Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by satx78247
Nestucca,

Fwiw, those Warthog jockeys often fire their guns to within 10-15M of "our fragile little bods". - That's what we "groundpounders" call "DANGER CLOSE". = They are REALLY GOOD at what they do. AND they often fly at 10-20M or less from Tierra Firma.
(I knew a fellow "way down there" who claimed that he actually saw a Warthog "dragging its landing gear" on the tops of some small bushes. - YEP, I believe him!!)

yours, tex

Cheers and beers to those boys and thanks for your service

GB1

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Tex,

Sounds like you have enjoyed a sporty life.

I worked out of Shkin and we enjoyed lots of CAS via Apaches and AC130 up in the mountains “on” the border. Never had to enjoy hot hogs, but we all knew our lives just got a lot better when we heard those gun ships coming up the valley.

Duty, Honor, Country
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
RLTW,

Actually most of my days "way down yonder" were more BORING than watching grass grow and/or watching paint dry. - There were however a few brief & downright STRANGE moments.
(Remind me sometime "off line" to tell you about "our spotted midnight visitor". = NOBODY will even believe that one.)
I hereby remind you of the saying about the difference in a war story & a fairy tale.

While I didn't do anything that can truthfully be called "sporty", special or even important, MANY of our guys/gals/allies DID to some really amazing things with hardly any resources/help.
(Funny thing how, when things "go sideways" how "those on high" are suddenly just too busy & just too involved elsewhere to do what they promised and/or cover our tender bods.)

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

William Barrett Travis, Lt.Col., comdt.
Fortress of The Alamo, Bejar
F'by 24, 1836
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith_dunlap
Prayers for the pilots and ground soldiers !

what he said

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
2legit2quit,

Ditto.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NYH1

A-10's putting in work!

It's amazing how well that pilot was handling the stress of that - his breathing remained fairly calm and consistent throughout. You could hear him grunting as he was pulling G's coming up out of those gun runs.
Fugking hell yeah!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prm
CAS and FAC(A) are two very challenging missions, and the A-10s are very good at them (to a point with threat levels). I enjoyed working them when I was a FAC(A), about the easiest guys to control. They move slow, are easy to see, have great endurance (weapons and gas) and they know what they are doing.

What's a FAC(A)? Forward Air Controller - Army?

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Forward Air Controller (Airborne) = FAC(A)

Doing the same job as a ground FAC, just doing it from an aircraft. It's much easier to get aircraft on target from the air because you have the same perspective and mindset as the strike aircraft. Passing digital coordinates combined with helmet and targeting pod cueing is making it easier, but there is still a benefit to seeing the target area from their point of view. Before becoming a qualified FAC(A) we had to become a qualified ground FAC through the USMC schools. Learn calls for fire for everything from mortars to artillery, helos, electronic warfare, fighters and gunships. Gunships are fun!

Last edited by prm; 01/25/18.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Ever notice that the front landing gear is offset to let the gun set right down the center line, and the gun fires from the three o'clock barrel?
The pilot sits there and aims the damn thing like a rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Nestucca
Originally Posted by satx78247
Nestucca,

Fwiw, those Warthog jockeys often fire their guns to within 10-15M of "our fragile little bods". - That's what we "groundpounders" call "DANGER CLOSE". = They are REALLY GOOD at what they do. AND they often fly at 10-20M or less from Tierra Firma.
(I knew a fellow "way down there" who claimed that he actually saw a Warthog "dragging its landing gear" on the tops of some small bushes. - YEP, I believe him!!)

yours, tex

Cheers and beers to those boys and thanks for your service

+1 - Thank you.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
In my day, a FAC-A was one qualified to work airstrikes for US ground forces. FAC-B could only work with allied troops. In theory. In practice, when a ground guy screamed for a FAC and airstrikes, the first FAC to show up was welcomed indeed. And nobody asked if he was an A or a B, I assure you. There were few ground FACs simply because the terrain didn't permit views of more than a few yards.

The Vietnam-era airborne FAC job was THE most challenging, difficult, and stressful flying job ever invented. That's according to today's experts, not those of us who did the job. But in hindsight, I have to agree. It's only a whisker easier now, with GPS, laser designators, and other technology. But the stress is still there. The complexity is still there. And the political red tape entanglement they handle in real time is still there, if not worse.

The FAC job as I flew it is an extinct occupation. It would be non-survivable today (and was getting that way even then.)

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
RockyRaab,

As I said elsewhere", you guys "have more guts than people". = I salute all of the FACs.

yours, tex

"VICTORY OR DEATH"

F'by 24, 1836
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by RockyRaab

The Vietnam-era airborne FAC job was THE most challenging, difficult, and stressful flying job ever invented. That's according to today's experts, not those of us who did the job. But in hindsight, I have to agree. It's only a whisker easier now, with GPS, laser designators, and other technology. But the stress is still there. The complexity is still there. And the political red tape entanglement they handle in real time is still there, if not worse.

The FAC job as I flew it is an extinct occupation. It would be non-survivable today (and was getting that way even then.)

Amen! What you did is the real deal!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Around the Big Red One we see helicopters all the time. For about ten years I lived down around Holloman AFB so hearing every F-aircraft that can break the sound barrier was common place. Yet, sometimes I'd be over by or passing through Tucson and always loved watching the A-10's fly in that area. Such a awesome aircraft. Something you wouldn't think could make it off the ground just effortlessly peels the river of air between heaven and earth.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
It sounds like he A-10s are flying CAS for the first time in three years. I cant think of a better aircraft for the job

I agree...and they're called "Warthogs"....not "WARhogs"....

well excuse my ass for missing the TTTTTTTT

There is no excuse for your sorry ass.................................................... grin grin grin oops sorry, there is no excuse for your ass...................... laugh laugh laugh

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 06hunter59, 1941USMC, 1OntarioJim, 10gaugeman, 1936M71, 65 invisible), 2,443 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,887
Posts18,518,291
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.