-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just went thru this all myself...looked at all the 1/2 ton trucks to replace my Ram Power Wagon. Only one I didn’t consider was the Nissan...just to dam ugly.

I’ve owned a tundra before but couldn’t get by the crappy gas mileage that was about as bad as the 6.4 HEMI I was trying to get away from, plus the body on them is so poorly made and dents if you sneeze on it. The taco wasn’t much better really and reviews of them have slipped. The gmc and chev, I’ve owned both and not crazy about them anymore, they’ve fallen behind the times. I’ve never owned a Ford and did lots of reading on them and yes there are problems but they also sell almost 4x trucks when compared to Toyota. The new Gen 2 eco boost and the 10speed transmission has been getting great reviews. The gas mileage is about the best out there which was important. The aluminum body was a big plus to me since rust is a pet peeve of mine.

I ended up with a 2018 F150 Lariat super crew and love driving it. Lots of power and the 10 speed transmission is amazing.

Rob
GB1

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by harv3589
Just went thru this all myself...looked at all the 1/2 ton trucks to replace my Ram Power Wagon. Only one I didn’t consider was the Nissan...just to dam ugly.

I’ve owned a tundra before but couldn’t get by the crappy gas mileage that was about as bad as the 6.4 HEMI I was trying to get away from, plus the body on them is so poorly made and dents if you sneeze on it. The taco wasn’t much better really and reviews of them have slipped. The gmc and chev, I’ve owned both and not crazy about them anymore, they’ve fallen behind the times. I’ve never owned a Ford and did lots of reading on them and yes there are problems but they also sell almost 4x trucks when compared to Toyota. The new Gen 2 eco boost and the 10speed transmission has been getting great reviews. The gas mileage is about the best out there which was important. The aluminum body was a big plus to me since rust is a pet peeve of mine.

I ended up with a 2018 F150 Lariat super crew and love driving it. Lots of power and the 10 speed transmission is amazing.

What kind of fuel mileage you getting?

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
R
ribka Online Sleepy OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
R
Went on ford forum

Too many issues and problems with the eco boost engine

If did a Ford 150 would go with proven V 8 but i keep my trucks over 150 k and put on around 30 k a year and expect good performance off road

Last edited by ribka; 02/01/18.
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
500 miles is about right........He might have Got 500K out of it.......Never said he didn't!!!!!! but not with zero issues..... How many engines or rebuilds and transmissions rebuilds how many times did he rebuild the front end? Had to be at least 5 or 6 times........... He spent money on it to keeping it going......You said in your previous post zero issues....Now you say Minor issues.... Humm......

As far as 3.5 Ecoboost problems ...Lots of the 3.5s with 300 thousand trouble free miles...Google it....Ford sales more 3.5 Ecoboost F150s Than all other trucks combined...So naturally they will have a few problems......

By minor issues I meant minor. He had to put a heater core in it, and ball joints at 250K zero transmission or engine builds. I dont care what make or model you personally like, thats as good as your going to get with anything. Not sure what kind of miles guys put on where you live but up here its 100-miles just to get to town. A truck racks up miles in a hurry. Out in the oil patch there are a lot of trucks running with well over 200K miles without engine or transmission rebuilds, and a lot of them are Dodge rigs. Most of the hotshot companies run Dodges, although they do prefer the cummings, just because its a well known high milage engine.

No doubt there are some 3.5s out there that have been trouble free. There are also lots of those engines scattered all over the pavement...just google it. The service department where I bought mine told me that unlike other engines when the check engine light comes on in an ecoboost you better get it shut down quick. They said if you dont, theres a good chance you will be using a dust pan to pick up the pieces.They also told me they are doing about 1 ecoboost engine a week, usually its a timing chain issue.....total population of the Yukon is about 32000 people, so Im not buying Fords BS advertising...

There is a Toyota Tundra that reportedly went 1 million miles.....big write up in one of the truck magazines recently.

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My wife has a 2015 f150 with the 2.7 ecoboost with 36 gallon tank she gets 21 mpg over 700 mile driving range. I used two yrs ago to pull a 22 foot sled bed loaded with a 6x6 ranger and 4x4 ranger and a bed full of hunting gear. Avg 10-11 mpg and that truck didn’t miss a beat pulling the hills. That motor rated at 335 horsepower 385ft lbs of torque. I like the looks of the tundra but [bleep] my dodge 2500 with CTD gets better mileage than a tundra.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by yukon254
Originally Posted by KentuckyMountainMan
500 miles is about right........He might have Got 500K out of it.......Never said he didn't!!!!!! but not with zero issues..... How many engines or rebuilds and transmissions rebuilds how many times did he rebuild the front end? Had to be at least 5 or 6 times........... He spent money on it to keeping it going......You said in your previous post zero issues....Now you say Minor issues.... Humm......

As far as 3.5 Ecoboost problems ...Lots of the 3.5s with 300 thousand trouble free miles...Google it....Ford sales more 3.5 Ecoboost F150s Than all other trucks combined...So naturally they will have a few problems......

By minor issues I meant minor. He had to put a heater core in it, and ball joints at 250K zero transmission or engine builds. I dont care what make or model you personally like, thats as good as your going to get with anything. Not sure what kind of miles guys put on where you live but up here its 100-miles just to get to town. A truck racks up miles in a hurry. Out in the oil patch there are a lot of trucks running with well over 200K miles without engine or transmission rebuilds, and a lot of them are Dodge rigs. Most of the hotshot companies run Dodges, although they do prefer the cummings, just because its a well known high milage engine.

No doubt there are some 3.5s out there that have been trouble free. There are also lots of those engines scattered all over the pavement...just google it. The service department where I bought mine told me that unlike other engines when the check engine light comes on in an ecoboost you better get it shut down quick. They said if you dont, theres a good chance you will be using a dust pan to pick up the pieces.They also told me they are doing about 1 ecoboost engine a week, usually its a timing chain issue.....total population of the Yukon is about 32000 people, so Im not buying Fords BS advertising...

There is a Toyota Tundra that reportedly went 1 million miles.....big write up in one of the truck magazines recently.

I had probably one of the first Ford ecoboost in Alaska. 2011 with the 3.5 I had no issues with that truck. With that said I have several friends up here with 3.5 that had no issues as well. As of now from what I read the timing chain issue is with the 2011 3.5 which was the first yr of that motor in the f150.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by thin_man
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter

It was an issue and they stopped using it and then went back to it. As per their mechanic it serves more functions then just actuating the brakes. It was a [bleep] nightmare and to see a truck with 6500 miles with no answer from the Ford tech is beyond belief. My Tundra has 13k on it , It will get me thru retirement and probably with zero issues. It is a proven product.

Like I said there were 3 trucks bought back in the November thru April time period so you would lose your wager.

Your evidence is 3 trucks? How many 4wd F150's has Ford sold since 2004? What years between 2004 and now didn't use these systems? Thanks
The engine draws a vacuum and using check valves, it pulls in the IWE's to disengage the 4wd not the brakes. Pretty simple system.

KMM, I did help a friend diagnose a hub trying to engage on his 2005. It was a bad IWE but to be fair, it had just over 200k on the original part.

Edit to add. I'm not suggesting they are totally trouble free. Just that the majority are without issue. Sorry if I worded incorrectly. I do know, I've changed more GM hub assemblies than Ford and I've been around far more Ford 4wd's than GM. That is all.

Yep 3 trucks in that short a period from the same dealership. Every single item in the vacumn system was changed. if your IWE's do engage accidentally the hubs have to be inspected, cleaned and sometimes replaced. The Dealer had the phugging thing for 60 + days . You obviously know chitt about how that system works, your simplistic explanation won't cut it. I am not going to get into minute detail , there are plenty of instances of this happening on F150 IWE systems just google.

The vacumn system does more then just engage hubs like maybe brake booster and emissions. I don't recall three Tundras at the dealer being bought back because their IWE's stopped working. grin Look it up and I am not posting on this anymore since apparently it is a nonissue with Fraud owners even though the vehicle was bought back. On the plus side had I traded the POS in I would have lost 10K immediately per KBB.

V
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Originally Posted by ribka
Went on ford forum

Too many issues and problems with the eco boost engine

If did a Ford 150 would go with proven V 8 but i keep my trucks over 150 k and put on around 30 k a year and expect good performance off road

If you get the Tundra you are getting a dated truck but IMO, you have the best odds of getting the most reliable truck. However, all the 1/2 ton trucks/suvs (and 3/4 ton and up) seem to be pretty darn reliable as a whole.

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too."

--- General Nathan Bedford Forrest, CSA
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Ford is going to have a few more problems than others.....The are the most advanced Truck on the road.....All the other Manufactures will be playing catch up for years....While they kept turning out the same outdated trucks every year....Ford was spending Billions in research and development......If Tundra ever catches up I might buy one....Until then It is Ford for me...I just could not spend money on a outdated Truck..... One professional reviewer said it best!!!! the Tundra is old school 90s tech ....Which I can understand the appeal to some guys..But the styling just don't do it for me...It just looks Cartoonish....

Any one on a fence between Tundra and Ford should go get a new ford for a long term test drive and drive it to the Toyota Dealer and park them side by side and compare them...If you are scared of the Ecoboost buy the 5.0 hell of a motor and as reliable as the 5.7 Toyota motor and the same performance with great fuel economy ....

I rest my case..... Buy what turns your Crank wink

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If they do that comparison, then they'll end up in a post-12 Dodge Ram in the 1/2 ton segment.

IC B3

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Its a truck. Gas consumption should not be a consideration when buying.

If you want good mileage, but a civic.

That's what I did. 5.4L F150 is for hunting and taking momma out.

05 Accord is my commuting and work travel car. I drive enough reimbursable miles that I paid back what I had in it the first 9 months I owned it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Transmissions and engines blowing up before 100K? I think Fords are bad, Dodge is worse but even with my opinion, how in the hell do you blow up a transmission or an engine before 100K miles? Are they just mashing the gas pedal every time they take off?

I drive like an old man for the most part and knock on wood, I've never lost an engine or a transmission before 150K on any auto I've owned - and that includes the schitty german ones.

Speaking of gas consumption in a Truck, last episode of Top Gear - whatever its called now on Amazon, they talked about the Ford F150 and how many are sold in the United States - in a poll taken among truck owners, gas consumption was rated 27th on a list of priorities they had for purchasing a truck.

It would rate a bit higher with me but not much - a truck is a tool to me. I don't want a truck for a daily. I want it to tow, carry and go places a car can't. Taking it to the grocery store, airport, on vacation or a night out on the town is the last thing I want to do with it.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
I agree a guy shouldn't have any major issues before 100K especially when you consider the price they ask for new trucks now. Gas milage is a non issue for me. I want reliability. The Toyotas are clear winners in that category. They hold their value because of it. Over on trapperman they did a poll on the Toyota trucks and some of those guys had put some incredible high miles on multiple trucks. One thing I will give GMC is they are cheaper to fix than a Ford when they have a catastrophic failure.

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
If they do that comparison, then they'll end up in a post-12 Dodge Ram in the 1/2 ton segment.

That is some funny chit right there......... laugh I would buy the 90s tech Tundra first.....They should be somewhat reliable they have been using the same parts for 20 yrs.......Have you ever looked at a Tundra that was used as a work truck.....They flat out self destruct.....

Last edited by KentuckyMountainMan; 02/02/18.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Yep 3 trucks in that short a period from the same dealership. Every single item in the vacumn system was changed. if your IWE's do engage accidentally the hubs have to be inspected, cleaned and sometimes replaced. The Dealer had the phugging thing for 60 + days . You obviously know chitt about how that system works, your simplistic explanation won't cut it. I am not going to get into minute detail , there are plenty of instances of this happening on F150 IWE systems just google.

The vacumn system does more then just engage hubs like maybe brake booster and emissions. I don't recall three Tundras at the dealer being bought back because their IWE's stopped working. grin Look it up and I am not posting on this anymore since apparently it is a nonissue with Fraud owners even though the vehicle was bought back. On the plus side had I traded the POS in I would have lost 10K immediately per KBB.

Ford unfortunately a few years back went to vacumn hoses to actuate 4WD on their trucks.

November thru April time period so you would lose your wager. .

Unable to answer the questions presented. That figures. Still seems to think 3 trucks at one delearship, which is a very small fraction of 4wd F150's sold even at one dealer across a 6 month period qualifies as "most". You should've just said you have no idea what you're talking about. Only what some guys at a dealership told you. And yes, the vac system you mentioned for actuating 4WD is simple.

'Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.' -Carl Sagan

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukon254
I agree a guy shouldn't have any major issues before 100K especially when you consider the price they ask for new trucks now. Gas milage is a non issue for me. I want reliability. The Toyotas are clear winners in that category. They hold their value because of it. Over on trapperman they did a poll on the Toyota trucks and some of those guys had put some incredible high miles on multiple trucks. One thing I will give GMC is they are cheaper to fix than a Ford when they have a catastrophic failure.

That is all part of the Toyota warm and fuzzy fable I fell for for years. You go to the oil patch and look at all the trucks with 100,000 + miles on them that are only a couple years old and you’ll see what’s what. This scare tactic that a F series, Ram or GM won’t make it over 100,000 Miles is nonsense. The idea that motors and tranny’s all blow up on big 3 trucks before 100,000 miles is nonsense as well. I monitored the bigger f150 forums when I was shopping and in the rare case of true engine failures in a newer f150 8 or 9 times out of 10 it was a truck that had been tuned with some aftermarket bullshit that changed the parameters for timing, fuel or air. Plus those forums are mostly for two types of vehicle owners, the ones that want to modify something on their truck or the ones that want to bitch. The people that are happily chugging along driving their trucks don’t take time to post up positive experiences. The truth is that so many fewer Tundras are sold than Ford GM or Ram that it’s not really statistically fare to compare. Feel free to spend your money how you see fit but if a guy spent a few days with a Tundra and a few days with a newer F150 you’d have to convince yourself of the warm and fuzzy BS about Toyota’s lasting forever to buy the Tundra. Been there done that!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
everyone has an opinion, and you may be right - that there are so many F150's out there in comparison to Toyotas that nobody really notices the hundred of thousands of them that have 300K miles with little effort but there is a bunch of them that have problems after 150K or whatever the magic number is - head gaskets, seals, synchros, whatever - and for many people, the belief is you're not going to deal with that in getting to 300K in a Toyota.

It would be interesting to be able to compare data, but I doubt it exists so we deal with anecdotal evidence and the market place determining perceived value.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by TimberRunner
Its a truck. Gas consumption should not be a consideration when buying.

If you want good mileage, but a civic.

That's what I did. 5.4L F150 is for hunting and taking momma out.

05 Accord is my commuting and work travel car. I drive enough reimbursable miles that I paid back what I had in it the first 9 months I owned it.

laugh
What's acceptable to you? 2 mpg? After all, "it's a truck"...

I have a 40mpg civic in the garage next to my Toyota, and that truck gives me 20+ mpg.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree, I just know that 2 out of the 3 Tundras I had sustained major drive train repairs well before hitting the 30,000 mile mark so it’s not like the reputation for Toyota’s upheld for me on the Tundras. However my last Tacoma had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it and it never had a major repair.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by AlaskaCub
I agree, I just know that 2 out of the 3 Tundras I had sustained major drive train repairs well before hitting the 30,000 mile mark so it’s not like the reputation for Toyota’s upheld for me on the Tundras. However my last Tacoma had 160,000 miles on it when I sold it and it never had a major repair.

I can completely understand how you feel. I would feel the same way. We can only go by our own experiences. Mine has been bad with Ford, even though Im driving one now and havent had any problems the only reason I bought it is because I got a really good deal. I know guys with GMCs that have had great luck, but my son didnt, and another friend is fighting with the GM dealer because his new truck is guzzling oil. Back in the early 2000s I had a group of guys that came fishing with us every summer. They were engineers at Ford. They gave me an idea of how things work, and make no mistake, Ford expects to make money in their service departments. Im sure all manufacturers do. All I know is that where I live Toyota has a much better track record than anything else.

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

312 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 29aholic, 1Longbow, 1OntarioJim, 44 invisible), 3,133 guests, and 1,076 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,641
Posts18,533,608
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.