Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
,..where I belong,..

,...gotta figure out who to contact. From what I understand, the hole is free if you're a descendant.

https://www.findagrave.com/cemetery/1610954/memorial-search?page=1#sr-46690544

GB4

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Cornwall bunch is here,...4th great grandmother,...

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/6817234/harriet-l-harrison

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hopefully you're not feeling your mortality just yet. You need to write a book first.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
So ... Where did they bury the rest of you?

<> https://www.fugly.com//media/IMAGES/Random/hiscock_tombstone.jpg <>

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Fireball2
Hopefully you're not feeling your mortality just yet. You need to write a book first.

No,...just digging around ancestry.com last night,....found where some of my first American ancestors were buried and traced how my linage descended from them,...pretty interesting to me.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Looks like a pretty exclusive neighborhood.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
This is where I'm getting buried.

[Linked Image]

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Hmmmm..be like,..so Adolf, given away at birth, was my uncle? 😳 😀

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
Looks like a pretty exclusive neighborhood.

No,...it's in a field surrounded by farmland not far from where I grew up. Until a few years ago it was overgrown with trees and underbrush and many people didn't even realize it was there.

Recently, some distant relatives of mine cleaned it up, stood up the headstones which had fallen over and purchased a replacement headstone for one of the matriarchs of the family who settled in McCracken County, Ky.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
I knew of the place,...visited it once when I was a young kid. But I didn't realize the significance of it to my ancestry.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
That must be where you got your "Adventurous" younger years from.

Paul

"I'd rather see a sermon than hear a sermon".... D.A.D.

Trump Won!, Sandmann Won!, Rittenhouse Won!, Suck it Liberal Fuuktards.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana

No,...it's in a field surrounded by farmland not far from where I grew up.

I was speaking metaphorically, in a complimentary sense.

"...if the gentlemen of Virginia shall send us a dozen of their sons, we would take great care in their education, instruct them in all we know, and make men of them." Canasatego 1744
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Birdwatcher

No,...it's in a field surrounded by farmland not far from where I grew up.

I was speaking metaphorically, in a complimentary sense.

Well,...it wouldn't seem all that exclusive if the family had continued using it. I have *many* other (more recent) family members who are buried in various church cemeteries around there. It makes me wonder why they stopped using it. Maybe because the land around it got sold. The people who own the land surrounding it are old family friends of mine and it was their son who showed it to me way back when we were both kids. I suppose the reason it became overgrown and turned into a grove of trees was because the various owners over the years didn't use it as farmland in deference to the cemetery. From what I understand, those distant relatives of mine who cleaned the place up have also made a small road/path leading back to it and they're now using it again.

I'm going to drive back down there and check it out when the weather improves. It's about 250 miles west of here.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 12344mag
This is where I'm getting buried.

[Linked Image]

Simpatico

[Linked Image]

"Maybe we're all happy."

"Go to the sporting goods store. From the files, obtain form 4473. These will contain descriptions of weapons and lists of private ownership."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I did a little work and found the grave yard where my great, great grandfather is buried. Found on the internet anyway.

Near a little town called Laconia, just north of the Ohio in Indiana.

A pile of the Conrads ended up there. Came over from Pennsylvania I believe.

Great Grand dad didnt like it I guess and decided to homestead up here.

Fun Fact: Great, great granddad was married to a Brandenburg. Her uncle founded the town Brandenburg, Kentucky.

I am MAGA.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Most of my direct kin are buried in Spring Grove, 2nd largest cemetery in the world. We're all up on a hill overlooking where they plant the Williams clan-- largest group of Gypsies in the US. The funerals down there make for an awesome floorshow. My buddy, John, is there too. He's planted with the rest of his clan-- came down on a flatboat and were one of the first one in at Losantiville. Besides being huge, there's a Civil War graveyard there that has more Union generals than anywhere else. My first wife, Satan, is due to be buried there. I plan on making sure grass never grows on her grave.

Spring Grove

Most of my Mom's clan going back a few generations fertilized a couple of large cemeteries around Cleveland, Ohio. I have visited them a few times, and I have no desire to spend eternity in Cleveland.

I have left orders that my body be donated for obscene practical jokes by first-year med students, and whatever is left be mulched into large, recognizable chunks and be used for erosion control. KYHillChick wants to be airmailed off the overlook that looks over Devil's Jump and Mine 18.

[Linked Image]

Her daddy is in this picture. Doc's widow donated the pic for the mural at the visitor's center. We've got the original.

Here's a pic of Devil's Jump, just up-river from Mine 18.

[Linked Image]

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I have kin buried in lots of places, the oldest one is in Queens and is now a designated landmark, not sure I would want to be buried there even if they allowed it.

http://forgotten-ny.com/2013/01/brinckerhoff-cemetery-fresh-meadows/

https://www.brownstoner.com/queens/...clared-landmark-in-fresh-meadows-queens/

"Facts are stubborn things; and whatever may be our wishes, our inclinations, or the dictates of our passion, they cannot alter the state of facts and evidence". John Adams

"A dishonest man can always be trusted to be dishonest". Captain Jack Sparrow
B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad

Fun Fact: Great, great granddad was married to a Brandenburg. Her uncle founded the town Brandenburg, Kentucky.

It's interesting to learn of how many linages trace back to Kentucky. Texas has quite a few families that can trace their linage to Kentucky from a long time ago. Michigan has a *lot* of families who moved there for work after the second world war. I have family in both states.

In Hell I Was There, Elmer Keith states that his grandparents are from Cynthiana, Kentucky, which is next door to where I'm living now.

It seems as if after Daniel Boone blazed a trail through The Cumberland Gap, people began moving west through it and would stay in Kentucky for a generation,...maybe two,..then move further west. The Cumberland Gap was one of the primary paths across the Appalachian Mountains and it just happened to be in Kentucky, so it caused a lot of people to flow into the state,..for a while, anyway.

B
Bristoe Offline OP
Campfire Oracle
OP Offline
Campfire Oracle
B
Also,..quite a few people crossed the Mountains prior to the establishment of the Cumberland Gap. In Night Comes to the Cumberlands, author Harry Caudill mentionsa census expedition funded by Congress shortly after the Revolution that found people of European ancestry living 200 miles west of the known western expansion,..and they had been there for generations.

I bet that was interesting. To be 200 miles west the known expansion and still coming across these people who had lived there for generations totally isolated from the rest of the country.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

636 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12savage, 66 invisible), 2,212 guests, and 1,344 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,915
Posts18,479,632
Members73,947
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.