Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
BwanaND Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I recently came into ownership of my first ever 1-6x24mm scope (Thanks Doug!) and am trying to figure out the best application of said scope.

What would you put it on? Is this my excuse for buying a new gun and if so, what should it be?

Am considering putting it on my Model 700 in .30-'06 but not sure I want to break up the current pairing which is a Weaver Grand Slam 2.5-10x40.

Thoughts?

GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Low-power, light weight, small objectives are great for snap shots. I'd throw it on a woods rifle, lever gun, timber/mountain rifle.

I belong on eroding granite, among the pines.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
6x is plenty to shoot well below moa out to at least 300 yards. I do it all the time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ain't mathman. At 300 I really struggle and prefer 10x if I'm trying to hit inside a 3" dot. My eyes ain't so good though.

Hunting? Elk and even deer are pretty damn big. 6x is plenty well past 300 for me.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Originally Posted by MadMooner
I ain't mathman. At 300 I really struggle and prefer 10x if I'm trying to hit inside a 3" dot. My eyes ain't so good though.

Hunting? Elk and even deer are pretty damn big. 6x is plenty well past 300 for me.

Try quartering a blank sheet of paper at 300. It worked well enough for me to shoot well below moa on 3.5x.

IC B2

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
6x scope is a lot of magnification. You should never ever shoot at any Animal at distance longer that 120 m. It is not just a scope that can cause miss at longer distance. It is wind, it is your accuracy, it is rifle accuracy (80 % of all rifles in N.A are not capable even and basic accuracy). to Shoot at any animal longer than 120 m is just an idiot who does not mind to wound an Animal

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by myYukon
6x scope is a lot of magnification. You should never ever shoot at any Animal at distance longer that 120 m. It is not just a scope that can cause miss at longer distance. It is wind, it is your accuracy, it is rifle accuracy (80 % of all rifles in N.A are not capable even and basic accuracy). to Shoot at any animal longer than 120 m is just an idiot who does not mind to wound an Animal

I agree, I wouldn't shoot at an animal farther than 120 miles with a 6x.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Way back there, a gun writer (maybe Sundra) published an article touting the 6x ans the perfect hunting rifle scope. He was a sharp guy and made several good points to support his views. Before getting into variables, I used a good 6x for a long time on everything from small varmints to elk/bear. Never a problem. Won't try that now with these tired/fuzzy eyes.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You might find your objective size to be more limiting than your 6x. I hunt with several 20mm scopes and i do sometime which I had a bigger objective for more light . But i hunt with those in timber or thick stuff where shots are close so not really a big deal.

Life can be rough on us dreamers.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H

Hilarious! You should go on the road.

IC B3

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N

Clark

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
L
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
L
I am a fan of the straight tubed 24mm's in the 1.1-4, 1-6 range. For my hunting the 6 power would not be limiting. Though the objective size can be limiting, depending on your shooting hours, terrain, environmental conditions.

I will say that most of the time the quality 24mm's last as long as I do when getting dark. I use them quiet often. The last moose that I killed the rifle had a 1st focal plane reticle 1.1-4x24 on it, set on about 2.5 power. It was pretty low light and the moose was around 170 yds. Given more time, I would have put it on 4x. But, had it set to the lowest power where the reticle was very visible. I was actually expecting the moose at about 50 yds. By the time that I identified the appropriate brow times with bino's, he was not pausing for pictures.

Originally Posted by BwanaND
I recently came into ownership of my first ever 1-6x24mm scope (Thanks Doug!) and am trying to figure out the best application of said scope.

What would you put it on? Is this my excuse for buying a new gun and if so, what should it be?

Am considering putting it on my Model 700 in .30-'06 but not sure I want to break up the current pairing which is a Weaver Grand Slam 2.5-10x40.

Thoughts?

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by BwanaND

Thoughts?

What model/brand scope?

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I agree, I wouldn't shoot at an animal farther than 120 miles with a 6x.

Yeah, with that many miles I want at least a 9x...........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I'm surprised that so many guys are looking at the 6x and calling it great for whatever to 300 and beyond, but only a couple guys have mentioned the 24mm objective, which I would definitely NOT call good to 300 and beyond for whatever.

What am I missing? I've got small objective, low power scopes, and they are great in high-contrast, well-lit environments (or when aiming at white paper), but their range is limited by the low clarity at distance in poor light conditions. I would stretch a 33 or a 36 and up to 300 and beyond for whatever, but small objectives are a trade-off, IMO.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by HuntnShoot
I'm surprised that so many guys are looking at the 6x and calling it great for whatever to 300 and beyond, but only a couple guys have mentioned the 24mm objective, which I would definitely NOT call good to 300 and beyond for whatever.

What am I missing? I've got small objective, low power scopes, and they are great in high-contrast, well-lit environments (or when aiming at white paper), but their range is limited by the low clarity at distance in poor light conditions. I would stretch a 33 or a 36 and up to 300 and beyond for whatever, but small objectives are a trade-off, IMO.

Just hunt in well lit areas.....

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It's so simple....genius! Gosh, thanks. I feel kind of dumb that I didn't come up with that sooner. I've heard that elk prefer open areas that are well-lit when the hunting pressure gets heavy, but I just didn't believe it. Until now.

You should be a life coach, Steelhead. I haven't felt this good about the future in a long time. Since November of 2008, to be exact.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Steelhead

It's so simple....genius! Gosh, thanks. I feel kind of dumb that I didn't come up with that sooner. I've heard that elk prefer open areas that are well-lit when the hunting pressure gets heavy, but I just didn't believe it. Until now.

You should be a life coach, Steelhead. I haven't felt this good about the future in a long time. Since November of 2008, to be exact.

In contrast to you're 'brainstorm' idea of just aiming 2 inches lower. Again, we don't all hunt the same places or for the same shiet. Sorry if you can't kill something past 20 yards with a 20mm bell. You're shortcomings ain't everyone's shortcomings.

There ends the lesson.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Still got some sass left

Must be that 90,000000000000 post count. You gonna blow Sitka for your milestone post?

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If I had a 1-6x scope, it would go on an AR.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

267 members (10gaugemag, 257_X_50, 2ndwind, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 34 invisible), 3,084 guests, and 1,018 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,619
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.