Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
I've found a TC G2 Contender carbine and have questions for those who may have experience with them. This one is a G2 carbine with fiber stock chambered in .30-30 Win. The frame and barrel are matte blue and the barrel has a muzzle break that looks like their factory brake but is much larger diameter than the barrel. The barrel is stamped with the TC custom shop logo. It has a Weaver one piece base on it and a hammer spur mounted. It is in mint shape and the shop is asking $469.00 for it. I'm considering this as a first deer rifle for my grandsons.

My questions are:

Is the muzzle break milled with the barrel or screwed on? Neither I or the shop owner can tell.

How is the price on this model as equipped?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
a very fair price. not a muzzle brake guy myself.

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
Neither am I. If the brake on it can't be taken off I'd seriously consider having it cut off and the barrel crowned.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Specialtypistols is your best friend here. Go over here and ask the same question they will have the answer!

Experience is what you get, when you don't get what you want!
S
SEM Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
if you cant remove the break contact me I may want the barrel and get you another with out easily, if you can remove it hunt with out the break,then use it at the range (helps keep the bench next to you clear)

Sunny

if you want change you have to put in your 2 cents, you can't just sit on the sidelines and whine
IC B2

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
I think the price is quite fair. You could likely part it out for more than the price of the complete rifle. G2's have good triggers too.

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I SUSPECt, but do not know for sure, that many of the "TC Custom Shop" barrels were actually made by MGM (Match Grade Machine) in Utah. (Does anyone actually KNOW if this is true???). You might look at their website and see if they offer muzzle brakes like the one on that gun.

The G2 variation of the Contender Carbine is one of my very favorite rifles. I have two with 4 different barrels. With a Lee Loader (still available in .30-30 last time I looked) you can make it everything from a .30-30 with modern pointed bullets to a .32 ACP!

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
MGM did some work with TC factory blanks, but it was after the factory closed down the custom shop.

a TC distributor purchased the remaining inventory of blanks, lugs, and parts; MGM finished those blanks & barrels, and chambered then to his specs.

If you see a barrel marked T/C MGM, it was likely one of those....built on a TC factory blank, but finished, chambered, contoured, by match grade machine. i'll get a pic of the stamping on those, i have about a dozen or so of those.

in regards to the brake removal....saw a couple of early carbines where someone had pulled the brake off; they were not threaded, appeared to be press fit/glued.

not sure if later production barrels went threaded or not.

price seems pretty reasonable to me.

============================================================

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Thanks for clearing up a mystery that has been buggin' me!

The MGM-marked ventilated rib on my .410 barrel is identical to the rib on an old Remington 870 .410 pump I have. Wonder if there's any relationship there, like using the same parts source? I also had a 28 guage barrel with a ventilated rib but just don't remember how it was marked--I sold it very quickly to somebody who wanted it 'way more than I did.

Was Mike Armstrong. Got logged off; couldn't log back on. RE-registered my old call sign, Mesa.
FNG. Again.
Mike Armstrong
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
The price is OK.

In an Encore barrel I have with a factory brake; the brake is screwed on and I assume the factory did it the same way with Contender barrels. I have never removed the brake from a Contender barrel.

I had a braked 30/30 Contender barrel a long time ago and it did have a brake of larger diameter than the barrel.

IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
OP Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
After reading all the replies I went back to check it out again. I just couldn't work up enough wanting it to put down my money. Doesn't help to have bought 2 Encores this month.

A forum member sent me a PM wanting a shot at it if I didn't take it. I've passed on the info to him. Thanks for your help.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Wonder what the thread pitch is? If 5/8-24 then you can screw a suppressor (silencer) on it. I wouldn't cut the threads off.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I don't know about the newer Contender barrels but the two older ones that I have with factory brakes are not threaded.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

631 members (10gaugemag, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 64 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,060
Posts18,501,211
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.