Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
Originally Posted by DLALLDER
Like as already been said, Get a Tikka!! You can choose from the T3 Lite to the T3 Forest.

I have a thing for CRF And 3 position or I would

Hard to fault you for that. I recently sold a tikka t3x superlite, because it's not a model 70. Absolutely no flies on the tikka though.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
On kimber owners Facebook page

I don't know much about that,and don't do facebook. Is there any way to get feedback on the guy and know if it's legit? If there's not,then personally I wouldn't chance it.

You can try Guns international too. Cabelas has one on there for $929. They may deal if you make an offer and it might be worth $50 more just to know for sure you won't get scammed.

I bet if you don't get in a hurry you might even find something local where you could do a face to face.

Good point... I'm unbelievably impatient when it comes to getting a new rifle. Haha

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I love my two model 70 EW. One in 300 wsm and one in 264 win. Both shoot and function superbly out of the box. Always wanted a Kimber but have hesitated due to all the ups and downs you here about . I have looked at a half a dozen wood stocked kimber 84& 84L and would say 4 of those had the barrel touching one side of the barrel channel. Pretty loose qc imo.i have been eyeing up the Kimber Hunter in 257 Roberts. Always wanted a Roberts. Just my 2 cents worth.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
Truthfully I think my biggest conflict at this point is deciding between the hunter which I can get for $699 or the Montana that was offered for sale but not in the cartridge I had originally planned. That being I wanted a 6.5 and the Montana is a7mm-08. I've heard good things about the 7mm-08 I just don't have much experience with short action cartridges. I've killed almost all my deer with the 30-06 and I've never had to track a deer down, I think luck has some play in it. Is the 7mm-08 a bit mild? Now I know the 6.5 is but its ballistic performance has me feeling confident it could be useful in a lot of hunting arenas. Where as I've always heard of the 7mm-08 being a "good beginner rifle caliber".

My main hunting rifle has always been a 30-06. I purchased a 7-08 last year because of a good deal and like the cartridge way better than i thought i would. It has become my favorite caliber for deer hunting.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Been doing some thinking today, might hold off awhile, going to great outdoor show this weekend so I'll be able to handle the Montana some along with others I've been interested in.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Been doing some thinking today, might hold off awhile, going to great outdoor show this weekend so I'll be able to handle the Montana some along with others I've been interested in.

It's always best to handle a rifle before you buy if at all possible.

MRC has the actions and safety you like,though they are even heavier than a Winchester.
http://montanarifleco.com/?page_id=12

I'm drawn to the LAW Professional rifles because I like the action and safety,though there are potential problems with them.

I think the Kimber Montana is likely the best option if you wanted a light weight with CRF and 3 position safety. I really like mine and would buy another even knowing I may have to do some work on it and bed it. I would even buy one knowing I might have to rebarrel if I got it at a good price.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Anybody know how stiff the recoil is on the Montana in a .270 or 7mm-08.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Anybody know how stiff the recoil is on the Montana in a .270 or 7mm-08.

I would say less that you might expect. My 7mm-08 is a pussycat. I could shoot my Sako 75 7mm-08 back to back with the same ammo as my Montana and the Montana would feel to have less recoil. The Montana is 2 lbs lighter than the Sako. It is a better stock design and better recoil pad than the Sako. I wouldn't be concerned about either caliber recoil wise,but the 7mm-08 would have less.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
So I'm imagining the .270 would be comparable to my .30-06 weatherby mark v synthetic black. Which is a topic I'll soon bring up because I want to restock it.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
For a general purpose rifle it is tough to beat the model 70 EW.

Last edited by BWalker; 02/01/18.
IC B3

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
If you frequen carry a tree stand or pack and a rifle at the same time, get the Montana. If you only carry a rifle in your hunting get the heavier Winchester. I love to hunt with my Montana 308 when I am carrying any other weight. But if I am just walking to a stand, I will often take a standard weight rifle.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by RatherBHuntin
If you frequen carry a tree stand or pack and a rifle at the same time, get the Montana. If you only carry a rifle in your hunting get the heavier Winchester. I love to hunt with my Montana 308 when I am carrying any other weight. But if I am just walking to a stand, I will often take a standard weight rifle.

It depends. I use my Montana as a walking around rifle. Shots with it will typically be short and fast. I like carrying it around a lot better than my heavier rifles. I'll never climb a mountain on a hunt but just these Appalachian foot hills make a light rifle easier on me.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Went to the GAOS today and got to hold a Montana in .22-250 felt nice but it didn't have the Bolt in it lol. Definitely shorter than I thought they were. Maybe the long action in .270 or .25-06 and take an inch off the barrel? Also, I really like the rough texture it had, do all montanas have this? Because I've seen pictures where they look kinda shiny and smoothed out.

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I would say most all the newer Montana's will have the grippier textured stocks but the older ones had the subdued finish. I like the rougher texture for what I do.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

640 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 007FJ, 160user, 67 invisible), 3,187 guests, and 1,360 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,752
Posts18,514,665
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.