Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Here is my 2200sq ft 'southern shack', built in 99 for well under $100 sq.ft.
Wife and I did 'some' but not much of the work.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

FJB & FJT

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Raeford.........that is nice......crazy how much prices on everything has skyrocketed since you built.......problem is, it is not going to get any better........bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Don't see where anyone has factored in the Divorce in their custom/self generaled house prices...........

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

centershot......good point.......there truly is nothing free.....bob

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BobMt
Originally Posted by jackmountain
I have 4 framing crews and also general contract 6-10 homes a year.
Framing=$4.00/ft for simple spec type houses up yo $8-$10/ft for really cut up customs.
Complete turnkey home on your lot; starter ranch = $95/ft minimum up to $200/ft for really nice high end custom. Most mid-range homes $125-$150/ft. With hardwood and tile, fiber cement with some brick, 9' walls.
Framing materials, labor, truss, windows and doors should account for roughly, 18-22% of the project for a low to mid level home, at least in our area.
As far as hourly rates, $30 min. For carpentry, concrete, sheetrock etc... Trades like electrical, plumbing and HVAC more like $40/hr. This is in MY area. YMMV if only obviously...... Messican, usually slightly cheaper.

Prices can REALLY vary even in the same area. I charge more to a homeowner than a GC when framing. Partially because it's one job, partially because lack of organization which costs me time.
Lots of guys price things according to how busy they are too.

Most generals in this area are charging/making 12 - 15% on top of cost.
We do as much in house as possible, footers, framing, roofing, trim, siding, etc.... so you make $ on the labor you provide as well as the management portion. Downside is keeping employees and dealing with the B.S. of 17 men that act like drama queens nonstop, plus the high cost of workers comp and all the insurances you have to have, plus keeping tools and equipment for that many jobs at a time.

Seems like the trend now is someone with zero job knowledge and zero time in the field with a bankroll trying to sub everything out and make money for scheduling subs and paying the bills. They last a few years til word gets around and they move on to starting a restaurant, carwash or whatever else.

good info.....my area...50 hour carpenters...electricians 65 to 75......plumbers 85 to 95 .......hvac 85 to 95........never use my own money to build somebody's else's house.....they want it , they can pay for it.......bob

I’m in the flathead and your numbers are pretty much spot on for us. Since I’m not a big builder finding subs can be tough, folks are really busy. I normally buy crappy houses and fix them up myself, but the affordable market is thin right now. Things are really booming up here, winter traffic was as bad as summer traffic a few years ago. I’d love to build a couple of duplex’s, but I might have to wait till things slow a bit.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
IC B2

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

stormin....you cant find anything here either, that you could make money on........I have 2 rentals and am building 2 more......that is my retirement. they will be vacation rentals.

looking forward to quitting construction.......started at 17 1/2.....just turned 58.....bob

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
[quote=slumlord]So which are you Bobmt?

An ass raping overcharging scoundrel of a contractor?

Or a feeble, cant do jack chit for himself pu ssy that has to hire every thing out and overpays for it?

I will get back to you in the morning numb nuts....bob

if I have to pick between being a pu$$y or an ass raper..........I will take ass raper for 1,000 alex....and I hope it is a daily double.......have a good one, slumlord........bob

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by centershot
Don't see where anyone has factored in the Divorce in their custom/self generaled house prices...........

I chose the builder with the best reputation I could find because I wanted a trouble free experience and got it. From the time we chose a plan and signed the contract to moving in was 9 months.

On the flip side my friend who let me know when the lot we bought hit the market, he's been doing it himself and still hasn't finished.

He was clearing his lot in 2012, had decided to go with a pre-fabbed custom home out of Canada which entailed a year long process and 3 structural engineers before the city would approve his plans, the Canadian outfit went out of business after receiving his $35k down payment but before receiving the house kit. So he had to hire an architect to come up with a new design, and has been subbing out the house. Last time I drove by a couple months back it was closed in with rough plumbing and electrical. Hell of a way to save money.

I figured if I'd done it myself I'd get to learn all the things I should have done and then I'd need to do it again to do it right.

I had neither the time or desire to learn how to properly get a house built when I could just hire a pro and make it as smooth as possible.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R

Raeford.........that is nice......crazy how much prices on everything has skyrocketed since you built.......problem is, it is not going to get any better........bob

No scidt,
I was buying 'yard grade' 1X6 T&G yellow pine for under $6 per 12' board[8 footers were only #3.09] and they even allowed me to pick & choose. Racked it up in the basement all winter which was far enough along to have woodstove running to shrink/dry. We did about 1/3 of our floors & walls using it.
Chimney[2 flue] has 1,100 cinderblock. Basement has 9' poured walls, all copper plumbing etc
I cringe thinking about what it would cost to build it today.

FJB & FJT
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[quote=slumlord]So which are you Bobmt?

An ass raping overcharging scoundrel of a contractor?

Or a feeble, cant do jack chit for himself pu ssy that has to hire every thing out and overpays for it?

I will get back to you in the morning numb nuts....bob

if I have to pick between being a pu$$y or an ass raper..........I will take ass raper for 1,000 alex....and I hope it is a daily double.......have a good one, slumlord........bob

The only people that call a business man an ass raper are those that are jealous of successful businessmen. Any two types of people operate without concern to profit, fools and government workers. But I repeat myself.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My house built in 2010 came in under $100/sq ft., but may not be relevant to this discussion of stick built homes. With the abundance of log walls, finished drywall and paint cost was reduced. What I saved there I put into the fireplace. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
For the home builders and contractors among us, when you refer to price per square foot is that price per under roof square foot? In other words, garage and covered porch space gets calculated the same way as living space? Does building additional living space up into attic space save money? I am not sure I am asking that the right way, but say would bonus space above the garage cost less than the same amount of space built on the slab since there's no additional roofing, siding or slab involved?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by roundoak
My house built in 2010 came in under $100/sq ft., but may not be relevant to this discussion of stick built homes. With the abundance of log walls, finished drywall and paint cost was reduced. What I saved there I put into the fireplace. smile

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'd take one of those at $100/sq ft!

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Sick
Campfire Outfitter
P

need to define what high end is......bob

I didn't think they had anything high end up there! grin

"The 375HH is the greatest level of power you can get for the investment in recoil." (JJHack)
79s and losttrail, biggest waste of air.
During a conversation with a well known general contractor he said "Your not a success till someone calls you a son of a bitch"

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard
For the home builders and contractors among us, when you refer to price per square foot is that price per under roof square foot? In other words, garage and covered porch space gets calculated the same way as living space? Does building additional living space up into attic space save money? I am not sure I am asking that the right way, but say would bonus space above the garage cost less than the same amount of space built on the slab since there's no additional roofing, siding or slab involved?

Ours came in at right around $88 sq. ft in 99 and includes porches/decks, septic[$2K, that'll never happen again], basically everything except well which was about $7K

FJB & FJT
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by PaulBarnard

Not a GC or builder but my $150/SF (2,000 SF heated) cost includes everything except land and appliances, just completed in July of '17. We have 10' ceilings in the living, kitchen, dining and master, 9' everywhere else. Stamped concrete porch front and rear, 2 car garage, granite, custom cabinets, LED can lighting, custom tile master shower, well and septic. Full unfinished basement that has some load bearing walls up to allow for future finished space. We are all electric with LP gas logs and stone fireplace since our area does not have NG. It's a nice home but not over the top or extravagant.

I had a GC I knew build it for us not thinking I would have the time or resources but I ended up bringing almost half the trades to the table and spent way more time with it than I should have. In hindsight I could have contracted it myself and saved the 10%, plus the headaches that came with an unorganized GC. He overran our budget without giving us an update until the end when he said we were 16k over....kind of a mess but we split the overages, over half of which was due to poor estimating on his part. It did prevent us from paving the drive as we had planned but that's something we can do later on.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by UNCCGrad; 01/22/18.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

[Linked Image]

thats a beauty. do you get enough snow to make that porch a problem? looks like the other side just slides down the hill?

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sycamore

[Linked Image]

thats a beauty. do you get enough snow to make that porch a problem? looks like the other side just slides down the hill?

Thanks, no, have not had a problem with a snow load on the porch roof and we do get plenty of snow. It is supported by post and beam and full 4" x 9" rafters. The building faces south by west so when the sun hits that roof the snow moves quickly.

Last edited by roundoak; 01/22/18.

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

stormin....you cant find anything here either, that you could make money on........I have 2 rentals and am building 2 more......that is my retirement. they will be vacation rentals.

looking forward to quitting construction.......started at 17 1/2.....just turned 58.....bob

I’m doing the same, but regular rentals. Once I sell the one I’m working on it should get me a basic duplex, or I’ll build. Have enough for another and a half saved. Slow but sure. I’m 50 and want to be done soon myself.

"Life is tough, even tougher if your stupid"
John Wayne
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

695 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,246 guests, and 1,334 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.