Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Considering purchasing an annual subscription for some type of emergency rescue / medical insurance. We normally make an annual international mission trip to a developing country, and / or an international hunting trip. We also operate a small fiercely independent not for profit which outfit elk hunts for wounded military personnel. I am looking for recommendations on reliability and integrity on the different companies followed by price. Any suggestions appreciated.

It’s all about Leadership.
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
If you are looking for hard core bush extraction, then Global Rescue or Ripcord are good options. Both highly recommended. That said, if you can get to pickup point (like a town with a runway), Medjet is another very good option and if you hold an AMEX Platinum card, it comes with the annual fee. This one will get you home if you are injured at least 100 miles from home world-wide. It all boils down to where you are going hunting.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks for the info - saves me a lot of research time

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Had a friend that had to use Global Rescue this year in South Africa. They sent a medical crew including a doctor to him on a helicopter major medical evacuation (crushed chest, punctured lung, and spinal injuries) from a remote area, which is the only reason he is still alive. The helicopter crew stabilized him, moved him to an airport, where he was moved on a plane with a medical crew and then on to Johannesburg. He was extremely positive in his reviews of their service.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have used Ripcord the last three trip's. I had to use it for a Service interruption last trip and they paid the whole claim!!! I would highly recommend them.

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by jeffbird
Had a friend that had to use Global Rescue this year in South Africa. They sent a medical crew including a doctor to him on a helicopter major medical evacuation (crushed chest, punctured lung, and spinal injuries) from a remote area, which is the only reason he is still alive. The helicopter crew stabilized him, moved him to an airport, where he was moved on a plane with a medical crew and then on to Johannesburg. He was extremely positive in his reviews of their service.

I am glad Global Rescue took care of your friend.

If you you are in a truly remote country such as Republic of Congo, CAR, or other West Africa S---tholes, (South Africa and Zim are just not that remote) make certain the rescue service will come get you in these areas in a timely fashion, make them tell you specifics of the plan prior to purchasing the policy.

Personally, I will not use Global Rescue, however I am not saying Rip Cord is any better.

Last edited by Mike70560; 01/16/18.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Mike70560
Originally Posted by jeffbird

I am glad Global Rescue took care of your friend.

If you you are in a truly remote country such as Republic of Congo, CAR, or other West Africa S---tholes, (South Africa and Zim are just not that remote) make certain the rescue service will come get you in these areas in a timely fashion, make them tell you specifics of the plan prior to purchasing the policy.

Personally, I will not use Global Rescue, however I am not saying Rip Cord is any better.

So what do you recommend?

M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
I will probably use Rip Cord, but do not know enough about the company to recommend them, although they pulled some hunters out of a bad situation in CAR and the hunters were pleased with the services. The only definite international trips I have this year are to the Amazon rainforest near Manaus, Brazil and Cold Lake Alberta, both of which are accessible.

I am thinking about a trip to Guinea-Conakry, that one is a little more tricky.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Watch your feet in the rainforest. Was there a few years ago and the Fer de Lances can be almost invisible. I highly recommend snake boots.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Check out" Africa Hunting .com " .Plenty of info there

IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Back around 2010 or 2011, Global Rescue saved a woman's life in Matetsi. She and her husband were bird hunting when a cape buff came rushing out of the jess and sorted them properly. She was the more severely injured of the two. Global Rescue literally saved her life. I keep Global Rescue active on an annual basis.

Ripcord may be just as good, but I have no experience with them and don't know anyone who has.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I used Ripcord for my trip to Zim last year and will use them again for my trip to Burkina Faso next year. Steve Turner "promotes" them and I use him for every trip I do so am very comfortable with my decision.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I currently use ripcord, I have a sat phone with me in the truck with their number programmed into it. My son is often with me and I would never forgive myself if, in an effort to save a grand, I did not have the phone and the time it could save if something goes really wrong. I make sure that everyone in my group knows how to operate it. Also handy for the occasional call from the bush which is fun for the folks at home.

M
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Thanks for the suggestions, had A good conversation with Some of the providers today,

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

338 members (12344mag, 1lesfox, 222Sako, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 160user, 31 invisible), 1,800 guests, and 1,136 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,750
Posts18,495,362
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.