Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
berryns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I'm looking at buying a set of Leupold QRW quick release rings for a Leupold M8 6x36 to put on my Remington 700 that wears Warne Bases. Currently, i'm using Warne Maxima QD rings on all my scopes, and with good luck. I just thought it would be nice to use Leupold rings on a Leupold scope.

My questions are - what are your experiences with the QRW rings ? If you own both, the Maxima and the Leupold QRW rings, which do you prefer ?

Thanks in advance.

"Venison vanishcth down the vale,
with bounding hoof and flaunting tail."
GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've used the Leupold quick release rings on a Remington 700. I was surprised at how the zero was completely unchanged after swapping scopes. I've read at least one report of a lever breaking off. I've never experienced such a problem.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Except for the recoil lug not being attached, I like the Warne Maxima QR rings.

I had the Leupold QRs on several rifles, but have mostly moved to Warnes. I had a rifle with QRs that was leaning against my bench slide onto the carpeted floor and both take-down levers snapped off. The levers are the opposite of robust and although I like the mounts, I was concerned that they are too fragile for me to trust while afield, particularly if I was afield and didn't have a spare rifle with me. The primary reason that I use QRs is so that I can swap a first/last light scope, in my case 6x42s with HD reticles, to use in place of the 8am to 4pm scopes. This only happened once, but once was enough.

Leupold sells replacement QR levers, so if you happen to snap them off, you can save the bases, but it isn't practical to do this in the field.

G
G
QRW's work fine but I like PRW's better. They are nearly as quick and they don't have a lever that catches grass and twigs.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by greatbasin
QRW's work fine but I like PRW's better. They are nearly as quick and they don't have a lever that catches grass and twigs.

That's why I turn my QR levers so that they point backward, nothing to catch on.

IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I've run the QR system on my 9.3x62 and ALWAYS returns to zero.

https://www.leupold.com/product-series/quick-release-mounting-systems?page=2

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
i love the qrw ones and using one for a 9.3x62 too but i do not like that the small QR .

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I do not like the 2/3 type top ring, on any of the W series.
It marks the tube 1) when you first put them on, 2) when you take them off.

Maybe you never change scopes, maybe your install is perfect, (no radial or end to end shifting)...but in my limited experience these rings mar scope tubes.

Also folks put the hammer to the dual screws that affix to the base. I was at a local big chain sport shop...the gunsmith had a half dozen CRACKED QRW clamp components in a box of parts.

'Almost converted all of my W type mounts to Warnes and happy for it.

I have had great results with the QR type...go figure!

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have had the clamps crack.

Junk.

Tony

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have used several sets of the QRW rings and bases over the last 20 years and I have had great luck with them. My only complaint is that the levers rust quite easily in marine environments, but that is easily fixed by wiping them down with an oily rag once a day or so.

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
IC B3

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I hunt in the Rain Forest. QRs in Silver finish has been ever so much better than any blue ring/base (steel) system. I use RIG grease on the recoil studs...fill the hole, actually. Paste wax over most everything else. No blued base screws...ever! Nickel screws only. No longer offered in Silver. Would like to have some 30MM but not in Blue steel.

Again Warne seems to be the answer...

Watch 'Yer Topknot!
Campfire Savant
Campfire Savant
Are the Talley’s any good?

B
berryns Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
Everyone, thanks for the responses. I think i'm gonna stick with the Warne QD's over the Leupolds.

"Venison vanishcth down the vale,
with bounding hoof and flaunting tail."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I avoid scratching the scope by using two punches on the ring, put one through each hole and squeeze them together like a pair of pliers, then slip the ring onto the scope. Same for taking it off.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

I've have the Leupold QRs on most of my rifles and have used the system on primitive northern Canada hunts and twice in Africa. The zero is unchanged, once the lever pins are seated from use.

It's really great to have a spare scope in your kit, already zeroed for the rifle, if you need it. I've never had to use it, but just knowing that a spare scope is there is NICE.

And, no, I've never had one break or give a moments problem.

kd

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Vic_in_Va
I avoid scratching the scope by using two punches on the ring, put one through each hole and squeeze them together like a pair of pliers, then slip the ring onto the scope. Same for taking it off.

I'll have to give that a try!

I usually take a small piece of printer paper, double it and "line" the inside of the upper ring with it, the push it down over the scope. Haven't scratched/marked one yet!

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I love them. Never had one give me any problems.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Had them on a Encore muzzleloader for probably 10 years. Take the scope off every year for good cleaning. Never had to adjust.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I use them on several rifles that have two scopes of the same kind sighted in for hunts I am on.I keep the spare scope in my daypack.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have the QR system carrying a Leupold 1.5-5 x on a M70 .375 H&H. That combination has never shifted zero. I have not removed/replaced the scope so I'm unable to comment on repeatability.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

395 members (1badf350, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 160user, 163bc, 22250rem, 30 invisible), 2,052 guests, and 1,037 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,981
Posts18,499,680
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.