Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

The next year can be great elk hunting.

It is very dependent though on the time of season when the fire occurred, the vegetation type, and the weather for the year(s) following the fire.

And the soil type. If the soils are typical of those that form over granite, they have low capacities for storing nutrients and moisture and new growth is much slower and less nutritious. If they are typical of soils that form over shale or limestone, new growth will be much faster.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
FB, I can't imagine yall not getting summer rains in Oregon. powdr

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
A year after the high park fire in Colorado it was pretty grim.. following right after the fire record heavy rains so a lot of soil was washed away. The forest service airlifted a lot of mulch and seed but a lot of it was washed down into gullys or was completely washed away. However quite a bit of grass popped up in areas that were burnt but not so steep.
I hunted deer and there were pockets of them but few and far between. I did not see any elk sign at all in the areas I was in, but it was a huge burned area so I can't really say about the entire burn.

Now some 4 years later lots of new growth. More deer than I have ever seen and elk have moved into areas where there were none before. Lots of mountain lions too!
So long term the burn prolly improved habitat.

I even have good views from my house now that the trees are gone.

First year after the fire grim and then improving each year there after.

LC

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Instead of desirable food we end up with drought resistant brush of one type or another. Ceanothus, manzanita, etc.
Both of those are genus names that are commonly used as catch-all names. Ceanothus has more than 50 species and manzanita a lot more than that. It takes a botonist to sort them out. We have a lot of ceanothus in southern Idaho but it's usually just called chaparral, which it isn't really.

The thing that's really screwed up the ecology in much of the west is cheat grass. It spreads and grows thick between the sagebrush. It matures and drops its seed early in the summer then the stems dry out. If a fire gets going, the cheat burns extra hot which kills the sage and other native plants. All that's left if the cheat grass seeds which come back with a vengeance the next spring. With the sage gone, the cheat is all that survives. Without cheat, the sage will survive many of the fires but with the cheat, the fire clears the land completely except for the cheat seeds lying in the soil.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,324 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,676
Posts18,513,311
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.