Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Tarkio

You engage the guy. He fires back and kills the young girl who was frozen with fear and didn't leave.

So, now, her blood is on whose hands? Reality is, you have just escalated a situation and that escalation resulted in an innocent dying. Think you aren't in for a crapload of trouble? Legal, financial and mental?

That's on him, and he escalated the situation by producing a gun. You're making an assumption that he wouldn't have fired the gun regardless of anything you did. If a bad guy produces a gun, I'm sure as hell not going to wait for him to fire first. With that said, It IS my responsibility to make sure that I have a clear line of sight to him and beyond him.

In the situation you describe, he's the one in "a crapload of trouble". We can play this game all day long. What if you didn't fire and someone startled him and he fires shooting an innocent and you didn't take him out before he did so? What if he just decides to start shooting? What if he trips and the gun goes off and hits an innocent?

Truth is, you can arm-chair QB it all you want with what if this and what if that. Yes, there are things that could happen as a result of you shooting first just as much as there could be for not shooting first. What can a reasonable person do in that situation to stop the threat? Have you been training? Do you have a clear line of sight? Are you in a position to do something? I train and prepare so that if I'm in that situation, I'm as prepared as possible to stop it. Once my family is safe, and I'm able to do something about it, I will. That's just me. There could just as easily be a situation where I can't do anything about it.

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
GB1

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
In Oklahoma we are only legal to defend ourselves and family outside of our homes and business, we are not cops.

And since we put a business owner in prison for life for coming back inside his pharmacy after shooting the armed robber, finding him moving and shooting him again, I'll keep my family safe and let the cops do their thing.

Now if I'm in a situation where I'm the only one who could prevent the loss of innocent life, I would have to respond the best I could but make no mistake, once my family and I were safe and I chose to go back into harms way, the DA is the one who will decide where I retire to...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The way the law is written in Kalifornia you'd have a right to defend. I wouldn't because it's not interpreted the way it's written. Besides, if some Johnny-come-lately gunslinger shows up, YOU could be mistaken for the bad guy. Money is just "things". No life endangered till the lead starts flying.

Used to be bobski, member since '01
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by TWR
He couldn't get his safety off or forgot he didn't have a round in the chamber.... hmmm.

Here I have the right to defend myself and my family. Going back to engage him after retreating to a safer area could go either way.

does coyotehunter live in Wisconsin?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Probably not, but I live there and I've seen it too many times where the good guy engages the bad guy and they get accolades on Facebook and Craigslist, but is fired if they work there. That guy in the video is taking a heck of a chance ramping up the situation not only for himself, but all the people behind him as well. I sure wish that we could get the rest of the story in these cases. We hear about the crime and maybe the court case if they are caught and the crime was heinous, but never what happens to the good guy. Wisconsin has the Castle Doctrine, but this shooter was not in his home and only defending the store's property. That is a real stretch for the CCW shooter in the video for discharging his handgun.

We had a case here in Florida last year where a guy was stealing a shopping cart full of diapers from a Walmart and the security guy was after him. A CCW holder shot the thief out in the parking lot and he is the one who turned into the bad guy. State laws sure vary from one another. A friend of mine from up state New York didn't bring any handgun down here for the winter just because he had to drive through some of those liberal loving unfriendly gun states on the way.

My other auto is a .45

The bitterness of poor quality is remembered long after the sweetness of low price has faded from memory
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Admit it, you and CH are twins.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by Windfall
Probably not, but I live there and I've seen it too many times where the good guy engages the bad guy and they get accolades on Facebook and Craigslist, but is fired if they work there. That guy in the video is taking a heck of a chance ramping up the situation not only for himself, but all the people behind him as well. I sure wish that we could get the rest of the story in these cases. We hear about the crime and maybe the court case if they are caught and the crime was heinous, but never what happens to the good guy. Wisconsin has the Castle Doctrine, but this shooter was not in his home and only defending the store's property. That is a real stretch for the CCW shooter in the video for discharging his handgun.

We had a case here in Florida last year where a guy was stealing a shopping cart full of diapers from a Walmart and the security guy was after him. A CCW holder shot the thief out in the parking lot and he is the one who turned into the bad guy. State laws sure vary from one another. A friend of mine from up state New York didn't bring any handgun down here for the winter just because he had to drive through some of those liberal loving unfriendly gun states on the way.

He wasn’t defending the stories property, he was defending everyone in that store that were being robbed at gun point. The prep could have shot someone at any time without provocation.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
M
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
M
Probably would attempt to take him out....provided that my family is safe and the shot could be taken without unduly jeopardizing others.. If he is armed and threatening....he is a definite threat. Waiting “until” he starts firing....will likely be “too late” for someone. I would have difficulty dealing with the knowledge that, my inaction caused someone ( man, woman, or child) to be injured or killed! memtb

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am just not a sheepdog. My family first, always, then unless there appears there will be a blood bath, I'm not going to get involved to save the store's money.

No sheepdog here either. Once my family is safe, I am a primarily porcupine.

"Would I do it?" depends on a lot of variables. The only true answer is "possibly".

The thing that stands out as ironic to me in this thread is the number of us who seem to assume that the worst that might happen to them is they might get themselves killed. I think the possibility of saddling your family with the care of a cripple or existing in poverty should also enter into the plan.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by memtb
Probably would attempt to take him out....provided that my family is safe and the shot could be taken without unduly jeopardizing others.. If he is armed and threatening....he is a definite threat. Waiting “until” he starts firing....will likely be “too late” for someone. I would have difficulty dealing with the knowledge that, my inaction caused someone ( man, woman, or child) to be injured or killed! memtb

It could go either way. You could just as easily make him start shooting and kill someone,even if you hit him with the first shot. There's no way to know what to do and you would just have to use your best judgement at that time.

I guess for me it would depend a lot on how aggressive the guy seemed and how he handled his gun. You might not be able to tell anything at all about what the guy might or might not do,and you might be totally wrong. If I was really close and he turned his attention away,I would likely go for a head shot. You would also have to be conscious of what was on the other side of him in the direction you were shooting. Under some circumstances I would definitely shoot,and under some I might not be able to shoot without escalating the threat.

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by FreeMe
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
I am just not a sheepdog. My family first, always, then unless there appears there will be a blood bath, I'm not going to get involved to save the store's money.

No sheepdog here either. Once my family is safe, I am a primarily porcupine.

"Would I do it?" depends on a lot of variables. The only true answer is "possibly".

The thing that stands out as ironic to me in this thread is the number of us who seem to assume that the worst that might happen to them is they might get themselves killed. I think the possibility of saddling your family with the care of a cripple or existing in poverty should also enter into the plan.

Thanks FreeMe for pointing out that getting killed isn’t necessarily the most heinous thing that could happen to you. Yeah, dying would suck but so would existing on machines to help you breath, or perhaps lose everything you’ve worked your whole life for by losing a civil suit.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do have to admit if it was summertime and I had my 380 I wouldn't be as quick to engage the shooter if not completely necessary.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Mike74
I do have to admit if it was summertime and I had my 380 I wouldn't be as quick to engage the shooter if not completely necessary.

That should be the same attitude with any handgun. You could easily have the same outcome from a 9mm or 45acp as from a 380. Handguns just aren't 100 percent reliable as man stoppers no matter what caliber. Yea,I would always rather shoot the bad guy with the larger caliber,but even so it's not a 100% guarantee of putting him down before he can shoot back.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by RyanTX
For you fellas in the "once my family is out, it's not my problem" crowd, I just can't agree with you. Yes, first and foremost I'm getting my family to safety. After that, I'm doing what I can if it is a situation where I am able to do so. I couldn't live with myself if someone else was killed and I didn't do anything to stop it. Once that guy pulled the weapon I'd have no problem popping him. I'm sure as hell not going to try and read his body language and guess what his actions will be after he's already pulled the gun.

My boys both work at the local grocery store and sure would hope that someone would do the same for them in a similar situation.

I ain't gonna die to save FredIII or Renegade50. I might help out after he flames them, maybe.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by Steelhead
Originally Posted by RyanTX
For you fellas in the "once my family is out, it's not my problem" crowd, I just can't agree with you. Yes, first and foremost I'm getting my family to safety. After that, I'm doing what I can if it is a situation where I am able to do so. I couldn't live with myself if someone else was killed and I didn't do anything to stop it. Once that guy pulled the weapon I'd have no problem popping him. I'm sure as hell not going to try and read his body language and guess what his actions will be after he's already pulled the gun.

My boys both work at the local grocery store and sure would hope that someone would do the same for them in a similar situation.

I ain't gonna die to save FredIII or Renegade50. I might help out after he flames them, maybe.

LMAO laugh

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same." - Ronald Reagan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
That was funny!

D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by Windfall
......A friend of mine from up state New York didn't bring any handgun down here for the winter just because he had to drive through some of those liberal loving unfriendly gun states on the way.

At one time I felt about like your friend. Anymore, their law ain't worth my life if I'm just passing through with no intent of stopping over. Been through Maryland a couple times without locking the handgun into a compartment or what ever stupid requirements they have. Just make sure I had enough gas before entering and hoped that nothing happened to cause me to have to stop.

The wife had to go to Cleveland clinic back years ago before I even had a WV permit. Wasn't going to that sh ithole without. First day there, after her test she was feeling pretty good and wanted to take a little drive so we did. Beautiful warm day out so we had the windows down. Black guy drives by us and screams "Get the f u c k of the east side!" The .357 got moved from under the driver seat to under my leg. I think he meant it more as a warning than a threat but we took his advice.

Screw their anti-gun laws too.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
D
dave284 Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
D
As for the original video question, I'd try to be a good witness once my wife was safe and may shoot if I thought he was about to. Our local county sheriff doesn't want anyone but cops to have a gun.

I don't remember the movie or even the actor (Clint Eastwood maybe?)

"You just shot an unarmed man."

"Well, he should have armed himself."

Kind of the way I feel about the bystanders, they should have armed themselves.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

Build a man a fire and he’ll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire and he’ll be warm for the rest of his life.

www.wvcdl.org
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
It'd be a clean shoot here.

The whole moral obligation thing will surely go crazy here, but I'll say that until I KNOW that all of my tribe are fersureandfercertain safe I'm not playing hero for anybody else. It would be terrible if while I'm getting my people out somebody else gets hurt, but I suppose that those people could've bought a gun too.... I've had pretty heated arguments about that stance with my peers. When they ask how I could sleep at night knowing that somebody had died while I was getting my family out I answer, "I'd sleep miserably. But I'd sleep miserably with my family safe and sound in my home."

Spot on as usual blue

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jimmyp
I am an old guy and I agree with Blue. However I must add that anyone who has a safety on a self defense pistol ( unless all you ever use is a 1911) is foolish.
I think that's just going too far.

Now I'll agree with you that most are better off choosing a pistol with no manual safety...But...

Seriously, if you can train yourself to not put your finger on the trigger before the gun is pointing down range during your draw, you can train yourself to take a safety off. If you're incapable of being trained how to operate a safety; then you ought not to be handling a firearm.

Now, if you're unwilling to truly put in the effort to learn how to properly operate a pistol equipped with a safety; then you have no business carrying it.

But to say it's foolish to choose a weapon that's equipped with a safety; that's just taking things to an unnecessary extreme.

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

554 members (1beaver_shooter, 219 Wasp, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1lessdog, 1badf350, 63 invisible), 2,451 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,937
Posts18,519,017
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.