Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jwall

[Linked Image]

Obviously taste varies. Obviously preferences are real. I don't understand the 'need' for insults !

There is at least ONE advantage to hard, glossy finishes. The hard finish 'certainly' helps protect the wood from nicks and dings. It takes definitely more of impact to damage the stock.

I have both - soft & hard finished rifles. When I hunt my 70 XTR FTWT - I am MORE observant and careful NOT to bump it very hard.
I'm not crazy about gloss because of reflection but if your are not WAVING it around I feel it's a MOOT point. I've killed piles of animals w/hard glossy finishes. I've killed plenty game, varmints & deer with Rem 700, RKW (I think it's called).

Salute Jorge ! I think it's gorgeous.

Jerry

If pimps went hunting......They'd be all over that.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Originally Posted by 30338
Amen to that MM. No question which one I'd rather have.

Notice the absence of one of those gross knobs.... Oh, I'll take the wood and steel every day...

You think that's a standard size knob on that 458? It could be standard I guess, but it looks pretty large and easy to grip and rip. For me, an oversize knob is more functional. Never worried about the looks.

Last edited by 30338; 01/21/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What about your penis size? Have you given it much consideration? Just curious- as another large bolt handle user I don’t often contemplate my weiner, though I do confess to a certain amount of satisfaction in the appearance of my rifle- anyway, what I’m gettin at is that the generalized accusation seems to be that large knob users tend toward a preoccupation with genitals and image. So... where do you stand?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Of course the guys leveling the accusations tend to favor a rifle that looks like it was put together by Snoop Doggs dentist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What? Sorry man- can you speak up? Until someone turns that loud ass rifle down in going to have a hard time hearing anything

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by starsky

Notice the absence of one of those gross knobs.... Oh, I'll take the wood and steel every day...

He was talking about Phil's. You know, the one with the knob twice the size of the holier-than-thou piece of "art".

Really? no kidding. I know it's tough sometimes, but I chose that rifle MERELY because of the size of the bolt handle, ergo I posted this picture, but I suppose it was missed..

[Linked Image]
OR even better yet, here's this work of "art", belonged to a gent named Harry Selby...
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jorgeI; 01/21/18.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Looks like Liberace's .270 to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by starsky

He was talking about Phil's. You know, the one with the knob twice the size of the holier-than-thou piece of "art".

Really? no kidding. I know it's tough sometimes, but I chose that rifle MERELY because of the size of the bolt handle, ergo I posted this picture, but I suppose it was missed..

[Linked Image]
OR even better yet, here's this work of "art", belonged to a gent named Harry Selby...
[Linked Image]

Those rifles would look a lot better with some gold.

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
A rhinestone studded jacket, pompadour haircut and a crystal candelabra.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I believe this is sorely needed here...

[Linked Image]

I don't know how anyone could not appreciate the artistry and the craftsmanship in that. On second thought, I guess they are the ones with tacticool knobs.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
There’s a dentist in here in downtown savannah does enlay quite similar to that in the teeth of black gentlemen from both the hip hop and drug/gang scene, and I absolutely am fascinated and appreciative of the artistry and craftsmanship involved- though I feel it’s an unecessary expense that looks rather garish and therefore don’t feel the need to patronize him myself.

Last edited by 175rltw; 01/21/18.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm no fan of the tacticool rage by any means but that gun jorge posted up is hideous. I thought about saying you couldn't give me one but I would take it and sell it and buy something practical. Feel the same about the tacticool guns too. I'll take a nice working man's sporter any day..............

Gerry.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
That thing would have fit right in with Saddam Hussein's collection:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
That thing would have fit right in with Saddam Hussein's collection:

[Linked Image]

A 47 folder with bling! Sweet!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by gerry35
I'm no fan of the tacticool rage by any means but that gun jorge posted up is hideous. I thought about saying you couldn't give me one but I would take it and sell it and buy something practical. Feel the same about the tacticool guns too. I'll take a nice working man's sporter any day..............

I was more impressed with the wood than the knob.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
I believe this is sorely needed here...

[Linked Image]

I don't know how anyone could not appreciate the artistry and the craftsmanship in that. On second thought, I guess they are the ones with tacticool knobs.

I absolutely agree.

Why the insults ? I don' t understand.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by jwall

There is at least ONE advantage to hard, glossy finishes. The hard finish 'certainly' helps protect the wood from nicks and dings. It takes definitely more of impact to damage the stock.

You think there aren't finishes with less gloss that are just as tough?

If there are, I have not seen nor handled any.
Can you give me an example ?

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
Originally Posted by gerry35

I was more impressed with the wood than the knob.

The wood is nice, it's the bling that is over the top lol.

Gerry.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by drover
The new stock was also clad in what Remington advertisements described as the “RKW Bowling Pin Finish” and since DuPont had actually developed it as a near indestructible finish for use on bowling pins, it lived up to its name. While it might not be considered pretty by today’s standards, it was tougher than nails and much better than an oil finish at preventing entry of moisture into the stock. I bought a Model 700 BDL in 7 mm Rem. Mag. soon after it came out in 1962 and not once during 50 years of hunting has it lost zero.
drover

That's what I'm talking about ! !

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
You guys are missing the practical side here: if the scope gets knocked loose, the gold on it acts as a set of register lines, so you know it's close enough to zero that you can take that trophy shot without having to fire a test shot, thereby scaring away said trophy.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 1234, 219DW, 65 invisible), 2,851 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,312
Posts18,487,270
Members73,968
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.