-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have a universal Gunbearer on a Tenzing pack and it works great, love it. Hope to upgrade and have a Seek Outside Peregrine to put it on this fall....

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Kifaru gun bearer that you're welcome to try out if you like. At just $31 from Kifaru it may not be worth your time to take mine and pay to ship it back. Offer stands though.

It's the older style but should work and function the same as a new one.

They're definitely not for me, but I plan on giving them one more shot this fall. Haven't found anything I can like better than either in my hands or strapped to my pack.

Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by cwh2
As a counterpoint, I can't like the gunbearer.

I run the Stone Glacier system on my stone glacier, and the barney's system on my barneys pack. Neither allows for the quick deployment of the rifle that the Kifaru system does. Neither has dropped my rifle muzzle down into the rocks as the Kifaru system has.

I have a sling on my rifles, and I'll carry them with the sling (or with my hands) when I think I'm going to need them. Otherwise, it takes me 3 seconds to get the rifle off the pack and that's just a price I pay.

The sling guys need to look into the Frankenstud Sling Keeper

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I use Slingsavers on both pack straps so I can switch if needed. They work well and cost $9 each. I borrowed a friend's Gun Bearer and duplicated it to see if I liked it. I used it for one season but didn't like it as well as the Slingsavers. Personal preference.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Rock Chuck; 02/10/18.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Made in the USA from 6061 Aluminum and held in place with a single stainless steel screw
The Frankenstud Sling Keeper tips the scale at just under one ounce.

Gray bead blasted aluminum units are $40 each shipped

Tan or Olive powdercoated units are $45 each shipped

www.paypal.me/frankenstud

Lifetime replacement guarantee. If you ever break your Frankenstud Sling Keeper I will replace it free of charge no questions asked

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[/quote]

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tedthorn

Lifetime replacement guarantee. If you ever break your Frankenstud Sling Keeper I will replace it free of charge no questions asked

Ted, be careful, you saw what happened to LL Bean.......

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I've used the Kifaru, the Slingsaver, and the Frankenstud. I now prefer the Frankenstud. Kifaru is second, but I like to have a shooting sling on my rifle and it hangs down, gets caught, is cumbersome with the Kifaru. Frankenstud solves this problem and there is less fiddle time putting the rifle on. Sling saver was OK but the velcro attachment system is ill conceived. Velcro edges rub against t shirt, skin, etc. I ended up putting duct tape over mine till the Frankenstud came along. I can't imagine how I could ever break a Frankenstud and need the warranty...but I am well known for breaking things so we will see.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I’m a big fan of the Gunbearer, I’ve been using one now for over ten years. I use it on my big pack and on my day pack, I actually don’t even keep slings on my hunting rifle anymore. I did make a simple modification to it that makes it better for me. I sewed an adjustable strap onto the back of the harness that holds the butstock. The strap has a D-ring on the other end and an adjustment buckle in the middle. I take the pack shoulder strap out of it’s adjustable buckle and thread the shoulder strap through the D-ring. Slide the D-ring down the strap to where it attaches to the waist belt and put the pack shoulder strap back together. With the rifle in the gunbearer, I can reach down behind it and adjust the tension on the strap to control the rifle position better. Makes a big difference and is a simple modification.

https://imgur.com/a/9zVSD

Last edited by mod7rem; 02/17/18.
V
Vek Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
V
Gunbearer is great if quick access is only needed during daytime and the hunting locale is the sterile rocky mountain west. During the pre-dawn hike up the hill west of Yellowstone, glare from your headlamp off the barrel is quite bothersome, but there lurks a griz behind every tree. If I'm bashing alder, I want it hard-strapped to my pack with the butt in the water bottle pocket, which not all "hunting" packs have (Dana FTW). And, if you have any sort of lats, you'll have bruised armpits from use.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Jerry, I've used mine in soaking conditions bashing alders for the last 3 years and can't really say I've had any of those problems. I hate having my barrel above my head while going through alders or brush.

I do agree that the headlamp shining off of a stainless barrel can be a pain in the butt!

Tanner

IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
When using the Gunbearer is it tough to glass short range/free hand with bino's?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no, because you can pull the barrel up and use it as a rest....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC
When using the Gunbearer is it tough to glass short range/free hand with bino's?

Not at all, for me. Both hands are free and clear to glass.

Tanner

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'm not a gear junky, so don't have any recommendations for you other than TedThorn's sling keeper deal, but there are other options out there.

The Kifaru gun bearer has a loyal following, but here are two others:

Mystery Ranch Quick Draw rifle sling
[Linked Image]

Vorn equipment, but this may require the use of their entire pack...not sure.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Don’t feel too obligated to get something to carry your rifle. I use these things on the end of arms until the Pack out - and then either keep using those same deals or else strap the rifle to my Pack. In terrain such that it requires more than 3 points of contact, I have as yet been unable to rapidly or effectively employ a rifle no matter the insistent nature of the situation so again- i just strap it to the Pack. On a trip the rifle is in my hands for approximately 75 percent of The time I’m awake. Only Being replaced by food or binos tree limbs or other handholds typically. I always feel like I’m going to get yelled at if I sling a rifle- Also it’s an image thing for me- I hate the look of a rifle carried in a carrier or slung over a shoulder, whatever. It looks lazy, haphazard, and most of all NOT READY. If I find myself slinging my rifle while I walk I remove the sling. It only takes a few minutes for me if walking around with a slung rifle before that’s what I’m doing. Wandering around in nature, purposeless. Hapless overwhelmed and amazed at my surroundings. Havin that rifle in your hand keeps your edge makes you aware your a hunter trying to be a killer keeps your eyes and your ears sharp. Especially if you’re solo a couple days in starting to feel small in the world, all that. That rifle keeps you in dischord with nature, keeps you from falling too deep enthrall. When I’m hunting it’s not about communing with nature- it’s about extracting from it forcibly what I need. The rifle in your hand helps you fake the funk on day 5 without having seen hide not hair. It’s strong medicine

Last edited by 175rltw; 02/19/18.
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
The Vorn set up with the rifle between the pack and your back looks like a no-go right off the bat to me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think there's a lot of padding between the frame and the rest of the pack, so your scope shouldn't get knocked around much, if that's what you're getting at. It looks like the hooks that release allowing the rifle to be free would get tangled with a sling every time. Not for me either, but the system may be an option for others.

I have zero clue if this system can be applied to other packs, or if the Vorn packs themselves are of any quality.

J
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
J
I bought the Kifaru, but didn't like how the holster hung up around the butt when trying to pull it out at different angles. I replaced the Kifaru sling holster with a $5 home depot nail bag pouch, which I slide over my pack's hip belt.

Works much smoother in a quick-draw.

down-side;
- nail pouch is several ounces heavier (but offer padding when taking a tumble)
- nail pouch slid over backpack belt limits access to belt pocket.

I also ultimately replaced the Kifaru top strap, (which just loops around the barrel and forearm), with a 1" webbing quick-release buckle, one half of the buckle is anchored to the front sling eye with an Uncle-mikes sling loop, other half to pack's shoulder strap gear loop. Easier to work with gloved hands.

Last edited by JeffG; 02/19/18.

"...One Nation under God, indivisible, with Liberty and Justice for All"

JeffG
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Tinman, what I meat was, with a loaded pack a rifle in that position would have to be uncomfortable at best.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ah, I see. I think the frame of the pack would keep any bulkiness or sharp edges from jabbing into the wearer's back, whether that be part of the load or the rifle. The Kifaru and Mystery Ranch as well as others are designed to put meat directly between the pack and the frame too, so bones and whatever else could jab a guy in the back, but folks seem to like those packs. The frame between the wearer's back and the load seems to be the constant factor.

Doesn't matter to me though as a quick glance at reviews of the Vorn pack are generally poor. It was more the fact that more rifle bearer options are available that made me post it.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

355 members (160user, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1lesfox, 10ring1, 12344mag, 34 invisible), 2,111 guests, and 1,087 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,898
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.