Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#12594347 01/29/18
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Had the chance to fondle one at my LGS today. Well I’m already a Glock fanboy and this may be the best looking handgun they have ever made imo. It feels balanced factory night sights. 2 of the 3 mags supplies have factory extensions to hold 19 rounds. Anyone else have one yet? Or played with one? I’m pretty sure I’ll be owning one pretty soon.

Proud supporter of the NRA.
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I was able to get one of the four that came into my local shop last Monday. Nicely balanced and fits my hand well. The night sights and extended mags are nice to have features too. A lot of people don't like the color, but I have no problem with it....I actually have more other colored Glocks than black ones. Hopefully I'll get it to the range this week.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
So they have a short slide, full size grip, and EXTENDED magazines to make the grip longer?

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I saw one one at Field and Stream on Sunday. Meh. Doesn't excite me, although the color is cool.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Glock finally made a Glock 19 that doesn't take Glock 19 magazines. That sounds like a brilliant marketing move. Considering that the serial number is on the frame, and the frame determines the magazines it will take, it seems as though Glock should have called this the 17X. But, what do I know.

As far as the gun is concerned, I like the 19 sized frame, so the gun does nothing for me. But, that is a matter of personal preference, and others will disagree.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
So they have a short slide, full size grip, and EXTENDED magazines to make the grip longer?

Is that what the 19x is, I really ain't paid attention. If so, that's stupid.

I could like a 17 slide with a 19 grip

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Or a 19 grip with a 19 slide. Oh, wait a minute........ I have one.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
That's what they submitted to the military...I have to say, I just don't get it.

The shorter slide and longer grip frame makes no sense for military or civilian, exposed or concealed carry.

For those who are going to carry exposed, the shorter slide doesn't offer anything. For those who carry concealed, the longer grip frame doesn't offer anything.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
X2 on Cheyenne, Steelhead and GunGeek's comments. I just don't see the point.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux

Yep. The G19X ships with a 17 round flush fit and two 17+2 extended magazines. Gen5 magazines will not fit - the larger base plate hits the extension/lip on the front of the G19X grip and won't seat. Switch the base plate for Gen4 or earlier and the magazine will fit.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
IC B3

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GunGeek
That's what they submitted to the military...I have to say, I just don't get it.

The shorter slide and longer grip frame makes no sense for military or civilian, exposed or concealed carry.

For those who are going to carry exposed, the shorter slide doesn't offer anything. For those who carry concealed, the longer grip frame doesn't offer anything.

The military version also had a thumb safety. The US Army is a strange organization. That they're so successful in combat ops is because of the Soldiers who do great things, in spite of the equipment, rules and stupidity that they sometimes have to deal with. Kind of like any other large bureaucracy. People would have adapted to the Glock (just like the new SIG M17) and soldiered on without too many issues. It's all about the fighting and not so much the equipment.
Bob

Last edited by RGK; 01/30/18.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Now Bob, don't get all common-sensical with us. I just saw the cover of the latest Army Times at the PX (and you know how accurate the Army Times is) and it implied that the M17 is going to "change the way we fight".

Of course, if we're basing our military tactics on a handgun, we're already hosed.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesabi
Now Bob, don't get all common-sensical with us. I just saw the cover of the latest Army Times at the PX (and you know how accurate the Army Times is) and it implied that the M17 is going to "change the way we fight".

Of course, if we're basing our military tactics on a handgun, we're already hosed.

Yeah, that's BS promotion. For most soldiers on the pointy end, a handgun falls WAY below things like boots, ruck, chow, change of socks, TP...
Of course, if your only weapon is a handgun...well, suddenly a handgun is pretty damned important!

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by Steelhead
...I could like a 17 slide with a 19 grip

…… I went to the Glock booth at the SHOT show specifically to see one of these guns and ask about them. I was prepared to dislike the gun prior to seeing it and mentioned to the guy working the counter that a 17 slide on a 19 frame would seem a more logical morph than the other way around. He mentioned that the Army personnel that they dealt with really liked the G-19 but too many troops found the frame too short especially when wearing gloves. Ok, that makes sense. Then he said that they liked the "recoil impulse" of the G-19 better than the G-17 supposedly…….I find it impossible to believe that ANYONE in the Army that's not on the MTU can tell the difference, especially people in procurement. Still, when handling the gun, it felt good and balanced well in the hand---kind of reminiscent of a lightweight Commander vs a Gov't. model. All subjective nonsense of course.

In reality, I think that in part this gun was developed to bring something different to the table---the Glock guy said that SIG underbid Glock by over $100 million and that the 320's were costing the Gov't. just a little over $200 each. I suppose that that's public knowledge but I haven't seen it. At any rate, the G-19x didn't feel terrible, but the reasons given for it seemed less than credible to me. JMO.

Last edited by gmoats; 01/30/18.

The blindness from subjectivity is indistinguishable from the darkness of ignorance.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
Or a 19 grip with a 19 slide. Oh, wait a minute........ I have one.

Laughing here--that's awesome!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I find reloads and clearance drills easier with the G17/34 frame size. I have XXL mitts.
The G19X feels fantastic, and handles well. Carries a significant payload, but still balances nicely. All the bennies of the Gen5 included.

The Gen5 G17 works so well it is hard to top it. A black G19X... maybe.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Those the like the way the G19X balances - did you have a loaded or weighted magazine inserted?

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by JOG
Those the like the way the G19X balances - did you have a loaded or weighted magazine inserted?

Yes. 17rnds 124 NATO.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Wow, I seem to be in a minority of one...not an unusual place for me. I find myself stealing my wife’s G19 for concealed carry. To me it is the ideal balance of size/firepower. Any bigger, like the G17 and it becomes just a bit of a pain to carry and keep it concealed. Any smaller and the grip is too small for me to hold comfortably and usually there is a loss in available rounds.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

493 members (222Sako, 348srfun, 1badf350, 3040Krag, 19rabbit52, 204guy, 44 invisible), 3,383 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,726
Posts18,535,034
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.