Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
...Alaska is owned by the Federales..

And we can thank that worthless POS Jimmy Carter for that...

Locked up 157,000,000 acres.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Born in Victoria, spend most of my growing up years in Victoria and Hallettsville

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Born in Laredo my family has been in that area since the 1740's. Recently retired and living in San Antonio but looking for a house in Laredo to move back home.

" It's the nut behind the butt that makes the difference"
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Was born near Houston, raised in East Texas, just about Beaumont, been back on the coast near Freeport a long time now. My wife was born near Wichita Falls, we go there to visit a few times a year. I've lived briefly in Louisiana, spent a little time in Illinois - both of those while doing chemical plant work for Shell Chemical. Been pretty much all over the state (Texas), and like about all of it.

Mike Holmes

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
Born in Yorktown, raised in Houston, graduated from A&M, lived half of my adult life in the Plano area, but work has me in North Carolina. North Carolina is a great place to live and I'll likely die here... but Texas is home.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
My folks were born and raised in Fisher County. I actually didn’t get to Texas until ‘72. Now I’m in Fisher County. I can shoot out to 800 yards on my own place, the hunting is good, and the most beautiful sunsets in the world. Life is good...

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Born in Austin, 1948. I now live in Round Rock and do a little hunting in San Saba county. My mother’s family settled in San Saba , Richland Springs area, late 1800’s. Pop’s family settled around Cameron after the Civil War.

I just retired so:

I’m in Canyon right now looking over the Panhandle Plains museum. I could spend a few days there ! Visited Palo Duro.
But, heading to Oklahoma City to the National Cowboy, Western heritage museum in the morning.

Gonna get down to the Big Bend country soon.

Terry
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Sendero
Born in Austin, 1948. I now live in Round Rock and do a little hunting in San Saba county. My mother’s family settled in San Saba , Richland Springs area, late 1800’s. Pop’s family settled around Cameron after the Civil War.

I just retired so:

I’m in Canyon right now looking over the Panhandle Plains museum. I could spend a few days there ! Visited Palo Duro.
But, heading to Oklahoma City to the National Cowboy, Western heritage museum in the morning.

Theres a Comanche Indian Museum on the east side of Amarillo right off I-40. Haven't had a chance to check it out, but since your traveling that direction, I'd bet it's worth the stop.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I just retired so:

Find out where the hot spring is. I've sat in that water for hours on end in 25-degree weather and enjoyed every minute. Back in the 80s, folks who visited it at night had a tendency to wear nothing, and I suppose it's probably still the same. When some buddies and I were occupying it one night years ago, a National Geographic film crew showed up to appreciate the hot spring. There were some lovely women with them, and I appreciated the view. Good ol days!

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Is that in the big bend area ?

Terry
IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by larrylee
Maybe so but Alaska is not full of Blacks and Mexicans!

You obviously haven't been up there lately...

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yes it is. Literally on the river, not terribly far from the western edge of the park.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Is it Chinati hot springs your talking about!

http://www.chinatihotsprings.net

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kaywoodie
Is it Chinati hot springs your talking about!

http://www.chinatihotsprings.net

No, it's not. I heard about that one, but never ventured up beyond Presidio going north up the river. This hot spring is literally ON the river bank, downstream from Presidio and a little ways into BBNP.

Don't be the darkness.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I am not native but am living in Texas for the fourth and last time. I did my first stint in Houston in 1993 for 18 months working a project with Bechtel for our (Shell) NorCal refinery. My wife and two sons were in NorCal and I/they bounced betwixt for the duration. I wrapped construction of said project (a 100 MW combined cycle cogen) in NorCal and we moved to Midland in 1996 to work at our Odessa refinery. I was a young pup maintenance/reliabilty manager. This is where I met member Elkhunter49, Bev. We shut down and decommissioned the refinery and I put together a demo contract for the facility then moved on to SE Kansas to a newly acquired refinery. Come 2000 we landed in Houston and I ran our Low Sulfur Gasoline Project that involved five of our refineries. In late 2004 the oil sands projects in Alberta were booming (recall oil at $140/bbls...) and we headed up there for just shy of five years I working a large expansion project. As an aside, my middle son (26) and Doc Rocket graduated from the same high school there. Soon after I moved the family north we awarded the EPCm contract to Bechtel with the front end design to be led out of their Houston office. So six after moving the gang north from Houston I had an apartment in Houston traveling betwixt for a bit over a year. Moved back to join the family in Calgary and wrapped my responsibilities (engineering and procurement management). With my assignment concluding we needed to head back to my US "base" which was Houston. We had little desire to live in Houston again. I had already started a job in the Middle East so knew I would likely wrap my career outside the US. There just wasn't any big work going on in the State's. My wife and I discussed a retirement location (we already owned the place in north Idaho). We knew little of the Hill Country but she had a friend that was retiring there. She did a recon trip whilst I was working in the Middle East and liked Boerne. I came home for leave, we house hunted and landed from where I type. Out of town on a half dozen acres and we are happy campers. We are often asked by old friends why Texas? The answer is consistently "the people" beginning the with first we met in Midland. Today we bounce between here and Idaho.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Is that in the big bend area ?

My memory has surely failed. The hot spring is nowhere near where I remembered it to be. It's actually nearer to the eastern end of the park. It's still right on the river, though. If you're interested, I know you can find out where it is using google. Just search "hot spring big bend national park" and you'll find it.

Don't be the darkness.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Born and raised in SA,TX but have called CO home for last 31 yrs. Sister still lives there.

Ed

A person who asks a question is a fool for 5 minutes the person who never asks is a fool forever.

The worst slaves are those that put the chains on themselves.
R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
5th generation in Hunt Co for me, my kids were 4th generation through the same school district. Reasonable cost of living and lots of employment opportunities within an 1.5 hour's drive. Lots of areas are more scenic but it's still home to me.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Native. Born 1954 Ft.Bliss, El Paso, Tx. Father’s side Scots-Irish and Mom’s side named Houston...yeah that one. Texas has been good to me and for me and my family. Been and seen lots of places, but always glad to get back.

https://youtu.be/KQoXnz3h_FE

Lyle singing “That’s right you’re not from Texas!” Damn good music. Wife went to school with him and Robert Earl Keen at Texas A & M.

God Bless You All, God Bless Texas!

America, Our Country and we’re taking it back.
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Texan born & bred, 6th generation. Wife is same, 7th generation & DRT ((daughter of Texas Revolution).

Jim

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

502 members (1941USMC, 1beaver_shooter, 01Foreman400, 1badf350, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 59 invisible), 2,221 guests, and 1,165 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,379
Posts18,506,668
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.