Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#12606893 02/03/18
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've seen some decent deals on FN SPRs so I'm considering one for the basis of a hunting rifle build. I'm really only interested in the action but have a few questions. Hoping some knowledgeable folks will educate me...

1. Do all the SPRs come with the pre-64 style trigger or do some have the MOA triggers?
2. Are the receivers trued from the factory on all of them?
3. If I wanted to convert the detachable box magazine to a traditional or blind magazine, would that be possible?
4. Are the factory scope bases Badger Ordnance?
5. Any thoughts on what price the stock might fetch (McMillan A4)? and barrel (may keep the barrel)? Assuming both are new.

Was originally thinking of starting with a Model 70, since they're cheaper but like the idea of getting the old style trigger, a trued action, and nice base. If the other components could be sold for some decent cash, it doesn't seem to be a bad way to go.

GB1

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Copper I have a SPR A1 that I bought new in 2006 or 2007. The only thing I did to it was stone the trigger a little. Other than that I mounted a Burris 3x10x50 scope on weaver rings.

The rifle is a true .5 MOA all day long 5 shot grouper. My best ever 5 shot group has been .247 or something very close ( don't have the pics on my phone). I believe the actions were trued. I know 2 other gentlemen who have them and they also report similar accuracy.

IMO it would be a superb action for a hunting rifle. The only change I wish on mine was I wish I would have bought the floor plate version instead of the DBM.

The SPR's also have the old trigger.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
The question is, do you really need the chrome lined barrel? I personally would buy the PBR XP instead. I'm assuming you are still looking for that 300WSM? I also had a PBR that shot every bit as good as an SPR. If you are looking for just an action to build off of anyway, this would be the cheaper route. They also make the PBR with the floor plate. Beware though, they had different versions with pushfeed, DBM, short barrel, etc.... I have my eye on a 308 PBR here locally, for $650.00, but the seller would probably go down a little on his price...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have had a couple SPRs, and still have 2 - exceptional rifles;

Not an expert but I believe:
1. SPRs all had the original style trigger
2. SPRs were advertised as trued (which means different things to different people)
3. yes, I have switched bottom metal
4. I had 1 that was Badger steel, and 2 that were another manufacturer in Titanium ( A3G)
5. Depends - the A4 isn't used as much in matches anymore, the A5 is...

Instead of buying and parting an SPR out, have you considered just the action? There were a bunch of SPR bare actions sold (SPR action, bolt, and standard bottom metal) that still show up for sale...

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks guys, very helpful! To answer a few questions... yep, I'm considering this for the 300 WSM build and nope, I don't need the chromed barrel. In fact, I don't even want the heavy barrel. I'd like to put a sporter or light varmint contour on it. And yep, I've noticed that some of the PBRs are push feed...I'm looking for CRF.

Definitely considering the PBR or action only option (if I could find one) but looking at the SPR only because I think I might have a bead on a good local deal. The gun is basically brand new and I think I could pick it up for $1,600. I don't think that would be a bad route if I could part out the stock and barrel to recoup some of the cost.

I guess the PBR is no longer in production. How often do you guys who have been watching, see them come up on the market in like new condition? I'd prefer to start with a new set of bones but might consider used.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Copper,
I am a huge fan of SPRs, but for a 300WSM build with different barrel & stock then I would look at one of the used PBR controlled round feed versions to save some money.

If I am changing everything out, then I personally don't need to start with new parts. A used PBR CRF on gunbroker for $700 would probable be a good start.

The way I look at it, you could have a PBR trued etc at time of rebarrel if that is necessary and still be way ahead over parting a $1,600 rifle.

Just my opinion,

Tim

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Were the PBRs advertised as trued actions? Or is that just an SPR thing. Not overly concerned but would like to know what bells and whistles I'm getting with each.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Copperking, I've been following your threads on wanting to build a good 300WSM with the model 70 CRF and oldstyle trigger. I found this little gem on GB that I thought you might be interested. The only thing about this rifle is it would take away half the fun of building your own. By the looks of this one, it's ready to rock and roll, just the way it is. Good shooter too. I'd leave it just the way it is, that stock isn't cheap either..:

Model 70 classic 300 WSM

There's only 4 hrs left in the auction though. I'd probably just hit the buy it now button, if I were in the market for a good 300WSM...

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Copperking, I've been following your threads on wanting to build a good 300WSM with the model 70 CRF and oldstyle trigger. I found this little gem on GB that I thought you might be interested. The only thing about this rifle is it would take away half the fun of building your own. By the looks of this one, it's ready to rock and roll, just the way it is. Good shooter too. I'd leave it just the way it is, that stock isn't cheap either..:

Model 70 classic 300 WSM

There's only 4 hrs left in the auction though. I'd probably just hit the buy it now button, if I were in the market for a good 300WSM...

That's a good un right there! You're getting a lot for the money.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
That's a nice one for sure BSA and thanks for the lead... I actually already had that one tagged on my watchlist!

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger. There are a handful of rifles I'm looking at and I haven't yet convinced myself which one I want just yet.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by copperking81
Were the PBRs advertised as trued actions? Or is that just an SPR thing.

as far as I know, just SPRs were advertised as 'trued' actions.

Tim

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by copperking81
That's a nice one for sure BSA and thanks for the lead... I actually already had that one tagged on my watchlist!

I'm not quite ready to pull the trigger. There are a handful of rifles I'm looking at and I haven't yet convinced myself which one I want just yet.

LOL, I wonder how many of us watch the same rifles. I ended up buying a much cheaper WSM (just for the action) for my build be was real closing to buying that one. FWIW, traded a few messages with the seller and the stock on that came of a Montana Rifle.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Oh, I'm sure a lot of us are watching the same rifles. I'm actually watching an odd duck pre 64 on GB right now. I'm not going to say what it is because I don't want anyone else to bid on it... Ha ha..

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Are you guys talking about a different generation of the old FN-SP1 308?

Trump Won!
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I bought an SPR action back when they were selling just actions. Think I bought it from CDNN.
Mine came with the old trigger, one piece floor plate and Near steel 20moa pic base. It was true.
Built a 7wsm on it.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Gunner, when was the sp1 made? I'm assuming it was also built from the CRF model 70 action? The SPR is a special police rifle with a chrome lined barrel. I believe they guaranteed 1/2 moa. 5 shot groups with the SPR. The FN PBR XP is a Police bolt rifle with extra precision (XP). The PBR was said to be used by some SWAT teams. It did not have the same accuracy guarantee as the SPR and it also didn't have a chrome lined barrel. It also wore a hogue rubberized stock. However, they shot lights out. The one I had, I used in local centerfire matches. The trigger was so damn sweet I still miss that rifle. I ended up selling that rifle to Roger AKA gunnut308 here. That was a shooting SOB. I've posted many sub moa 10 shot groups with that rifle... If I still had a photobucket account, I'd share some more photos. Even though the PBR is half the price of the SPR, it shouldn't be discounted in the accuracy dept. They are known shooters.

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Gunner, when was the sp1 made? I'm assuming it was also built from the CRF model 70 action? The SPR is a special police rifle with a chrome lined barrel. I believe they guaranteed 1/2 moa. 5 shot groups with the SPR. The FN PBR XP is a Police bolt rifle with extra precision (XP). The PBR was said to be used by some SWAT teams. It did not have the same accuracy guarantee as the SPR and it also didn't have a chrome lined barrel. It also wore a hogue rubberized stock. However, they shot lights out. The one I had, I used in local centerfire matches. The trigger was so damn sweet I still miss that rifle. I ended up selling that rifle to Roger AKA gunnut308 here. That was a shooting SOB. I've posted many sub moa 10 shot groups with that rifle... If I still had a photobucket account, I'd share some more photos. Even though the PBR is half the price of the SPR, it shouldn't be discounted in the accuracy dept. They are known shooters.

I can't remember exactly when BSA, a Bud back in the day [1991?] brought over a brand new traveling kit he just bought, it was 10 grand delivered, IIRC it was FN built on a push feed M-70 action with a DBM, solid black rifle with all the bels and whistles.

We went to my bench, I do remember him punching out one ragged hole after another with factory Federal ammo with the little 168 gr Sierra NMBTHP's.

Bet you do miss your old 308 hole puncher, IIRC buds rifle wore a McMillan stock.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by gunner500

I can't remember exactly when BSA, a Bud back in the day [1991?] brought over a brand new traveling kit he just bought, it was 10 grand delivered, IIRC it was FN built on a push feed M-70 action with a DBM, solid black rifle with all the bels and whistles.

We went to my bench, I do remember him punching out one ragged hole after another with factory Federal ammo with the little 168 gr Sierra NMBTHP's.

Bet you do miss your old 308 hole puncher, IIRC buds rifle wore a McMillan stock.

I wouldn't have missed it, had it been a 308 grin. Mine was a 300WSM...

BSA MAGA
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
LOL, 10-4 Buddy ;]

Trump Won!
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Just purchased a new, unfired PBR XP in 300 WSM. Can't wait to get my hands on it and give it run. Thanks to everyone who helped me with the decision!

Now... I need some good loads and probably stock recommendations!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (10gaugeman, 1234, 2500HD, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 10gaugemag, 55 invisible), 3,761 guests, and 1,386 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,700
Posts18,534,642
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.