Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Got my first #4 reticle this fall. Kinda on the fence about it. It will likely grow on me. It's in a Meostar,and it's VERY fine in the center. Very course in the other areas. Never dealt with the Leupold #4.

I'm trying to stay in love with Leupold. Over all their products are OK. My rangefinder is top notch. I flat love the Alumina flip ups. Even my VX3i is pretty decent. Like I have stated here in recent times,their in house services are going to he!!.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
GB1

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
That's interesting. I sent my old 3X in for a Heavy Duplex and received a call that the scope had qualified for a replacement. I asked the guy if they could put a Heavy duplex in it with a matte finish, and was told they come that way. Didn't cost me anything.
I've been following this constant stream of complaints about Leupolds for years. What it always comes down to is the ones with complaints have a general lack of knowledge about scopes in general and Leupolds in particular. On top of that, you get shooters who try to tell you that their favorite brands never break or have issues. Nonsense. They all do. Sometimes it's because of poor mounting practices. Place the rings in the wrong place and/or tighten them up too much and you have problems. With any hunting scope.
Then there are the guys that expect perfect tracking from a hunting scope. I met a guy once who bought three quality tactical/target rifles. Being low on money, he put an expensive Nightforce on one, and they put a couple of VX3's on the two others. And he expected them to do as well. Good luck out past 400 yds. with your dialing.
The real problem with Leupold is they make everything from cheap stuff all the way up to as good a scope as anybody makes for military use. Ever wonder why the military uses and has used so many of their scopes for many years ?
No, if you buy a Leupold, make sure it's made to do what you need it to do. Frankly, if I were to recommend to them to improve anything, it would be to point out to their customers what they are designed to do and what is asking too much of one. They make a scope to fit almost anyone's needs. But if your needs are very demanding, and the shooter needs to understand what that means, then be prepared to pay for it or to accept some design trade offs. E

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by nuguy
Sounds to me like they are doing away with repairing scopes or even doing reticle change in scopes. It seems like they are just sending you new scope made with the other reticle instead and charging you $200 to cover it. I’m sure it doesn’t cost them much too much to make the scope to begin with. It would save a lot of money not paying people to do repair/reticle work. Probably why they aren’t repairing older scopes because they are somewhat different and easier to replace ones they currently have ability to make. Who knows but it sure sounds like someone else is in charge at Leupold and is changing everything that everyone liked about them.

I wonder what they do with all the "old" scopes that they replace with a new one?

My brother sent in a 6X that he's had for years (fogging I think??), they replaced it with a 2.5X8 - no charge.

And these zombies line up and eat from the media’s trough

Cowards CANNOT be free. Nor should they be.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Oheremicus
That's interesting. I sent my old 3X in for a Heavy Duplex and received a call that the scope had qualified for a replacement. I asked the guy if they could put a Heavy duplex in it with a matte finish, and was told they come that way. Didn't cost me anything.
I've been following this constant stream of complaints about Leupolds for years. What it always comes down to is the ones with complaints have a general lack of knowledge about scopes in general and Leupolds in particular. On top of that, you get shooters who try to tell you that their favorite brands never break or have issues. Nonsense. They all do. Sometimes it's because of poor mounting practices. Place the rings in the wrong place and/or tighten them up too much and you have problems. With any hunting scope.
Then there are the guys that expect perfect tracking from a hunting scope. I met a guy once who bought three quality tactical/target rifles. Being low on money, he put an expensive Nightforce on one, and they put a couple of VX3's on the two others. And he expected them to do as well. Good luck out past 400 yds. with your dialing.
The real problem with Leupold is they make everything from cheap stuff all the way up to as good a scope as anybody makes for military use. Ever wonder why the military uses and has used so many of their scopes for many years ?
No, if you buy a Leupold, make sure it's made to do what you need it to do. Frankly, if I were to recommend to them to improve anything, it would be to point out to their customers what they are designed to do and what is asking too much of one. They make a scope to fit almost anyone's needs. But if your needs are very demanding, and the shooter needs to understand what that means, then be prepared to pay for it or to accept some design trade offs. E

Yes I definately expect a scope to track properly for sight in. Bushnells track properly in my experience leupolds don’t.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Not good news.

IC B2

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by 338rcm
Last scope I sent in for a reticle change cost me $70.Called yesterday and was told $200

WTF??

$120 for a LRD

$200 for a B&C

Hardly makes it worth it.

I have a 2-7 that I'm debating whether to send off for a LRD or just sell it...

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
338rcm Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
Last scope I sent in for a reticle change cost me $70.Called yesterday and was told $200

WTF??

$120 for a LRD

$200 for a B&C

I was told prices start at $200

This thread wasnt intended to bash Leupold as I have good luck with their scopes, just questioning the drastic price increase for reticle changes

Last edited by 338rcm; 01/21/18.
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I was just quoted $200 to install M1 knobs on a Mark IV and another $225 to do a reticle change. For that kind of money, I'll just sell it, put $400 to the proceeds and buy a Nightforce SHV.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

I was told prices start at $200

This thread wasnt intended to bash Leupold as I have good luck with their scopes, just questioning the drastic price increase for reticle changes

I called Leupold last week and asked specifically about a 2-7 for a LRD and a 2.5-8 for a B&C. CS asked what was the prefix or suffix on the scopes. It sounded as though if either one was made before the late 80's it couldn't be done.

I've heard that before, so I'm assuming that something changed in the Vari-X II and III lines at that time.

The charge for the recticle change doubled on Jan 1. I think it's a bit much, but maybe that's what it's costing them.

And I'll still be using my Leupolds on all my lighter hunting rifles. Just ebay'd a VX-1 3-9 with LRD for $139. Too hard to resist........ crazy

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

$120 for a LRD

$200 for a B&C

Casey, here's a better alternative:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1035913-REG/leupold_110795_vx_2_2_7x33_lr_duplex.html

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B3

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Yeah easier just to buy a new scope.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Brad,

That seems to be the going price for the VX-2, 2-7's and 3-9's with LRD. I've seen that price on a couple other websites. A VX-2, 2-7 with LRD sold on "But it now" ebay for $175 last weekend. I can also buy a 2.5-8 or 3.5-10 with B&C for $390 to my door on a few websites.

Secondly, I have VX-1's and a VX-2 in 2-7, and the difference in quality of view is not noticeable except in a couple circumstances, and even then it's really small. One nice thing about the three 2-7's I've bought in the last two years is the usual stupidly stiff magnification ring is now MUCH easier to turn. I don't know if Leupold has changed something in the 2-7's or I just got lucky.

Which is why I'm leaning towards sending in that VX-1 2-7 and shelling out the $120 plus shippiing. cry

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Oheremicus

If you think L won't hold up to dialing, WHY DO THEY MAKE CDS then?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Which makes me think the 2 I have problems with I should just sell before everyone finds out they ain't worth a flip like the old ones were. And the one I have 6x42 with a thick duplex that I wanted knobs and regular duplex on for a sheep rifle, well I guess I"ll just have to sell it too.

Damn the luck as they say, but I generally am so slow at trying to get things done I get screwed often.

At least they are replacing scopes for some for no charge. Maybe I should try that first. Then sell the new ones.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Wow. Seems like not that many years ago I was quoted $40 for a reticle change. I have two Leupolds I was thinking about having changed. So much for that.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Casey, I have a new VX2 2-7x33 LRD with the lack of ocular lock ring, and indeed its power ring is easier to turn. Unlike what they’ve done to the VX3(i), I really like the new VX2’s.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Brad
Casey, I have a new VX2 2-7x33 LRD with the lack of ocular lock ring, and indeed its power ring is easier to turn. Unlike what they’ve done to the VX3(i), I really like the new VX2’s.

You mentioned before you don't like the 3i. What don't you like about them compared to previous generations?

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Casey, the i-version’s OA mounting length is just enough shorter than the non-i version it won’t fit an M70 LA with the Talley x-Lows I prefer. I find the power knob unecessarily large (that’s where the mounting problem comes from). I find the power designation #’s on the power ring crude and fugly, and on a more minor note, I dislike the squared-off tacticool machining on the windage/elevation housing compared to the older, elegant, round machining.

Needless to say I bought up some older VX3 2.5-8’s and 3.5-10’s. I have one VX3i 2.5-8-36 I paid $280 for which is going on a 22lr.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
I thought the larger knob on the power ring would be an asset, but it's not. I actually like the knob better on the earlier generations better too. I use mine on low power or high power, but never in-between. I always thought manufacturers should just skip the magnification adjustment between low and high and make a switch from low to high power.... whistle

I use smaller width rings so I haven't ran into that problem but I can see where others could.

The 3i's definitely aren't as svelte...

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

WTF??

Interesting. Maybe a bean counter found out they were losing money?

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

585 members (1936M71, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 257man, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,125 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,775
Posts18,495,765
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.