Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have a Leupold VX-II 4-12x50 duplex scope that I'd like to sell or trade. I picked this up a few weeks ago in a swap on here, and although I really like the scope and the magnification range is perfect for my needs, the 50mm objective is causing me some installation issues. I could get a set of higher rings, and still may, but I'd like to see if I can move this scope along and get something with a 40-44mm objective first.

The scope is in very good overall condition. There is one minor ring mark, as shown in the picture. The rest of the tube and the glass is perfect. The scope has a U suffix so it was manufactured in 2009. It comes with Butler Creek covers, the original box, and the paperwork.

I'm interested in swapping for/towards another scope (VX2, VX3, Burris, Zeiss, Meopta) with a 12-16x top end and 40mmish objective.

This particular scope when new was a bit pricey for the VX-II line. I'd be willing to sell it for $350 shipped.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Rather than going though all the hassle you described above, here is what I typically do when I am presented with your situation. Go to your tool box and find a socket that is roughly the same diameter as your barrel. Tape the socket to the bottom of the objective. Set this on your garage floor. Using a rubber mallet tap very lightly on the top of the objective until it fits. Check the clearance often so you do not over do it, you will use more tape, but it's worth it.

Hope this helps

bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'll have to keep that in mind.

bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm open to reasonable offers.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I talked to my uncle last night at Thursday night bowling and told him about your scope issue. He said he only uses the socket trick as a last resort, he does not like it because it could damage the socket and it is to far of a drive to the Sears store in Williston to get a new one. What my uncle does is just use a belt sander and some shinola shoe polish to bring back the matte finish. That will probably do the trick for you.

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Never heard of the afore mentioned method I am 80 years old and worked part time in a sporting goods store I don't think I would do any banging on a $400.00 scope As for trading you will incur the cost of shipping yours and with insurance you will be better off the buy high rings suitable for the base you have You already said you are happy with the scope. Say the afore mentioned scope is done the way described and later on something goes wrong with the scope that is guaranteed for life do you think the company will honor that guarantee that scope Buy the high rings and never look back

Last edited by targetbuster; 01/26/18.
bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I'm most like going to just buy a Weaver style base and use a set of high rings I already own, or buy a set of dual dovetail high rings, but figured it was worth throwing this on here as there are a couple scopes I have my eye on.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
You could always get a set of hose clamps and strap it down on the barrel. You have to watch tightening so the wood doesn't come through the slots. LOL just kidding. Get higher rings. That's a nice scope so don't damage it. That will void the warranty.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by bersh
I'm most like going to just buy a Weaver style base and use a set of high rings I already own, or buy a set of dual dovetail high rings, but figured it was worth throwing this on here as there are a couple scopes I have my eye on.

For what you are going to pay for the base and rings, you could get a belt sander from Harbor Freight and still be able to use that for other things

I'm not judging, just say'n

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Looks like bersh has a fanboy. Everybody on the 'fire has to have one........

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by alpinecrick

Looks like bersh has a fanboy. Everybody on the 'fire has to have one........

I would not say fanboy, I consider myself more of a mentor. Bersh seems like a nice guy, just a little naive when it comes to setting up rifles. I'm just trying to save him some money and prevent him from making any big mistakes.

bersh Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a TC Weaver style base going to run with the scope and high rings I already own.

With that in mind the VX-II is off the market.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (10gaugemag, 257 roberts, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 2500HD, 222Sako, 59 invisible), 2,270 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,499
Posts18,509,181
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.