Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Amazing how many people want to risk other people's money on their notions. How many semi-custom makers have gone belly-up in the last few years because of poor business decisions?

Buy something else.

To me,it would be about keeping my word,even if it cost me money personally. I guess a man's word doesn't mean anything in the business world though.

Didn't see the "promise" myself, so can't comment on how definite it was, but I can't blame any business that finds it can't follow through on a planned product if the numbers don't add up. They also have a responsibility to their ownership, employees, and suppliers to remain solvent.

As suggested above, maybe a deep-pocketed wholesaler or dealer can pony up for a run of say, left-handed 6.5s that would ensure they wouldn't lose money. I expect, however, that even then there'd be complaints about the lack of cartridge options.😛

What fresh Hell is this?
HR IC

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Amazing how many people want to risk other people's money on their notions. How many semi-custom makers have gone belly-up in the last few years because of poor business decisions?

Buy something else.

To me,it would be about keeping my word,even if it cost me money personally. I guess a man's word doesn't mean anything in the business world though.

Didn't see the "promise" myself, so can't comment on how definite it was, but I can't blame any business that finds it can't follow through on a planned product if the numbers don't add up. They also have a responsibility to their ownership, employees, and suppliers to remain solvent.

As suggested above, maybe a deep-pocketed wholesaler or dealer can pony up for a run of say, left-handed 6.5s that would ensure they wouldn't lose money. I expect, however, that even then there'd be complaints about the lack of cartridge options.😛

I understand your point and would also like to know exactly who said exactly what about the left hand models. At the same time though,a business can't make promises and just decide later that the promise doesn't work for them financially. Suppose scope manufacturers operated that way. You bought a super XYZ that had a no questions asked lifetime warranty but 2 years later the company decided that the lifetime warranty didn't work for them and now your warranty is only good for 90 days. My point is that your word has to mean something,and all decisions can't always be about the bottom dollar.

That said,I do not know exactly who promised a left hand model at Barrett. I don't personally need a left hand model and I still wish Barrett success with the Fieldcraft.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Your scope analogy is an altogether different scenerio. If Barrett had taken orders for leftys, I'd say they had an obligation to follow through. Trade show opinings or notions expressed in passing aren't a committment.

Been disappointed myself by promises made by companies, mostly in electronics and software, so I know the bitter taste it leaves.

What fresh Hell is this?
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/11925156/1

Bought a LH Forbes rifle very impressed with it, and was thrilled to hear that Barret bought the remaining Forbes and was going to build a LH
version in 6.5 Cr Moor. Have been waiting and communicating with Forbes and suppliers to see when it would be available, been promised it since late 2016 or early 2017 as I recall.

Link to old thread the LH rifle was in initial catalog , called and was supposed to be built in 17. So very disappointing to have been promised
a LH Barrett Fieldcraft several times and then changed there mind. Would have better off not to have said they were going to build it. Life is full of disappointments.

With a me LH and one serious incident involving eye injury, RH rifle I choose to shoot LH rifles for safety.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Your scope analogy is an altogether different scenerio. If Barrett had taken orders for leftys, I'd say they had an obligation to follow through. Trade show opinings or notions expressed in passing aren't a committment.

Been disappointed myself by promises made by companies, mostly in electronics and software, so I know the bitter taste it leaves.

You seem to keep missing the point. I'm not talking about legal or written obligations.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So a possible employee on an internet forum said Barrett would make LH offerings. Barrett had LH part numbers listed on their site for a little while when first introduced, before ANY of the rifles had even shipped. Also, some slick-haired, polo shirt wearing used car salesman type at SHOT Show last year may have offered up LH models. Those seems to be the extent of the “promises”.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
That's huge disappointment. Barretts gone back on their word.

Winchester said in 2012 they should have left handed rifles in about 5 years.

Kimber won't make anything left handed.

It's definitely a big disappointment being a left handed rifle looney.

I think I'll try and get a LH mrc x2 before they decide to stop making lefties.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Going to have to see if the new MRC X-3 just announced will eventually be offered in a left hand. Supposed to be 2 pounds lighter than the X-2

http://www.gunsandammo.com/shot-show/9-new-long-range-hunting-rifles-for-2018/

Good to support makers that actually make stuff for us.

Gerry.
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
So a possible employee on an internet forum said Barrett would make LH offerings. Barrett had LH part numbers listed on their site for a little while when first introduced, before ANY of the rifles had even shipped. Also, some slick-haired, polo shirt wearing used car salesman type at SHOT Show last year may have offered up LH models. Those seems to be the extent of the “promises”.

I don't know who made the promises. I'm only saying that no promises should have been made,and if they were made by anyone accountable,then they should be accountable to those promises.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

You seem to keep missing the point. I'm not talking about legal or written obligations.

Me either.

What fresh Hell is this?
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
find it odd that barrett cant make numbers on it but Melvin Forbes could justify it and his rifle was more expensive leading to fewer sales in my mind....

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Barrett has run the numbers and based on their experience with RH choices they know what it costs just to change cartridge options. There is not enough money in a LH model to cover costs and the price would have to be much higher and that would become the big beef.

Government tends to spend bad money just because the project was planned long ahead of time, regardless how things change and the finances shrink. Businesses cannot afford to be stupid.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Selfishly I hope they chose to not do left hand to offer more right hand options like WSMs and PRC, and SAUM and such wink

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Don't hold your breath for the fat ones. Like the Kimbers, they'd likely have to beef up the receiver for those. Like the leftys, probably not enough potential sales to justify the investment.

How many guys want a 5lb .300?

What fresh Hell is this?
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Barrett should make one LH model because they said they would.It's important to keep your word regardless of what it costs you.

Just make one LH model in one caliber. They should make their money back on just one. Perhaps in the 6.5 Creedmoor.

They lied to me on more than one occasion about this. They also listed it on their website. Lying is lying regardless, but the gun industry has been misleading the LH buying market for years.

I have a video here somewhere of Ronnie Barrett saying “it’s never wrong to do the right thing”. Laughing. Well I guess that depends apparently on what that right thing is.

P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Here it is. Laughing.

https://youtu.be/GrjBrQ_2bRU

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
"LYING"? This escalated quickly. Thats a bold word. Will there be a retraction and apology if a left handed Fieldcraft hits the market in a few months?

When a company rep, whoever that may be, is passionate about what they do and lets prematurely slip some info about a project they are excited about, that is not "lying" and it is not a "promise".

Im sorry you are so upset, but you will have to wait for a LH Fieldcraft, and a magnum, and a brown stock, and a 223 AI and so on. Good people are doing the best they can.

Last edited by Tennessee; 02/02/18.
N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Don't hold your breath for the fat ones. Like the Kimbers, they'd likely have to beef up the receiver for those. Like the leftys, probably not enough potential sales to justify the investment.

How many guys want a 5lb .300?

Does Kimber make a 5# 300 WSM?
I can't see a Barrett short mag. action weighing any less than a Kimber..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
P
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
P
Laughing! They listed a LH option on there website. I have spoken with Barrett about it. It will be available before x. X arrives. Sorry, it will be available before x. Shall I go on? If you don’t like lying then maybe completely misleading would be a better term.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
There will be no LH Barrett Fieldcraft rifles built. I learned this today here at SCI. The decision was just recently made and I'm led to believe it was in the past 2 weeks. This disappoints me terribly. Barrett spokesperson said their market research showed that 5% of the market would buy a LH rifle and it just will not provide them with the return they need.
Dammit.

And this is where the fight started..

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

482 members (160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 47 invisible), 2,242 guests, and 1,116 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,509
Posts18,490,747
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.