Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
LBK, I remember that pic. you took of my dad in the 2 hats, we had a great time at Jed's family farm that year (2007), and it was great to meet so many other Savage 99 fans.

Nice find, as I have never before seen a tang safety conversion quite like that.

It looks like there were some nice 99's at the show. Was it packed? -TomT

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
We were the very first through the doors. The show opened at 9 AM and we got in 1/2 hour early because we're members of the State Arms Collectors Association. It got really packed by about 10:30-11:00. I will never forget that fest. The only other one that came close was the get together at Fug's house in 2011.

NRA Endowment Life Member (and proud of it)

Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

Deuteronomy 22:5

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JeffG
Well I'm finally back online after having caught my breath, and caught up with chores. What a great day! I was worn out just trying to stay in a conversation with these guys! And I have never felt so supported as I was by these two very sincere expert enablers! wink Thanks to LBK and Fug1899 !!

We all left with new treasures, but left this one on the table,... but I think I might call the dealer next week and find out what the consignor will really take for it, ...it was only about twice my budget; 1899 C with pistol grip and curved lever, 50% wood, probably less than 50% metal, but a really nice looking 1899 configuration to my eye.

[Linked Image]

I can't wait to do it again!! laugh

It was the best time I've had in years. Thanks for the compliment, but I'm wrong more often that I'm right. If it turns me on and I can afford it, I buy it without too many questions.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something. - Plato

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
Has the tang been extended on Yours LBK?
[Linked Image]

Here's one of the known safety kits on a post war R with factory D&T
[Linked Image]

Last edited by JeffG; 01/21/18.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great to hear that a good time was had by all at the Albany show and that several found treasures to take home with them. The pictures of the thunb/tang safety were fascinating, I have only seen them in pics here on the 'Fire. An interesting accessory that I saw on a 99 in a gunshop many years ago was a retractible sling that retracted thru a slot where the rear swivel would be onto a reel that had been inletted into the butt under the buttplate. I worked like the cord on a vac cleaner. Has anyone seen a 99 so equipped? I wasn't looking to buy 99's back then but sure wish I would have bought it for its uniqueness.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes it has.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by gunswizard
Great to hear that a good time was had by all at the Albany show and that several found treasures to take home with them. The pictures of the thunb/tang safety were fascinating, I have only seen them in pics here on the 'Fire. An interesting accessory that I saw on a 99 in a gunshop many years ago was a retractible sling that retracted thru a slot where the rear swivel would be onto a reel that had been inletted into the butt under the buttplate. I worked like the cord on a vac cleaner. Has anyone seen a 99 so equipped? I wasn't looking to buy 99's back then but sure wish I would have bought it for its uniqueness.

Yes I have, and to this day I am kicking myself for not buying it. I have never seen another and you are the first one to mention seeing another.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
Originally Posted by gunswizard

Yes I have, and to this day I am kicking myself for not buying it. I have never seen another and you are the first one to mention seeing another.

That's probably the sling off a 22lr. I forget the brand.

*JC Higgins model 31

Last edited by Fireball2; 01/21/18.

LOL
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The one I saw in the gunshop was the only one I have seen "in the flesh", I have seen pics in old magazines and perhaps Shooter's Bible of Gun Digest. I believe I have seen one on a Mossberg with a web sling, the one on the 99 had a leather sling.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have a 1950's 99F (.300 Savage) with the retractable leather sling. I wouldn't add one to a 99, but I bought it with it already modified. Years later, I came across another "kit" for the retractable (coil spring) leather strap on ebay (see scanned paperwork), as new in box. I don't think i'll ever use it, but a cool collector piece to be sure. Hopefully my scanned paperwork photo works. -TomT

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12570493#Post12570493

"I'm from the government, and I'm here to help"
IC B3

RAS Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know the dealer in the picture. He went to the big shows in VA fairly often. He usually has nice stuff, but often too proud of it. He wanted to by my Model 70 in 250-3000 pretty fiercely. No dice.

"...aspire to live quietly, and to mind your own affairs, and to work with your hands, as we instructed you, so that you may walk properly before outsiders and be dependent on no one." - Paul to the church in Thessalonica.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Longbeardking
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yes it has.

I didn't think we liked bubba'd guns around here.

LOL
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Some Bubbas be more equal than others... smile

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Lightfoot
Some Bubbas be more equal than others... smile

Apparently.

LOL
M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Steve,

Thanks for those pictures of the "internals". Interesting. Nice seeing all you Savage enthusiasts in Albany... always some of the best conversations of the weekend... some good laughs too. Stay well!
Tom

Wanted: Nice Fox Shotguns, SP(E) Skeet & Upland game a specialty. Looking for Savage Posters/Calendars
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Marshfellow
Steve,

Thanks for those pictures of the "internals". Interesting. Nice seeing all you Savage enthusiasts in Albany... always some of the best conversations of the weekend... some good laughs too. Stay well!
Tom

I will Tom. See you in Syracuse. Stay out of the ditches,
grin laugh grin

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
LBK,I dont believe that tang safety was a kit! not many people would be capable of welding on a tang extension. Pretty sure it was gunsmith built,exceptional quality gunsmithing. whistle

Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Loggah
LBK,I dont believe that tang safety was a kit! not many people would be capable of welding on a tang extension. Pretty sure it was gunsmith built,exceptional quality gunsmithing. whistle

To be honest, if Lightfoot hadn't brought up the possibility of a kit, the thought would have never crossed my mind, If you look closely at the cross hatching on the safety slide, you can see cutter marks and handwork around the outside edge. The slide is retained by 2 1/16th dia. pins that were cut with a small abrasive wheel. The stand-off on the inside that has the one screw into the frame is formed on a brake. You can tell it's all handmade by someone with real talent and putting emphasis on detail. Not bad for a 100 year old gun. Definitely not a kit.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I think a real talented machinist! grin(YOU) could remodel the button just a bit so your stith rear mount would fit correctly. it might hide the red dot tho.

J
JeffG Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
[quote=TomT
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/galleries/12570493#Post12570493
[/quote]

Thanks for sharing that TomT. I'll bet our own Romac would be interested in one of those slings made by his namesake!

[Linked Image]

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (1beaver_shooter, 1234, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 47 invisible), 2,406 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,104
Posts18,502,134
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.