he had had
one non alcoholic beer... knowing he was tired... 15 below outside... so he turns the engine on for the
heat... 2 hours later, cop knocks on the window....sees a beer can by the car....

gets my brother out to produce a D/L and Registration/Insurance... which he does..
while checking that, cops casually asks if he would like to take a Breath test..

Brother says, "not really"... cop spends him around, tells him he is under arrest for a DUI
for refusing the test....in MN it is evidently illegal or considered a DUI for being in a vehicle
behind the steering wheel.. with the engine running, even in winter time for running the heater..
even if the vehicle is in park....and the cop is knocking on the window because the vehicle
hasn't moved in 1 to 2 hours....

both times, the cop duped each of these two into a "refusal"...

both got DUIs for being in a parked vehicle, behind the wheel, with the motor running
and observed the car being parked for several hours.. the drivers with the seat back..
engine running for heat when it was below zero outside....

if all of this isn't about revenue nationally... it certainly is in Hennepin County....

being a traveler, with a job of on the road sales rep, I've had similar situations when I was too tired
to drive... but I always had the common sense to put the seat back in the passenger side.. and not
be behind the wheel... and cops would rap on the window if you weren't in a rest area...

and they always asked if I would like to take a breath test... I always answered sure.. get it out..
answered positively, they never took it out... guess they could see I was straight.. but that never
stopped them from trying to sucker one into refusing it...

I've been pulled over locally here, 3 times in the last year or so....cops ask if I had been drinking
tell them no.... asked if I would take a breath test, sure.. as I don't drink period or use drugs..
then they want to know why I am driving 5 mph under the posted speed limit....

because not everyone is a speeder... thats why....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

622 members (1936M71, 222Sako, 2500HD, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 67 invisible), 2,579 guests, and 1,335 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,715
Posts18,475,585
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.