Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys, I was all geared up to spend October in Idaho this year, but unfortunately had an old injury finally caught up with me that had to be addressed, so I didn’t do much at all this fall but a couple hunts in my home state of Ga. I’ve done a lot of research in the Idaho website- which is a good one for sure, I’ve done a lot of map reconnaissance of the area and had a few questions regarding actual pressure, access etc. for instance most of 15 looks like you can’t even get a half mile off a logging road on the map with the overlay on So I’m wondering how much of that is actually gated as vs being vehicle or 4 wheeler accessible, additionally the imagery doesn’t make it look quite as bad. It seems like there are a couple few areas with much less access and im wondering if outfitters work those, or if you can get some privacy by walking in a few miles. I’ve got some pretty specific questions about the area, so I’d appreciate a chance to PM with someone who has decent local knowledge. Probably coming out in June to burn a bunch dinosaur bones and boot leather with my son. Whether or not I grab my tag before then will just depend on how fast the tags I’m looking at are going. I don’t want to buy before I get on the ground and see things firsthand. I’ve got a few other units that I really like the idea of also.

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/19/18.
GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
To start with I'd call the Idaho Fish & Game Dept. I spoke with a young woman from the Clearwater office last month who was very helpful providing info about the after effects of last years wildfires. Just a thought...

Affordable Sportfishing Charters and Cruises out of Noank CT - https://www.rowdygirlcharters.com/
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yeah,
Great point. I’ve had a couple conversations with folks out of the Clearwater office. Thanks Bill.thats excellent counsel for every hunt!

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/19/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
If you are talking about driving to Elk City for hunting you will have access to the Magruder Corridor. You can drive it for a least 45 miles ( don't remember the exact mileage) before you come to the Montana border. You have wilderness on both sides of you and there are many places to camp along side the road. You can also go west of Elk city toward the Buffalo Hump and further west to Gospel Hump. Or you can go south through the community of Dixie and head down to Mackey Bar on the salmon and wonder around there.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You need to secure a copy of the Red River Ranger District "Travel Plan Map". It will delineate the open, closed and seasonally restricted roads, as well as, the ATV trails. The Elk City Ranger Station number is 208-842-2245.

As young man, I spent a fair amount of time working and killing elk in that country. And then came the logging curtailments, the Mountain Pine Beetle and the damn Wolves-It just is not the same place that it was when I was a young guy. CP.

IC B2

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I got that number today from Clearwater. The road overlay on the Hunt planner mapping tool was pretty eye opening.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
CP is correct in the fact that every year more and more of that area gets burnt. And what has not burnt yet is dead from beetles. Still beautiful country to wonder around in though.

Writing from the gateway to the great BluMtns in southeastern Washington.

Just remember, "You are the trailer park and I am the tornado". Beth Dutton, Yellowstone.
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Well, I appreciate the incite guys. It’s only a couple weeks off my life and I like steelhead and backpacking both so I’ll probably come despite the fires and winter kill on the deer. June is too early to scout meaningfully but My son and I will be able to catch some cuts and maybe shoot a bear while I decide what my
October plan is.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Well, anyplace that is easily accessed will have lots of pressure. The number of out of state plates that I saw on rigs last fall was the most I can ever remember. Huge numbers of hunters in open units was the case every place I tried. Had to put in serious effort to get into the elk this year because of it.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 175rltw
Well, I appreciate the incite guys. It’s only a couple weeks off my life and I like steelhead and backpacking both so I’ll probably come despite the fires and winter kill on the deer. June is too early to scout meaningfully but My son and I will be able to catch some cuts and maybe shoot a bear while I decide what my
October plan is.

Get yourself a bear, let the little deer walk.

It was interesting this last Fall to read about some of the central Idaho units and the Winter kill. My wife and I had a trip planned but decided to forego given the terrible deer numbers. We stayed home and killed whitetail on our acreage.
Guys knew the situation going in, but sure enough, on other forums there were the obligatory pics of spike and tiny fork horned mule deer that were lucky enough to survive last year's epic snow and cold only to be killed by hunters that had to justify a road trip form California, Washington or Oregon. And it wasn't only a non-res problem.

I blame ID F&G first and foremost for not issuing some sort of minimum antler requirement on these hard-hit areas, but hunters need to make the commitment to letting the young deer (and especially breeding does) walk. It's a tough deal.

IC B3

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
With you there. Antler restrictions can be a very useful tool for managers in helping maintain a healthy age structure in the herd. I know in many states fish and game doesn’t have the ability to effectively respond to unforeseen recruitment/return/survival issues that present year to year and season to season bia emergency order etc, and changes have to come at preordained intervals or via the state legislature etc. not familiar with Idaho and how flexible there system is, nor how flexible those who manage and apply that system are. But it’s always been that Some guys feel obligated to shoot almost anything when they see basically nothing, and some guys get pickier the less they see. That’s how I am anyway. If there’s plenty around I don’t really care what i shoot- but when they’re scarce I try to pick one that really means something.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Antler restrictions can help in some instances, but I do believe they have at least three negatives:
[list]

[*]They restrict some folks who don't care at all about antlers-they just want meat-and in a lot of places does are off limits.

[*]They cause a fair number of deer to be shot and left once the shooter walks up to them and realizes they didn't have as many points as they thought (read: hoped for). I hope I am wrong about this one, but have heard enough stories from guys in the bar to believe it happens more than most folks think.

[*]They cause deer with piss poor genetics (big ass 2 points, 2X3s, etc.) to survive a hunting season and breed with their poor genetics. I realize Pennsylvannia has benefited from QDM, but other areas with antler restrictions have an absurd amount of mature forked horns...Owyhee County, Idaho is an example. It is a 2 point only unit for the general season, and a hard draw for an any buck tag. I really believe that once folks FINALLY draw the tag, they want a 4x4 so badly that they pass big 2x3s and 3x3s to end up shooting a young 4x4. I've seen 2 bucks approaching 30 inches wide come out of there that were just 2x2s and another buck with great mass and spread that was just a 2x3. Those kinds of deer are becoming more and more common in that area. Some of the big ones are killed in the general 2x2 season, but I think most folks pass them not believing that they are only a 2x2.

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
You’re right there T Inman, for every pro a con, for every positive outcome an unintended consequence. Or even a [list] of unintended consequences. I wouldn’t be so presumptive as to suggest I understand the right way to manage Idaho’s wildlife, I haven’t suggested anything, I don’t have any suggestions.

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/20/18.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
No prob...

It wasn't a list or excerpt that I C&P from, though I admit it does look like one.

It was me attempting to use the bullet function in the full editor. I typed it all out as they're my original thoughts.

175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I re-read and realized what you did... slow on the uptake

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by broomd
October plan is.

It was interesting this last Fall to read about some of the central Idaho units and the Winter kill. My wife and I had a trip planned but decided to forego given the terrible deer numbers. We stayed home and killed whitetail on our acreage.
Guys knew the situation going in, but sure enough, on other forums there were the obligatory pics of spike and tiny fork horned mule deer that were lucky enough to survive last year's epic snow and cold only to be killed by hunters that had to justify a road trip form California, Washington or Oregon. And it wasn't only a non-res problem.

I blame ID F&G first and foremost for not issuing some sort of minimum antler requirement on these hard-hit areas, but hunters need to make the commitment to letting the young deer (and especially breeding does) walk. It's a tough deal.

In Idaho, a non-resident deer tag can be used on bear, mt lion, or wolf. Of course if you do use it that way, you can't shoot a deer but it does increase the chances of being able to use it at all.
However, wolf tags are cheap (about $30 for non-res.) and you can buy 5 of them.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rock Chuck
Originally Posted by broomd
October plan is.

In Idaho, a non-resident deer tag can be used on bear, mt lion, or wolf. Of course if you do use it that way, you can't shoot a deer but it does increase the chances of being able to use it at all.
However, wolf tags are cheap (about $30 for non-res.) and you can buy 5 of them.

Not with the DAV tags, I have to buy each species, which is the plan.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I see you live in Ga and want to drive to Idaho and hunt some of the wildest steepest country out there. It's what some of us call "ignorant country". Once committed to dropping down into one of those canyons getting back out will be your trophy.

Without pack animals getting an elk out might be next to impossible.

Once you cross Chief Joseph Pass head towards Darby. There is a great drive from around Darby, to the west, that will take you all the way to Elk City and beyond. Be sure to top off with fuel before you start.

Plan on a 10 day hunt, not including your driving time.

Wish I could recommend a guide service, but most of them are there to take money from you boys.

If you have never hunted western elk, there might be a lot better choice other than Idaho.

Best wishes

Last edited by Reba; 01/21/18.

When the tailgate drops the BS stops.
175rltw Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thank you Reba. I will think things over, I appreciate you being so straight forward

A
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by T_Inman
Antler restrictions can help in some instances, but I do believe they have at least three negatives:
[list]

[*]They restrict some folks who don't care at all about antlers-they just want meat-and in a lot of places does are off limits.

[*]They cause a fair number of deer to be shot and left once the shooter walks up to them and realizes they didn't have as many points as they thought (read: hoped for). I hope I am wrong about this one, but have heard enough stories from guys in the bar to believe it happens more than most folks think.

[*]They cause deer with piss poor genetics (big ass 2 points, 2X3s, etc.) to survive a hunting season and breed with their poor genetics. I realize Pennsylvannia has benefited from QDM, but other areas with antler restrictions have an absurd amount of mature forked horns...Owyhee County, Idaho is an example. It is a 2 point only unit for the general season, and a hard draw for an any buck tag. I really believe that once folks FINALLY draw the tag, they want a 4x4 so badly that they pass big 2x3s and 3x3s to end up shooting a young 4x4. I've seen 2 bucks approaching 30 inches wide come out of there that were just 2x2s and another buck with great mass and spread that was just a 2x3. Those kinds of deer are becoming more and more common in that area. Some of the big ones are killed in the general 2x2 season, but I think most folks pass them not believing that they are only a 2x2.

Antler point restrictions on mule deer (can't speak for other deer) don't work. In fact they seem to work against producing older bucks. This has been true in all the western states that have tried it on a unit by unit basis. Colorado tried it statewide beginning in 1985 but dropped in the early 90's when it didn't help.

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1936M71, 1lessdog, 160user, 270cowboy, 222Sako, 1beaver_shooter, 58 invisible), 2,555 guests, and 1,271 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,332
Posts18,487,602
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.