Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12570018 01/21/18
E
emery Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
E
Do any of you hunters believe in a jinxed rifle? I bought a 375 Ruger mainly for a life long desire to harvest a moose.paid for a guided moose hunt in B.C. in 2009,four people in hunting party, other two guys both got their moose, we got two very expensive hats.Fast forward to 2017,another expensive guided moose hunt in B.C.,these wren both highly successful guides, same outcome hunted our butts off and got skunked again! my wife reminds me every now and then how much beef we could have bought for what I've put into moose hunting so here's the question do any of you hunters believe in a jinxed gun?

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.
I carry my father's guns and my grandfather's guns, and every Nick and blemish was earned in the woods. There were good hunts, and times they went hungry, but the gun was never at fault. A gun is only a tool of the hunter, and it's a poor workman who blames his tools.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I have rifles that just seem " Luckier " than others.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had an old friend who only had one gun he would shoot a doe with.
Said he didn't want to teach the others bad habits.

He was an old hillbilly farmer, the old time superstitious type, he really believed in the bad omens.

He would NEVER walk out any door other than the one he came in through either.

Parents who say they have good kids..Usually don't!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by emery
Do any of you hunters believe in a jinxed rifle?

Yep. None of mine but I have a friend with an early 1990's M700 BDL .30-06 his ex-wife bought for him over 20 years ago. He's an accomplished hunter with lots of fine game taken both CONUS and overseas. I have hunted with him with him carrying that rifle several times in Washington State for deer and elk and Texas for Axis and a trigger has never been pulled despite others much other game being taken around him,

Several of us have strongly encouraged him to turn it into a tomato stake or get a young priest and an old priest as his only reasonable options. grin

If something on the internet makes you angry the odds are you're being manipulated
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just when I think I have a jinxed rifle, I kill stuff something with it... I'm not superstitious.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a jinxed cartridge. Every time I hunt with a .243 I get nothing.

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Had a Savage smokeless muzzle loader that was that way for me deer hunting. Either no deer, or, 2x just flat failed to fire. Finally loaned it out. It came back, uncleaned. Apparently the loanee had used black powder instead of smokeless. Never thought about it until I pulled it out of the closet a year later, and the barrel was toast. Sold it down the road (after full disclosure) to a guy who wanted to build his own smokeless ML on the action.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
It ain't the rifle. I only don't see deer when I am hunting them.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by mjbgalt
It ain't the rifle. I only don't see deer when I am hunting them.

laugh laugh -- I know that feeling, sometimes.

emery - I've been thinking about your ? First off I'm not superstitious.

Secondly, I don't think I've had a rifle that I didn't kill deer with **AFTER** I learned how to hunt.

Sometimes it is WHERE you hunt not the rifle you carry. YOU have to be in the right place & time.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I'll take that bad luck rifle off your hands so you don't have to worry about it anymore.

-Jake

Small Game, Deer, Turkey, Bear, Elk....It's what's for dinner.

If you know how many guns you own... you don't own enough.

In God We Trust.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I don't believe in a jinxed rifle...

I do believe tho, that whatever your attitude is about something...
you will make that happen...

so no to jinxed rifles... yes to hunters with a negative attitude and
who then wonder why they experience negative results all the time...

on the other hand, a favor quote of mine for a long time...

Thomas Edison was asked by a reporter after he had invented the light bulb
of how he felt having failed over 10,000 times before he got it right...

Edison's answer was I didn't fail 10,000 times... I just found 10,000 ways
a light bulb didn't work....

Attitude says a lot about one's outlook....

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I don't really think it is the gun, but I once had a 270 that caused me some grief by shooting either too high or too low. Truth of the matter, I came to the conclusion that I had trouble judging distance in even moderate fog, getting worse as it thickens. Not misses, but poor shots. I don't have that problem on clear days or in light fog.

Jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Guy in my lease has an unlucky 7 mag. Loses deer with it.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Had a Browning A-bolt .30-06. At my camp in south AR I killed every deer I ever pulled the trigger on with it. At our family farm in eastern AR I missed every deer i ever pulled the trigger on with it. Traded it off years ago for a fancy Mauser 3000 that didn't shoot worth a darn and had a slow barrel. Traded that for a Steyr .260 that languishes in the back corner.....

really need to work up a load for that .260.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
So, my somewhat superstition? If I’ve killed 2-3 with one rifle, I need to let it ‘recharge’, and hunt with something else until I kill with that one, before returning to the other gun. You’ll use up all its mojo if you don’t. LOL

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine tells the story about going to a gun show and checking out a rifle that he was interested in. When the guy gave him the more than it cost new price Bob questioned it. The old guy justified it by saying "Yeah, but it is a proven rifle."

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
E
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
E
I had a ruger 77 25-06 that I've shot coyotes perfect with at 300 yds but went to shoot a doe with at 100 yds I would completey miss finally traded it off after having to shoot a nice 9 pt 5 times to kill at point blank range I still to this day think some body cast a spell on that rifle

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had this same post in 2009. Yes, I believe some rifles can be jinxed....or possessed!

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbt...ust-wondering-i-may-have-one#Post2749871

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

613 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 62 invisible), 2,369 guests, and 1,297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,137
Posts18,484,018
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.