Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I was able to handle the Ruger RAR predator model in 6.5 Creed "for the first time" yesterday in my local gun shop with the green stock, in the right-hand action of course. My concern was the diameter of the barrel as being too heavy as compared to a true sporter weight barrel, the barrel diameter and weight I can live with. I just desire to have any heavy rifles any longer.

The RAR is an economy rifle the factory cost savings in understandably in the stock, yet the stock is fully functional for the rifle's price point. I felt the stock SUCKED. Some stock maker eventually has to introduce a higher quality synthetic stock for the RAR rifle with the thousands and thousands of Ruger RAR rifles being produced. When this stock comes along the stock will likely have right-hand bolt cut yet that can be easily remedied with a Dremel tool.

I am wanting a for a new rifle for my lefty son,, ( we are both left-handed) when he gets the itch for a lefty 6.5 Creedmoor a few years from now the present lefty rifles being made will be $1,000.00 to whatever $$ on GUNBROKER. Do the Winchester left hand "Model 70's" ring a bell. Back in the late 90's you could have bought all the lefty model 70's in any caliber from LEFT HAND LARRY in Minnesota for $550.00 each. I think Left Hand Larry bought every left hand M-70 Winchester had when Winchester discontinued them.

Sorry for the rant. I should likely just wait for a Tikka T3X in 6.5 Creed.

GB1

G
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
G
Boyd's offers a true LH stock for the Ruger American in short action. They only offer it in RH for the Predator, even if it is a left hand stock. I have contemplated getting the regular Ruger American stock and then opening up the barrel channel for my LH Predator. Just haven't got around to pull the trigger on the stock yet...

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Bought this stock from Boyds

Originally Posted by tmitch
Not sure I can answer all your questions, would be best to call them. It only says it's for a Predator..... wasn't that only in a short action? I think all Boyds American stocks come with a TG. The cheek piece is on the right side for a left hand shooter. (Pic of the stock below)

[Linked Image]

This is the description that's on the bottom of the page if you were to spec an identical one out.

PRAIRIE HUNTER, RUGER ACF PREDATOR, LEFT HAND STOCK, RIGHT HAND ACTION, SHORT ACTION, DETACHABLE BOX MAGAZINE, FACTORY BARREL CHANNEL Barrel Dimensions: Point A = 1 1/64" and Point B = 3/4" Center to Center of Action Screws: 4 3/64" Over All Length of Part: 31 1/2" Comes with Boyds' 1/2" Rubber Recoil Pad. It is your responsibility to confirm the dimensions of your firearm with the supplied dimensions of our part. ATTENTION CUSTOMERS : We will provide the front and rear lugs, front and rear takedown screws, triggerguard with screw, and the front magazine tab catch. Boyds Gunstocks recommends bedding the front and rear lugs.. All finished parts have been CNC inlet to Boyds' House Action.

Bought this stock installed it on my Xtra RH 6.5 Cr Moor RAR it was not a drop in fit needed a little work, some shims to get mag latch to work,Mag was tight needed some relief. Will post pics later.

Was shipped to me for $29.04 could not get a hold of Boyds to confirm where it was shipped to or price.

Would like to order a true LH RAR SA Predator stock does any one have a link ?
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/08/18.

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Fitted it to my LH RAR Predator cut new bolt inlet, relieved RH inside of stock for safety arm and mechanism. Filled in RH bolt cutout. Bedded metal to stock has Y shaped metal bedding blocks, Boyd,s recommended bedding them to stock. Heavy pig now 9 # 12 ounces!!

Needs some clean up where I filled previous RH bolt cut out!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/09/18.

kk alaska

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
KK, what is the provided trigger guard like?

'Four legs good, two legs baaaad."
----------------------------------------------
"Jimmy, some of it's magic,
Some of it's tragic,
But I had a good life all the way."
(Jimmy Buffett)

SotG
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Looks like molded plastic, was skeptical but did not break when action was torqued to 30 inch pounds. Wish it was not such a pig! Kurt

Weighed my RH RAR 6.5 Cr Moor with a Redfield Revolution 3 X 9 fact stock. 7# 12 ounces 2# lighter than the LH with 6 X 42 SWFA!

Last edited by kk alaska; 02/10/18.

kk alaska

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
That's really heavy. Has anyone done any work with the "synthetic concrete filler" for lack of a better word that comes in a tube in an effort to firm up the forearm?

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
B
Guy, what's the story on the extended detachable magazines on some of the right hand models? It looks like an AI DBM but I cant find any info on it, or any left hand models offering it.

https://ruger.com/products/americanRifleGoWild/models.html

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by OSU_Sig
I picked up a LH Predator also and would be interested in looking at stock alternatives.

Me, too.

Slaves get what they need. Free men get what they want.

Rehabilitation is way overrated.

Orwell wasn't wrong.

GOA member
disappointed NRA member

24HCF SEARCH
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,473 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,446
Posts18,470,969
Members73,934
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.