Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Parts ain't parts.

Name recognition does not mean quality.

They're not legos. The guns, made of moving parts, that work together in a system, and the quality of those parts directly impact the end result.

Don't skimp on BCGs. These are pics of two bolts that broke identically, within 24 hours of each other. They're from a "name brand" company. Both were marked MPI, one was also marked 9310. There's no telling if they were tested individually or in batches and neither were HPT. Budget BCGs work, until they don't.

If anybody can post these pics I'd appreciate it.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt.../12565244/parts-ain-t-parts#Post12565244

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
The real problem is how do you know.....

I mean you can pay way to much because someones name is on it and know they are backing it up.

Or what are the other options... I just tend to go to a certain dealer when it really matters and they get good stuff, but don't mark it up due to the name like some others do.

Its a tough world out there!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
There are so many "name brands" out there now that weren't even in the business 10 years ago, some not even 5 yet they have a loyal following of fan boys who don't know the difference between quality and discount.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
OK, so what's the name of the "name brand" bolts that broke on you, Blue?

How many rounds?

MM

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
what caused them to break? Could the manufacturer have done anything different that would have prevented the failures? Is it just a case of 'chit happens'?

Sam......

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

If anybody can post these pics I'd appreciate it.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Aero precision bcg? It wouldn't be my first choice.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
A
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
A
So much for 9310 being stronger then Carpenter 158.

You didn't use logic or reason to get into this opinion, I cannot use logic or reason to get you out of it.

You cannot over estimate the unimportance of nearly everything. John Maxwell
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Aero, the maker of the best scope mount out there according to some?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
And this built by crap... ROTFLMAO.... unless you are machining the barrel and setting the extension and chambering, its all assembly, not built by.... like it takes anything to put one of these critters together..> heck I'm proof of that.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rost495
And this built by crap... ROTFLMAO.... unless you are machining the barrel and setting the extension and chambering, its all assembly, not built by.... like it takes anything to put one of these critters together..> heck I'm proof of that.

Come on now rost495.
So unless you cut down the trees, milled the wood, forged the nails, cut and finished the granite, formed and fired the bricks , etc., etc., etc., you haven't built a house?

I guess I was just a home assembler all those years.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"My Build" just sounds better than "My Assembly"

I could wish a lot of things on my worst enemy but neuropathy ain't one of them.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Slapping together parts on an AR doesn't constitute building one, I agree with Jeff.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antelope_sniper
So much for 9310 being stronger then Carpenter 158.

9310 per se' is not the problem; it's how & where it was produced, heat treated & processed.................just sayin'.

MM

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by NVhntr

Come on now rost495.
So unless you cut down the trees, milled the wood, forged the nails, cut and finished the granite, formed and fired the bricks , etc., etc., etc., you haven't built a house?

I guess I was just a home assembler all those years.

As they say, YMMV. Anyone can put the parts together. Just like anyone can build a house. It really isn't hard.

But not everyone can turn a barrel, thread it, put it on, chamber it, crown it, cut threads for can etc...and headspace. I'm not sure how to compare that to building trades, but not sure how that fits in the picture either.

And should be fine here, we argue about shooting a deer or hunting a deer if its over 200 yards all the time too....

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
The real problem is how do you know.....

I mean you can pay way to much because someones name is on it and know they are backing it up.

Or what are the other options... I just tend to go to a certain dealer when it really matters and they get good stuff, but don't mark it up due to the name like some others do.

You've gotta figure out what names actually charge for quality. It's not really fair to just say that they're charging for their name. Some names are more expensive because they've built a reputation for quality, just like your dealer has made a reputation for the same.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by MontanaMan
OK, so what's the name of the "name brand" bolts that broke on you, Blue?

How many rounds?

MM

They're both from Radical Firearms. They're not mine, but I'd say it's a VERY safe guess that they have less than 2K rounds apiece.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
what caused them to break? Could the manufacturer have done anything different that would have prevented the failures? Is it just a case of 'chit happens'?

No idea what exactly caused it, but two bolts breaking in half in the exact same way makes me strongly suspect that there's a QC / material issue.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Aero precision bcg? It wouldn't be my first choice.

That lower is an Aero, but I have no idea who they sourced the BCGs from. I'm sure Radical doesn't actually manufacture any of that stuff themselves.

Which is a problem with a lot of these companies. The rifle that worked great for your friend last year may have been assembled with completely different parts than the rifle you but this year.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Aero, the maker of the best scope mount out there according to some?

I have no idea who makes that BCG.

All of the Aero BCGs that I've seen have had forward assist cuts, and these didn't. So it makes me think the BCG wasn't Aero.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

608 members (204guy, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 01Foreman400, 257 mag, 60 invisible), 2,499 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,602
Posts18,492,280
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.