Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
This happens more than I thought.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
That happened to my BIL. By a former girlfriend from before he started dating his now wife. The wife surprised me by how well she took it and they have both embraced her warmly.

Personally I'm a little disappointed I've never had that knock at the door. I'll always wonder if it has anything to do with being kicked in the nuts so hard I passed out back around second grade.

Last edited by GunReader; 01/29/18.

National Rifle Association - Patron Member
National Muzzleloading Rifle Association - Life Member and 1 of 1000
Illinois State Rifle Association - Life Member
Carlinville Rifle & Pistol Club
~ Molɔ̀ːn Labé ~
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Happened to me last year. I was the oldest of me and my sister until I received a phone call from a woman claiming she was my sister. Now I am a middle child grin
It was unreal for me for a few weeks, she has been to the house t visit and we talk on the phone at least once a month. The wife and I are planning on going out to Arizona this year to meet my new to me nieces and nephews.
She is a really nice lady. She always knew she was adopted, and had to do a lot of work to find me and my sister.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
What a heck of a surprise! I wish them the best of luck.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Not the same circumstances but about 10 or 15 years ago my sister's husband found out he had an older brother. His father had been married before and they had a son. When Dad divorced and remarried, his new wife would never let their kids know about Dad's former life. After Mom died, my BIL found out a few things including that he had a brother who'd been estranged from his dad for more than 50 years. My BIL was scared to death to meet him but they met and have been the best of friends ever since. In fact, they hit it off so well that my BIL and his sister have made Dad change his will to include the new found brother. Fair is fair.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by hanco
My son in law got a surprise this weekend. A young woman showed up at their house. He has a 24 year old daughter he didn’t know about. She is a school teacher, married, seemed very nice. My daughter was surprised too. My granddaughter was pleased to find out she has an older sister. This girl and my granddaughter look just alike. They are going to do a DNA test to make sure.

Anyone ever had a surprise like that????

And you got a new Granddaughter!

Life is good.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I’m eager to meet this young lady!

O
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by hanco
This girl conceived 10 yrs before he married my daughter, my daughter seems to be taking it ok.

That's good. It doesn't create an issue between them as it occurred prior to marriage. I'm sure she's having to adjust to him having another child and i think women are more critical than men in situations like this. I hope this ends well for all concerned.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Guy I used to work with found out he had a daughter when she was 5. First he knew was when an ex GF took him to court for child support. DNA test confirmed it was his. He never challenged the suit past the DNA test and agreed to paid what the state determined he should pay. Now he gets her every other weekend and some weeks in the summer.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just this morning I finished reading a work of fiction in which the main character had this happen. While reading it I thought it was quite a stretch to have this happen but according to the replies here it is a somewhat common situation.

Jim

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I have an older brother I have never met. Would like to some day. Found out about him maybe 8 years ago. I wondered if he would be at dads funeral. He wasn't.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Had a friend years ago that got a court order one day to take a DNA test. Came from a woman that he had hooked up with for just one night 10 years before and she was looking for back child support, etc. I guess this woman was quite the whore way back then and most of the guys my buddy knew then had been with her at one time or another. Before he took the test, he called a bunch of guys who he knew in that time frame and found out that almost all of them had received the same court order to take the test and none of them was the father. My friend took the test and guess what? Yep, he was the father. He'd gotten married shortly after he was with this gal and his wife took it OK about the new addition to the family, but I know it really put a strain on their marriage, not to mention their bank account. His wife wanted kids quite badly but she never could have them, so that was like a dagger to her heart. It was definitely not a good thing, as far as they were concerned.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The back child support part should be BS. If mommy doesn't notify the potential daddy at the time, then he hasn't had a fair shot at structuring his life around his responsibility.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
10 years is a lot of child support. That's why she went after daddy. Was not for the child.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I worked with a guy that found out about a younger brother when he was 60. The man claiming to be family contacted his sister. The story was - His mother gave the youngest, a baby, up for adoption after a divorce from their father. My coworker confronted his mother, who was still alive, about it. Yes, she did give away a son she never talked about because she couldn't afford the fourth child.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
I don't see a lot to be happy about in these cases.

Sam......

D
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
D
Damn. Should be some way around the 10 year back child support. If you did not know that is.

Long live the NRA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I don't see a lot to be happy about in these cases.

How about that the mother had the baby and didn't murder them? Since that tragically is an option now, I'd say that's something in the plus column.

MAGA
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Well, I certainly got around with the ladies in my mis-spent youth. I would not be surprised if I got a visit like this.
I am on 23andme.com and I have heard of a case where some young gal joined up and found a match, her father! She paid him a visit and he was mighty surprised.

hanco Offline OP
Campfire Savant
OP Offline
Campfire Savant
I’m thankful it never happened to me!!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

509 members (1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 12344mag, 25classic, 2500HD, 60 invisible), 2,680 guests, and 1,315 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,294
Posts18,486,992
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.