Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
According to the fish and game website a type 4 tag (cow calf) costs the same as a type 1. Is that right? I'm a non resident looking at zone 7.

If you love someone set them free
If they come back no one else liked them
Set them free again
GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You can apply for the reduced price cow or calf tag. We did that last year and hunted unit 7. Bout 50% draw odds I believe with no points

J
JJD Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
type 6 is reduced price cow calf

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Type 4 cow tag will take your PP. Type 6 and 7 are reduced price cow/calf tags and do not take PP.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thanks for the help everyone. Looks like it's what I thought. I'm trying to hunt with a resident. I expect him to draw a type 4 or 1. They open in October. Type 6 tentatively opens in August. Type 7 opens in January. All of the deer seasons in deer area 65 open in October so I'll probably do that.

Set them free again
IC B2

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Cows can be tough to find on public land in area 7 until the snow starts to pile up and bull season closes. Of course at that time, the weather can be a big determining factor with drifting closing off some areas if the wrong storm rolls through. I'm probably not going to bother chasing any cows up there this year until after Thanksgiving. Btw, the type 6 only opens in August if you're hunting private land in certain counties, otherwise it opens to rifle in mid October like types 1 and 4.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Btw, the type 6 only opens in August if you're hunting private land in certain counties, otherwise it opens to rifle in mid October like types 1 and 4.

HMA's and walk-in areas are included in these areas that can be rifle hunted, opening in August.

Wyoming Game and Fish:

Good morning,
Thank you for your interest in hunting in Wyoming.
Question #1 is……..do HMA’s and Walk-In areas count as ‘private land’ starting August 15th (given those private areas are open during that timeframe).
HMA's and Walk in areas can contain private and public land. You will need review the map to verify if the section you are in is private or public. If the section is private you can use a private land only tag on it . For example the map below is Pinto Creek which is in area 7. The yellow squares are BLM and the blue squares are Wyoming State land,; both are public land and cannot be hunted during the private land timeframe. However if you have a permission slip for the correct dates the beige squares are private land and can be hunted if you have an access permit.

In zone 7…..a type 6 license can archery hunt Sept.1-30 on public….and rifle hunt ‘private land’ (HMA’s and walk-in’s) during that same time?
That is correct, you can rifle hunt in Platte county or Private land in Albany or Converse counties beginning August 15th. You can Archery hunt the entire area September 1-30 with a special archery permit.

"Those that think they know everything are annoying those of us that have Google." - Dr. D. Edward Wilkinson

Note to self: Never ask an old Fogey how he is doing today.
Revised note to self: Keep it short when someone asks how I am doing.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Looks like a type 6 would have worked but my odds wouldn't have been good

Set them free again

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

100 members (6MMWASP, Alan_C, 7mm_Loco, AdventureBound, 8 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 830 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,327
Posts18,505,887
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.