-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Wow. 11 years. Neat seeing some old names and reading some the posts.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
GB1

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Originally Posted by jpb
Originally Posted by ROE_DEER
Forget all the myth about barrel making.

Just take a hammer forged barrel out of the box, shoot and enjoy.

Well, just to play Devil's Advocate a bit... smile

Unless you are interested in benchrest accuracy... (I don't happen to be interested in .01 inch differences that make the benchrest game, but there is a reason hammer-forged barrels don't dominate benchrest competition.

Unless you want a custom twist not readily available in a hammer-forged barrel (which I did: standard twists in .35 cal are slower than what I wanted)

Unless you want a bore-size a little larger or tighter than standard (I specified a slightly tighter bore to let me better shoot .357 handgun bullets better in my .358 Norma Mag -- I like shooting big bores for practice, but cheaply! smile

Unless you find available hammer-forged barrels too heavy in contour. Hammer-forged barrels often don't take kindly to being turned down to a lighter contour for a custom rifle -- the residual stresses from the forging sometimes causing problems. In contrast, cut rifled barrels can be turned down quite drastically...

All joshing aside, I totally agree that there is a lot of "mythconceptions" among hunters regarding barrels, and I do agree that hammer-forged barrels are certainly accurate enough for virtually all hunting applications, but they are "one size fits all".

Part of the satisfaction of having a custom rifle is having it exactly the way you want it -- including the inside of the bore! smile Neither forged, nor button-rifled bores offer the flexibility that a cut-rifled barrel maker can offer. Sako hammer-forged barrels are readily available (at least here in Sweden!) and great value because they often shoot extremely well, but they don't offer much flexibility.

Having said all that, I must admit that most of my past and present rifles had forged barrels and shoot better than I can in any hunting condition...

Of course, if I had any common sense I'd just shoot a factory rifle with its factory barrel and never spend any money on a custom rifle anyway! smile

^^^^^^
I agree with you,although I have rifles with cut rifled barrels my latest acquisition is Tikka in 6.5 Creedmore .Before I shot it I cleaned the barrel and scoped it.It looked as good as any new Cut rifled barrel I have owned.I was more than pleasantly surprised.I cleaned it because I now Dyna bore coat all my rifle barrels.(Yes it really does work and is that good!!!)This is a most interesting thread,Huntz

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Although Henrik originally posted the data in 2007, I wonder if there is more recent data available? Interesting to see the trends.

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
Old thread!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yes, an old thread, but, a lot of insightful info from Henrik on Swedish hunting and cartridge choices. He needs to post some more. After his and others posting in '07, it gave me a better appreciation of my 7x57. Not that it was mentioned a lot, but, you know, just because.

Last edited by rifletom; 02/05/18.
IC B2

Campfire Savant
Online Content
Campfire Savant
I like old threads.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (17Fan, 10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 160user, 12344mag, 1badf350, 67 invisible), 2,371 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,318
Posts18,487,346
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.