Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by SandBilly
Originally Posted by Oldman03
Originally Posted by aalf
If they total the truck, then you buy it back, will it then have a salvage title?

If so, it could come back to bite you on resale, unless you drive it into the dirt

It wont have a salvage title.... if you dont give them the title.

My truck got hit while parked and the ins. co. totaled it. I was working out of state and had the truck towed to my house. I let the ins co adj inspect the truck and they called and offered me $1800. I told them I hadn't looked at the truck and would contact them when I had a chance, I would not settle without seeing the truck. It was almost a year later that I got home and saw the truck could be repaired. I called them and asked what their top dollar was.... $2300. Then asked what the salvage was.... $1300. So I countered with taking the $1800 and keeping the truck. They agreed and I took the money, repaired the truck myself (salvage yard parts), and have not got a salvage title.

They won’t send you a salvage title unless you file for a lost title or sell it, then the buyer will get the salvage title.

In Louisiana, if your vehicle is paid off, you have the title in your hand. The loan company keeps the title until the vehicle is paid off and then they mail it to you. I have the titles to all my vehicles.

Not an option in some states. In Georgia the insurance company will not pay you out until they have received the title. They process it and send a salvage title back to you, and the vehicle has to pass a state inspection BEFORE it is painted (assuming body damage/repair has been performed) . Only once it has passed the inspection can you get a tag.

To anger a conservative, lie to him. To annoy a liberal, tell him the truth.

Promoted to Turdlike status 03/17/12

GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Be sure to gather up all of the paper on the improvements you have made.

They will have to make you whole.
They will try their best to get you to take less but hold to your guns.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
OP

Youre bout to get screwed.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Another tip from someone else in the business. Treat the guy like family. Shake his hand and look him in the eye and try to listen to what he says and be respectful. You know how often I life we run into the idiots who yell and complain and dig I their heels and make everything about themselves and become us vs them aND what a pain in the ass those people are. You're working with someone who has to talk to those people all day long, who grind him down. If he knows you just want to talk and fairly figure something out it will go a long way.

They hear from so many people who think their particular 1995 civic is worth 15 grand still and start out by threatening and arguing. Guess whether they get the benefit of the doubt later or get someone to feel like working hard for them.

I am not an adjuster but I see a lot in the industry as an agent and going into the conversation with assumptions and trying to twist arms just isn't a good way to do well. You gotta remember that most of the people who say they got screwed didn't read their policy or cooperate or simply ask questions and dont listen, and then when something happens later and they don't remember being told that...its all of a sudden being screwed.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by K1500
How do you have $20,000 in add ons? Man, that's a lot! It sounds like you have the advice you need. Glad you were not hurt.

Calibrated Performance 64mm Turbo
Exergy 60hp Injectors
Exergy CP3 pump
FASS 150 lift pump
S&B cold air intake
EFI Live tuned
Auto meter a-pillar 3 gauge set
Firepunk full billet transmission
B&W goosneck turnover ball
Firestone air bag system
Black Rhino wheels
Nearly new 33" toyo tires

Last edited by xverminator; 01/23/18.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Filed a claim yesterday morning they will send someone out to look at it this week so I guess we'll see. With the replacement value being what it is and the fact that the truck didn't roll 360 degrees, only up on the drivers side, I'm thinking it may not be totaled?

The parts listed don't include the fact that I recently rebuilt the entire front end including hub and bearing assemblies as well as rebuilding the transfer case. All this work has been done in the past couple years so despite having 200K miles on it, it is basically a new truck. Salvage title or not, I would like to have it back.....

Thanks to everybody for your concerns, well wishes and advice. All are appreciated!

X-VERMINATOR

Last edited by xverminator; 01/23/18.

Sooner or later our heritage of hunting is going to be a rich mans sport and the words "Outfitter" and "Hunt Industry" will be synonymous with cancer and A.I.D.S. among blue collar hunters like me and my family! (A.L. Williams - 2010)
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Do let us know how it shakes out please.

1Minute
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by 1minute
Do let us know how it shakes out please.

It'll shake like this.
Totaled!
The pay out will be based on the value of the truck as it was stickered unless the OP added the 20k dollar add one to his policy.
If you put one on the roof it's going to be totaled.
I'd take the salvage title and small check if they will allow.

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes, I would not spend a whole lot of time, driving to multiple cities to get quotes from dealers, etc. Just know what its worth and don't take a lowball offer.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Former auto appraiser her. The value of the vehicle is normally determined by using the NADA or Blue book retail value in combination with an average of the retail value of similar values in your market. In order to collect anything for your add-ons, you will probably be required to list them and provide invoices. Insurance companies usually total a vehicle when the cost of repair reaches 75% of its retail book value. Some companies will let you buy back the salvage, others wo'nt.

Last edited by 308ragincajun; 01/23/18.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by victoro
Thanks for the advice. I hate home/auto insurance companies and everybody associated with them (especially State Farm). They're almost as greedy as bankers. Somebody hit my paid for pickup while it was parked at the grocery store and caused about $5000 damage. State Farm should have either let me get some estimates from the body shops I preferred (like I've done in the past) or have them give me an estimate and then write me a check. That way I could take it anywhere I wanted to or I could do the repair work myself (not the painting) and let the insurance adjuster inspect the repair. Instead they sent me to one of their "preferred" body shops and then made the check out to the body shop and myself. The body shop did do a good job so I didn't have any problem with signing the check after the repair was complete. I believe the insurance company's must have a kick back system set up with their "preferred" body shops. When I picked up my repaired truck I asked the manager about doing a complete paint job on my '80 Chevy pickup. He told that if he painted it the cost would be $6000 plus the cost of any required body work. He then said the had gotten out of the paint job business long ago because in the time it took him to paint my truck (without any body work) he could make $30,000 doing collision repair for the insurance companies. Did I mention I hate insurance companies?

Actually, it's not so much of a kickback system, as it is the shop agreeing to give a large discount on the work in return for being on the insurance company's "preferred list" and the insurance company steering business their way.

Last edited by 308ragincajun; 01/23/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by xverminator
No, I hear ya on the after market stuff..... I know I'll get screwed on that! Probably get screwed period but I'm curious how they determine the value of the truck in the first place?

I'm hoping they don't total it but if they do, anyone know if I can buy the truck back for parts?

If you didn't add the upgrades to your policy you only screwed yourself. You didn't pay premium to cover them.

Now back to the value...if your truck isn't brand new or the current model year chances are that they will do a market comp search, now through large companies who provide that service for a fee. These are based upon the field adjuster's report on the vehicle. They have guidelines that establish the truck's Actual Cash Value at the time of the loss, and the value will be for what you insured, only. This is a valid and fair way to establish a settlement value. It's strictly market data driven from actual sales, adjusted up and down for less/more than average miles and by the vehicles OEM equipment, also up or down, as well as general condition and wear.

You DO have the right to retain salvage for the high bid or contract salvage price. Many companies have salvage conglomerates who buy based on year and model, averaged out in severity. Sometimes it's high or low that way, so ask that they get bids if you think it's too high.

I'm sorry for your misfortune and hope you come out well on the settlement.

L2S

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Blackbrush
Pull the aftermarket stuff if they won't compensate for it. It's yours.

Yes, but if you put steel wheels on it with baldies, where the standard truck had alloy, they'll ding you for it when they pay the ACV. Replace your mega-stereo with a junkyard OEM, etc, or they can start deducting. wink

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Did the value you paid your premiums bsed on include the 20k?

TRUMP- GABBARD 2024
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
"Somebody hit my paid for pickup "

Can you read and comprehend English? I'm pissed because the repair cost so much and they expected me to take it to their "preferred" body shop. I know the cost of the parts/labor and they only took one day to do the repair including paint. The labor cost was over 5 times the cost of the parts. I did pay the $250 deductible.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You bet I can read and understand. However, if we are in the business of slinging insults, you seem to have a problem with paragraphs in your first post and a general lack of understanding of the purpose of insurance.

The purpose of insurance to to make you whole after the loss, and it sounds like it did precisely that. Usually you have the right to use the provider of your choice, including yourself. Technically, if they give you $5,000 for the damage and you get it fixed for less, you owe them the difference back (not that anyone does that). If you you do it yourself you have to accept the estimate. In addition, you can keep the money and elect to not fix the truck, assuming it is paid off (as yours was).

It's no skin of my nose if they want me to use a higher priced shop, as long as the job is done to my satisfaction. I'm out the deductible and no more regardless what shop I use. If you wanted to keep the money, do the work yourself, or use a different shop, you should have insisted they cut you a check. They would have. Of course, you have to submit proof you fixed it or they will not cover the damage or loss if it happens again. Their prefered shop does that for you when they work with the insurance company.

I had hail damage on a paid for truck. State Farm cut me a check in the driveway of my house and said do what you want. If it costs more than our estimate, submit us a bill for review. They have the right to question the additional bill, but they *usually* cut the check on the high side, so that is generally not an issue. I guess with my deficient reading and comprehension skills I am still wondering why you are pissed. Is it because you didn't make them give you the check, even though it was your right to do so?

Last edited by K1500; 01/24/18.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
It's been many years since I have owned a modified vehicle. But I do have a thought for you based on past experience. My experience is probably 25+ years old but it's worth at least thinking about.

Back in the day when I drove modified cars my insurance agent told me that I must inform the insurance company of any performance enhancing modifications because they increased the statistical risk of an accident. Failure to do so could void my insurance.

Assuming that the modifications you made improved the horsepower over stock you may be facing the same issue if you did not inform your insurance company of the modifications.

Last edited by silver78; 01/25/18.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

538 members (10gaugeman, 2500HD, 22250rem, 06hunter59, 1234, 222Sako, 53 invisible), 3,337 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,705
Posts18,534,770
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.