Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thinking a lot of "cerakote" is duracoat. So many outfits are doing it now a days are out to make a quick buck. They know even if they do a good job the average customer is going to be a one time deal. I would never send out a gun to be coated. I want to be able to deal with someone personally. Less likely to screw you if you can go pound on their door. Also complaints carry more weight among the local shooting community when coming from another local.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JoeMartin
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I've had a few rifles with ceracoat and they scratched easier than if I had Krylon'd them. Ridiculous. To me it's a scam run by scammers. Never had any experience to show me otherwise. Maybe it can be done right, but I've never seen it.

Dang Roy, you must have gone to school with my Dad, actually he may have been your teacher. He used black Krylon on his old shotguns, Joe.

$4 vs. $100 and the same results.

LOL
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been using Norrell Moly Resin for a few things and it seems to be a pretty good product. It is sprayed on using an airbrush and baked. I have refinished a couple of handguns that came out nicely, and most recently refinished a 77V barreled action that I received back from Pac-Nor in December. The Norrell website has (or at least HAD, at one time) some testing data on the product.

I like the appearance of the stuff. I'll be finding out more about its durability over the coming years.

I have an econo-custom 98 in .280 (a great shooter, even with its cheap A&B barrel) which I bought finished with Duracoat (allegedly). I don't have reason to doubt that this is what the finish is, but I honestly don't know it for a fact. It seems to be okay for the most part, but it is chipping off at the edge of the muzzle. I think I'm going to blast that finish off and Moly Resin it also.

I took photos of the 77 with my phone , but it's hard to get that camera to do what I want to show detail. Here's one anyway:

[Linked Image]

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I’ve also not been overly impressed with ceracoat. It shows superficial marks more than any other finish I own. I’ve got 3 guns coated and one duracoated flat turkey 870. The duracoated 870 holds up just as well as the ceracoated rifles and it gets carried a lot more.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Turned it in today
Gloss black way to reflective
Picked an "elite" series color midnight e-110
Told em to make a semi gloss
Showed a bunch of projects one color versus the other

Late next week
125 bucks.
See how it looks

Last edited by renegade50; 01/30/18.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by HiredGun
If it is going to be in the weather much bluing starts rusting right away and can be rubbed through in very short order. Check out the durability tests. For the real skeptics there are a bunch of tests published on youtube by private individuals that show the same as results as long as it's properly installed.

Cerakote done properly should be at least as tough as what ever is under it. Over tool steel they are almost impossible to scratch. I have put it on vise grips and you can destroy a piece of pipe with them and not wear it off the tips on the jaws. On a Stanley hammer head you can pound in a bunch of 16 penny nails and it doesn't touch the face of that hammer. I live on the Oregon coast and have a test barrel I let people beat on and scratch and you have to put a very sharp edge into it to get it to scratch. A hammer simply dents the steel even glancing blows won't expose the metal under it. This barrel lives in a ditch or buried in the wife's flower bed and has lived out there 24/7 since about 200 when we were certified in it's application. Where ever it is through the finish is rusted but as long as the base metal doesn't show it still looks new.

I have taken to bringing a bit of OxphoBlue with me on extended hunts and find it can be applied in a tent in the serious Boonies easily... and it does a great job of fixing any issues I have bumped into...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Renegade,

If your rifle is di assembled and polished we will HOT blue it $100. We use Brownells products You pay shipping and insurance both ways.

Can send you a copy of our FFL.

Lefty C

R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Thanks for the offer man.
I turned it in yesterday
Got it down to 220 level
Getting oxide blasted to 120 evenly, then painted and cooked.

I'm gonna roll with the cerracoat job, ain't got a gun done in it, so this will be it.
Call It good , only a 165 dollar pawn shop find
Foul weather gun, use the mod70ot6 safe queen in good weather.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sitka, I use Oxpho Blue for touchup in the shop. One thing for sure if it isn't neutralized real good before left for any length of time you will wake up to a serious rusted mess.

Sunday was the last day of duck season here on the coast. My son spent the day sea duck hunting in a kayak around the mouth of the Coos Bay bar and just inside the bay. His Remington 1100 was rained on, submerged in salt water and every paddle stroke poured sea water all over that shotgun inside and out. Thank goodness he had a tether on it. He didn't take any oil of any sort. He was wiped when he got home so the shotgun was left unloved on a stool in the garage. He finally got to tear it down last night and after over 48 hours since it's last exposure to the ocean it is still flawless. The kayak was one of those hard plastic jobs so it was under constant sand and plastic abrasion the whole time. There is no bluing in the world that wouldn't have been destroyed from one trip like this but this shotgun thrives in it year after year thanks to Cerakote.

"Hired Gun" Quickest and fastest all motor sand car on the planet.
3.008 at 104.8 300' of sand.

NRA Patron Life Member, Gunsmith, Instructor, Chief RSO
R
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Since I started the great cerracoat debate

Outta the shop and done
Put back together about 3 hr ago at the house
Nice blue black hue in daylight
Ain't looked at assembled rifle in daylight yet
Bout 20ish coats of 50- 50 mix mineral spirits and tru oil
Im happy with it.
Midnight e-110 with a little bit of gloss black h-109

Click enlarge rotate can't figure out posting pics again

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12620333/36g

Last edited by renegade50; 02/07/18.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

252 members (257 mag, 12344mag, 2500HD, 10ring1, 1lessdog, 160user, 32 invisible), 1,667 guests, and 1,062 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,630
Posts18,492,978
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.