Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
Does anyone have any experience/opinions on the Leica Magnus scopes ? I have a 1-6.3x24mm with the illuminated 4a in transit. Based the purchase on the ERi's that I have.

GB1

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
which experience you need?
sum sumarum: there is nothing even and close to Leica regarding optic, reliability and mechanical design. They just keep proving it times again. If you can to get one do not miss it, and trow the warranty in garbage for you will never ever need it.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I’d agree with what was said. My Leica Binoculars are built like a tank and every scope I’ve seen of theirs was top notch.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I am not a long range shooter so my scopes are set and forget. I have a couple of the ERi 2.5-10x42's that seem to be very good scopes, particularly with the discontinued pricing. I also have a 7x42 Ultravid HD binocular that I have used for a few years and am very happy with it.

Longer story short verse, I now have a 1-6.3 Magnus illuminated 4a inbound. I have little doubt the glass and coating will provide a stellar view for its objective and power range and expect it to be durable and rugged for a hunting scope.

I was interested specifically in the likes / dislikes of the illumination controls function. I personally like the rotary dial type mounted opposite of the windage dial, with off positions between settings, of the ones that I have experience with.

I will soon find out if the ocular mounted pressure / push type control is a go or no-go for me. Supposedly it is usable with gloves.

L
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
The scope arrived a few weeks ago, but was out of town for a couple of weeks immediately following its arrival.
Anyways I have played with it enough to become somewhat familiar with it.

I was hesitant over the ocular mounted illumination control, but it seems workable and have no issue with it. I don't see a big issue with getting to the power adjustment ring. The rocker type illumination control is also workable and between the day / night settings has Lots of intensity choices. It definitely gets amply low and way past what I need for bright.

The reticle is the 4a, though different from the 4a in my ERi 2.5-10's. This one, the dot is connected to the vertical and horizontal wires. I think, I would prefer the Plex on this scope, I like the more restricted / tighter opening of the Plex in low light. Though the illumination makes the reticle a moot point.

This is not a lightweight scope. By eyeball measurement it appears a 1/2-3/4" shorter than a Swarovski 1-6, when both are adjusted to my eye.
The optics of course, seem very good.
No regrets on the purchase, but will go with the Plex reticle if there is another in the future.

Now the decision of which rifle it is going on, probably a 375 or 416.

Added: It does have a huge field of view. Whether significant or not, slightly noticeable more than the Swarovski 1-6 at living room distances.

Last edited by ldmay375; 02/16/18. Reason: FOV comment.
IC B2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10gaugemag, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 62 invisible), 2,394 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,423
Posts18,470,653
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.