Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Have an 84 M .308-If I put 4 rounds in the magazine if cycles flawlessly, but if I put that 5th round in the 1st round get hung up 1/2 way into the cycle. The gun is accurate and a joy to carry, but it bugs me a $1300 rifle has this issue...should I just run 4 rounds and go with it or is there an easy fix? is this a common problem with kimber?

HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I wouldn't give up on it. I would polish all the rail surfaces with 2000 grit and try a heavier or new stock mag spring. It's also possible that the spring moved out of optimal placement when assembling the rifle, Brad posted a solution recently with a clip or some such to hold the spring in place,if I remember correctly. Maybe you could PM Brad about it,or perhaps he will chime in here.

Does it scratch brass at all?

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 01/19/18.
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
yes, the brass does scratch

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Run 4 rounds in the mag and relax.

Never take life to seriously, after all ,no one gets out of it alive.
V
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
V
Yep, i would just run 4 rounds and be Thankful thats your only issue with a Kimber...Good luck.......Hb

IC B2

RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Type: 84M
Material: Stainless steel
Finish: Satin stainless steel
Magazine capacity: 4
Front locking repeater
Mauser claw extractor
3-position Model 70-type wing safety

Dave

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
RDW....

You didn’t plagiarize that off their website didn’t you?

Shame shame...

K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
But...............

Classic Select.....308 win.

Type: 84M
Material: Steel
Finish: Matte black
Magazine capacity: 5
Front locking repeater
Mauser claw extractor
3-position Model 70-type wing safety

Follow R H Clarks advice, it will work. Make sure that magazine box is loose.

Last edited by K22; 01/20/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What does the OP have???

Blind mag or dropbox?

Either way

If 4+1 rounds of 308 can’t do what you need it to, it might be time to re-evaluate what you are doing at that, and why you brought a bolt .308... you might need something belted or belt-fed....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
And shame on you for plagiarizing also!!!

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Mjduct
What does the OP have???

Blind mag or dropbox?

Either way

If 4+1 rounds of 308 can’t do what you need it to, it might be time to re-evaluate what you are doing at that, and why you brought a bolt .308... you might need something belted or belt-fed....

mag with the floor plate...and I was thinking the same. When I take kids hunting I always tell them "we will load 3 but you only need one..." It just bothers me when things aren't as they are supposed to be.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What is your COL? You might try loading them a touch shorter.

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
K
K22 Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
Originally Posted by Mjduct
And shame on you for plagiarizing also!!!

grin

I have to agree with the OP. If it says it will hold 5, then it better hold and feed 5.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
My Longmaster used to scratch the top round as well. Was going to polish the corner off the feed rail, but a sudden need for cash put an end to our relationship. The new owner wasn't a reloader.

Other than that issue, it was a peach. Not sure if I mourn it or the B&L 4200 1.5-6x42 it wore more.

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Inspect the rails for burrs or irregularity.

Hone the bottom edges of the rails if brass is scratched.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have a Kimber Caprivi .375. it was early production model and I bought it new. Came with beautiful wood and a slick action. However, with factory ammo it shot about 2". Stated mag capacity was 4 rounds. Unfortunately, if I loaded 4 rounds, it wouldn't feed the first round.

Sent it back to Kimber under warranty. I had to pay the shipping. They returned it stating that it shot within factory standards and also that they replaced the magazine box. Upon return, it exhibited exactly the same problems as before. This was unacceptable!

I then took it to a riflesmith who milled the box and rails so it would feed properly and "tweaked the bedding". Now it shoots ~1" and feeds all four rounds perfectly. I'm now happy with the rifle and would not hesitate to take it to Africa.

If "the devil is in the details", Kimber dropped the ball on this one. It galled me to spend around $3K for a rifle and then spend several hundred more to get it to work.

Mine was an early production rifle. Hopefully, they have corrected the problems in later production Caprivis. It is, after all, supposed to be a dangerous game rifle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Winchestermodel70
I have a Kimber Caprivi .375. it was early production model and I bought it new. Came with beautiful wood and a slick action. However, with factory ammo it shot about 2". Stated mag capacity was 4 rounds. Unfortunately, if I loaded 4 rounds, it wouldn't feed the first round.

Sent it back to Kimber under warranty. I had to pay the shipping. They returned it stating that it shot within factory standards and also that they replaced the magazine box. Upon return, it exhibited exactly the same problems as before. This was unacceptable!

I then took it to a riflesmith who milled the box and rails so it would feed properly and "tweaked the bedding". Now it shoots ~1" and feeds all four rounds perfectly. I'm now happy with the rifle and would not hesitate to take it to Africa.

If "the devil is in the details", Kimber dropped the ball on this one. It galled me to spend around $3K for a rifle and then spend several hundred more to get it to work.

Mine was an early production rifle. Hopefully, they have corrected the problems in later production Caprivis. It is, after all, supposed to be a dangerous game rifle.

My opinion is that Kimber is good on design,not so much on execution of that design. You just need to know that going in and be prepared to tweek stuff yourself,even though you shouldn't have to.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

No.....they still miss more stuff then they should.

If you buy a Kimber it's best you know how to fix rifle problems

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Say it ain't so!

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
RDW Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bad assumption on my part since Kimber and 84 is almost always a Montana, seem to be far more out there than other models.

Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

522 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 17CalFan, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 160user, 56 invisible), 2,399 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,378
Posts18,488,532
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.