Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I have no idea if the following method has been tested or is effective but:

If attack is immanent drop down low enough to prevent the dog from grabbing your legs/crotch area and give the dog your offhand forearm. On impact shove your forearm as far back in the mouth as possible to open up the jaws while wrapping strong side forearm around the back of the dogs head and below the skull. Push and rotate out with weak forearm(in dogs mouth) and pull and rotate toward your chest with strong side arm. The idea is to strain/dislocate/break the neck so the dog either gives up or dies. Keep in mind you're doing this while the dog is thrashing on your arm trying to rip it off. A lot can go wrong, but if its all you got, give it everything you have.

Looks like I was late to the party. Jim in Idaho beat me to it.

Last edited by SBTCO; 01/23/18.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by SBTCO

If attack is immanent drop down low enough to prevent the dog from grabbing your legs/crotch area and give the dog your offhand forearm. On impact shove your forearm as far back in the mouth as possible to open up the jaws while wrapping strong side forearm around the back of the dogs head and below the skull. Push and rotate out with weak forearm(in dogs mouth) and pull and rotate toward your chest with strong side arm. The idea is to strain/dislocate/break the neck so the dog either gives up or dies. Keep in mind you're doing this while the dog is thrashing on your arm trying to rip it off. A lot can go wrong, but if its all you got, give it everything you have.

See above.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MadDog4298
Let him clamp down on your week arm then reach for your knife clipped to your pocket( hopefully it is assisted opening) and slit throat and then go to stabbing.

This is how my Uncle put down a Pit that had latched onto his Brittany he was walking. Stabbing and slashing neck, chest groin.

Dog unlatched and bled out right there. CRKT with thumb assist.

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by RickyD
First, never leave home without carrying a reliable firearm. Take them on like they'll kill you, because they will. Go all out death squad on them. Do whatever seems right at the time to destroy them. Take their eyes out, stomp them wherever you can and do the most damage, if you can get them by a foot swing them into the ground until they are dead. Don't let them take you down.If you're armed shoot them in the head until they quit moving. If you're not armed pick up whatever you can to use for a weapon. If the owner gets in your way, kill him too, then finish off the dog.

definative answer

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Brazos
If it does take you down and you are unarmed, shove your fist down it's throat as far as you can.

That was Dad's advice, he'd seen it work. But I've never had the pleasure.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by gunner500
If the things lunging feed it your weak arm, grab it and dont let go, take it to the ground and try to crush it's ribcage/head with your knees.

this is what i did.except i grabbed him by the bottom jaw so i would have leverage to force him to the ground.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Gansettx
I think the title should read, hand to hand with a short bred cur dog. This loose use of pit-bull moniker at every turn is laughable...what you are doing is assuming all bully bred dogs are Pit-bulls...sorry dog men rarely bred people aggressive dogs. What you have today are Cur dogs with lots of stuff in them.

TNrifleman says it best above.

To give you something useful, if the attack is eminent sacrifice your weak arm and do all you can to kill the dog with your other appendages. If they are a hold of you, you will have little power to hurt them by striking...best to choke them.

and this once you pin them down.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
In response to some of the suggestions, Pits are not that small, and are ALL muscle. They are heavy, strong, and very hard to handle - plus they don't react to pain as much as some dogs might. If you "feed" a pit an arm, you may very well not get that arm back - or the blood lost during that tactic. ONE of the things that makes Pits so dangerous is an almost complete lack of fear of anything. Would be best not to "fight" one with your bare hands! Also best not to get between a pit and things he is tasked with protecting, as they are VERY protective by nature. I had a Pit that was among the "best" dogs I've ever owned, but I still had to be aware of his natural tendencies - among which was that he would have laid down his life for me, if necessary.

Mike Holmes

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't know if it would work on a pitbull but the guy who left his German shepherd get after me got his dog in a hurry when he heard those teeth rattle together from a well placed front snap kick. The dog was pissed but wouldn't get back in range. If a pit locked down on me I think I would try to strangle it.

Be Polite , Be Professional , but have a plan to kill everybody you meet
-General James Mattis United States Marine Corps

Nothing is darker than a mau mau's moo moo.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I have never had to kill the dog, but the arm shoved in tight, widens his jaws, and the arm wrapped behind the head tightly, causes a panic reaction in the dog. I've had to use it a couple of times (never against a pittbull) and escaped with minor fang marks. We help out with rescues, and some of them have proven aggressive. I've been left bloodied, my wife has been bloodied, and grabbing the dogs balls and squeezing will make him let go of your kid fast. Kick to the ribs after, tend to drive the point home. (I'm the alpha dog, not you)

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have used the aggressive tactic to my advantage before a couple of times. Dogs don't know what to think about a guy shouting loud and aggressively attacking it. I'm glad neither of those were pit bulls though. The time might come when it won't work but that's my first defense when threatened by an aggressive dog.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Sorry, in re-reading my reply it definitely comes off as snotty which wasn't the intent, just trying to back up your post with my own reading and experiences.

P
PSE Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
I have been challenged by aggressive dogs in the past and all without exception seem all know the universal signal of reaching down to pick up a rock as if the throw. They all react in the same way - that is to say they back off rather quickly. There doesn't even need to be one there, just reach down and make like your picking one up. They all seem to know instinctively to retreat.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I can attest to the toughness of a pit bull and what a formidable an advesary they are. Several years ago while out deer hunting I had the occasion to shoot a pit bull that was running deer in a pack of feral dogs. The pit bull took a 12ga. deer slug thru the chest at 25-30yds., it knocked the pit down and stopped his pursuit of the deer. When I got over to it the dog was not dead in spite of a gaping wound thru its chest. not wanting to shoot it again I stepped on its chest in an attempt to stop its heart. One foot had no effect so I stood on its ribcage with both feet bringing my 250# weight to bear, even then the dog had to bleed out until it finally expired. From that experience hand to fangs combat with a pit bull would be an extreme last resort.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Gun no gun

Knife no knife

Get ready for the hardest fight of your life.

You will not have time to do anything but to react.
It will be painful but you must fight through it to get in your licks.

It does hurt and will leave you having some strange thoughts when you are resting.
It will play over and over in your mind.

It will hurt even if you win.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by plainsman456
Gun no gun

Knife no knife

Get ready for the hardest fight of your life.

You will not have time to do anything but to react.
It will be painful but you must fight through it to get in your licks.

It does hurt and will leave you having some strange thoughts when you are resting.
It will play over and over in your mind.

It will hurt even if you win.

never felt any pain but did hear the bone in my finger get crushed.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not a pitbull but a full grown german shep

My father in law was an "Orkin Man". This shephard come hauling ass from three yards over and leaped. He caught that somebitch mid air and pulled straight downward hard on his mandible. Broke his flapper straight down. Hahaha

Stupid ass mutt

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
High school classmate of my brother ( I knew him from working on the same logging crew) got jumped by a pitbull and he took it down and pounded on it till it ran off yelping. He was young, very strong and mean when mad.
He got chewed on some, but no permanent damage. He did have some pretty impressive scars on his arm.
He'd played fullback in college and I never saw anyone that could pull 5 3/4" chokers around a hillside like him.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Unfortunately, hand to hand is more likely to be hand to mouth...and it will hurt.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yeah, all in all I'd rather go hand to hand with a lab puppy. I've done that several times and survived with only minor wounds...

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (160user, 1badf350, 2500HD, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 264mag, 59 invisible), 2,525 guests, and 1,202 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,921
Posts18,498,465
Members73,983
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.