-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
B
I've been using the 140's in a 7mm08 for a few weeks and have been very happy with the accuracy during load development. Largest groups were around an inch and smallest were .5" . Dug a couple out of the frozen dirt been and was happy to see that they held together quite well. H4350 is giving me around 2750 which is fine by me.

GB1

W
WAM Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Interesting comments. I have seen excellent results on big deer and elk with the TBBC in .35 Whelen and 7mm RM. I’m sure the TBT produces very similar results. Funny no one has mentioned the nickel plated issue.

Is the nickel plating an issue ? Does it deposit fouling in the Bore or cause excessive erosion?

Life Member NRA, RMEF, American Legion, MAGA. Not necessarily in that order.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by WAM
Interesting comments. I have seen excellent results on big deer and elk with the TBBC in .35 Whelen and 7mm RM. I’m sure the TBT produces very similar results. Funny no one has mentioned the nickel plated issue.

Is the nickel plating an issue ? Does it deposit fouling in the Bore or cause excessive erosion?

Not that I can tell. Only ran about 25 of them through my 270 so far but I can’t see a difference.

The Bore is DBC’ed though, if that matters.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat
I'm very interested to see what comes of this projectile myself. it looks like a nearly perfect mix of features, though I've read that the published BC's are ambitious.

that said, many BC's look to be quite ambitious.

Inside 600 yards BC matters little.

I disagree, utterly. BC is a bullet's measure of efficiency as it flies. More efficient bullets are less pushed by wind, less slowed by air. They hit with velocity closer to their starting velocity compared with less efficient bullets. It all matters, or we'd be shooting round balls.

I ran into a guy shooting a RUM loaded with Core-Lokts, one day out shooting. I started up a conversation with him about ballistics and his reasoning for owning a RUM over the 30-06 I was shooting, loaded with Bergers. His reasoning was "to make shots past 300 yds". I explained to him that my '06 was sighted in for a MPBR of 300yds, and that beyond 400, mine had caught and passed his for energy. He looked at me like I was crazy. I shook my head when I saw the 4" groups he was shooting at 100yds, with a wicked flinch. No, BC matters. A lot.

So you are saying very minor differances in BC matter out to 600?
Which berger are you shooting in your -06?

Last edited by BWalker; 01/22/18.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
WAM,

I've shot Trophy Bonded Tips in several rifles that haven't been Dyna Bore-Coated, and also own a Hawkeye bore-scope so can look inside the entire bore. Haven't seen any problems, either inside the barrel or on targets.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
I'd like to see this bullet fired into dry print. Those water jug test are worthless.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
SU35,

I've done that with both the original TBBC and the TBT, and the results are identical. Which isn't surprising, since the interior construction is exactly the same when both bullets are sectioned.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
THAT, is good information. Thanks!

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Yes thanks, I’m glad we are able to buy them. I hope they make other caliber bullets available, like 140-6.5’s. I don’t know if Jack made 6.5’s, I bought 7mm and .30’s from him.

Last edited by hanco; 01/22/18.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by hanco
Yes thanks, I’m glad we are able to buy them. I hope they make other caliber bullets available, like 140-6.5’s

I would like that for my 264!

Semper Fi
IC B3

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Yep, Creedmoor and 26 Nosler too

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
What are the real world BC's on these bullets?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm very interested to see what comes of this projectile myself. it looks like a nearly perfect mix of features, though I've read that the published BC's are ambitious.

I disagree, utterly. BC is a bullet's measure of efficiency as it flies. More efficient bullets are less pushed by wind, less slowed by air. They hit with velocity closer to their starting velocity compared with less efficient bullets. It all matters, or we'd be shooting round balls.

I ran into a guy shooting a RUM loaded with Core-Lokts, one day out shooting. I started up a conversation with him about ballistics and his reasoning for owning a RUM over the 30-06 I was shooting, loaded with Bergers. His reasoning was "to make shots past 300 yds". I explained to him that my '06 was sighted in for a MPBR of 300yds, and that beyond 400, mine had caught and passed his for energy. He looked at me like I was crazy. I shook my head when I saw the 4" groups he was shooting at 100yds, with a wicked flinch. No, BC matters. A lot.

Not sure what the world is coming to. A couple days ago, smokepole agreed with me, today I'm agreeing with BWalker. Go figure.

Federal lists the .308" 165g TBT as having a B.C. of .45 and the 165g AccuBond at .475.

Looking at Federals ballistic charts, which only go to 500 yards, there is about 1" difference in drop and drift between their .30-06/165g/2800fps TBT and the AB loads. Using my ballistic calculator and extending the range to 600 yards, there is a 2" difference. Retained velocity and energy at 6oo come in at 1753fps and 1125fpe for the TBT, 1800fps and 1187fpe for the AB.

snooze...

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Not sure what the world is coming to. A couple days ago, smokepole agreed with me, today I'm agreeing with BWalker. Go figure.

Federal lists the .308" 165g TBT as having a B.C. of .45 and the 165g AccuBond at .475.

Looking at Federals ballistic charts, which only go to 500 yards, there is about 1" difference in drop and drift between their .30-06/165g/2800fps TBT and the AB loads. Using my ballistic calculator and extending the range to 600 yards, there is a 2" difference. Retained velocity and energy at 6oo come in at 1753fps and 1125fpe for the TBT, 1800fps and 1187fpe for the AB.

snooze...

And it would ake some crazy comparasion for a 30-06 to catch a RUM inside 600 yards.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I bought a box of 160 grain 7mm Trophy Bonded Tips but haven't shot them yet. I bought them for my 7mm Weatherby Magnum, which shoots the 140 grain and 160 grain Barnes TSXs very well. These new Bonded Tips should be more of the same, and with a better BC.

I still have two boxes of the original Trophy Bonded Bear Claws in 7mm 160 grain. I spoke with Carter on the phone several times back in the late 1980s. He said the optimum bullet in the 30-06 is the 165 grain. I used his 180 grainers in a 300 Weatherby to shoot an elk in 1991. Worked pretty good, too.

As I remember, Mule Deer said somewhere that the old Bear Claws shoot well if the bullet's shank fits your bore closely. If the bullets don't match up well with your bore, not so hot. The new Bonded Tips fix this with the Barnes-style grooves. Barnes TSX bullets have shot well in every rifle I tried so far. Several of my custom barreled rifles shoot cup-and-core bullets only so-so, but shoot the TSXs very well indeed. I'm going to try them in the Weatherby if the weather ever cooperates.

NRA Endowment Life Member, G.O.A supporter
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

snooze...

And it would ake some crazy comparasion for a 30-06 to catch a RUM inside 600 yards.

Or you could run some numbers, possibly be proven wrong, and have to submit that a bullet with BC .36 started at 3100 gets caught and passed by a bullet with BC .558
started at 2780 at 5000ft ASL. BC matters. More than cartridges, and long before six hundred yards. But what matters more, and what you seem to have missed, is that a light-recoiling cartridge with a very efficient bullet with quickly outdo a heavily recoiling cartridge shooting blunt bullets in terms of energy, drop, and drift, AND IT IS FAR EASIER TO SHOOT WELL.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

I am looking forward to seeing how they hold up in my 300 Wby.. At 30-06/270 Speeds they seem pretty decent. The Weatherby will add some juice to them and see how well the bonding holds up.

Semper Fi
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Sitting on the sidelines here it looks like some of you are doing you best to disagree when you are in agreement. Billy Goat commented that often BCs are ambitious. Bwalker said that differences in BC don't make a significant difference inside 600 yards. It's important to note that he made that comment within the context of the differences between published and actual. Those small differences are of little consequence inside 600. Huntnshoot told a story about his 30-06 passing a Remington 300 RUM at 400 yards for energy but didn't mention the specific loads of either. Bwalker said it would take a crazy comparison for that to happen. Then Huntnshoot presented an unlikely comparison best I could tell. What 300 RUM load is launching a .36 bullet at 3100 FPS?

Playing the roll of peacekeeper here using the individual points made.

Do either of you disagree that small differences in BC make little difference inside 600 yards?

Do either of you disagree that the difference between a BC of .36 and .56 can make a pretty big difference?

Do either of you disagree that for most people it's easier to shoot light recoiling guns more accurately than a heavy recoiling gun?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This is a pretty handy online ballistics calculator.

https://www.federalpremium.com/ballistics_calculator/

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

164 members (338rcm, 160user, 300_savage, 44mc, 470Evans, 35, 13 invisible), 1,932 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,326
Posts18,526,494
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.