W
First elk with a flintlock

and first year since I have lived in Idaho that I didn't get a deer

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Watched my youngest son make a perfect 24 yard shot with my crossbow to kill his first deer....a 4 point in full velvet.

Burt2506

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
My middle son and probable future son-in-law both took their first deer this year.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
First time killing a deer with a 6.5 Creedmoor, first use of a Bergara rifle on deer, and first time killing a deer where I didn’t have to gut it. Daughter wants to be a surgeon and wanted to see what the insides of a deer look like. First time dragging a deer through thigh deep snow. (Not a fan). That’s about it.

Old70

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
For me this year, it was my first over 200" mule deer and my first real non typical. After 53 years of taking mule deer every year, they were all typical with maybe one extra point here or there. This years had 9 score able points per side. Small for a non typical but I am proud of him non the less.

IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
My 10 year old son got his first deer this year, a big doe. He was shaking as we walked up on her. I was a bit excited too. grin
He used my AR 6mm-223 with 70 gr BT and rested on a Caldwell Dead Shot field pod. 100 yd heart shot. That Caldwell is just the ticket for a kid from a blind.

The critters have to win every time, I only have to win once. www.swanspointoutfitters.com
www.lazybar-t.com outfitters
65-43-22-5
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
1. First time I killed a deer that tasted so bad I threw it away. It had a seroma on its chest too small for me to notice until skinned, and almost fully healed scratches on its hind quarters from a predator attack. Fat and healthy looking deer.

2. First time to shoot game with a red dot sight. Used only for grouse on a .22 rifle, I grew to love the sight picture but it sets so high above the bore that I had to cobble up a TALL riser just to get any cheek contact.

K
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
K
Finally, kilt a deer with a model 1894 Winchester.

Really! After almost 50 years of huntin' em.

Kilt a whole slew of em with muzzleloaders. Just hadn't done it with a model 94.

Just never had.

Founder
Ancient Order of the 1895 Winchester

"Come, shall we go and kill us venison?
And yet it irks me the poor dappled fools,
Being native burghers of this desert city,
Should in their own confines with forked heads
Have their round haunches gored."

WS

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by sambo3006
My 10 year old son got his first deer this year, a big doe. He was shaking as we walked up on her. I was a bit excited too. grin
He used my AR 6mm-223 with 70 gr BT and rested on a Caldwell Dead Shot field pod. 100 yd heart shot. That Caldwell is just the ticket for a kid from a blind.
Congrats! You are very right about the Caldwell. Ground blinds and that thing are two great tools for taking restless kiddos deer hunting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Killed my first mule deer buck, it was a dink but it was my dink. Killed a buck with a bow in Pa, after many years of sitting and enjoying the scenery a legal buck stood still long enough to catch my arrow.

Tell me the odds of putting grease on the same pancake? I Know they are there, well ice and house slippers. -Kawi
IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
First time shooting a deer with a 6.5 CM

First time shooting a Buck from 10' while sitting in a Chair

I sat the chair in a Pine thicket right on a Rub line...The Buck walked right up to me...

“When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth.”
P
PWN Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
First time I have missed opening day of rifle season since 1974. I ran in a 5K with my wife. Still killed a nice 10 point which was the biggest deer taken from our lease that evening. First time I have had a second chance at a deer I missed earlier in the season. The second time was the charm and I killed the biggest deer ever with my crossbow.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
First time I ever hunted our farm without my dad. He's 95 and wasn't feeling it. I was gonna hunt locally but he said I should go. Went up expecting a 3 day weekend by myself. Made my longest shot to date, 402 yards (on the 12 point we had on camera) the first evening. That filled my last buck tag. So I went home the next day. Now I have my first ever taxidermy bill too. Sure wish it would've been dad that got the 12 point or at least him being there when I did.

Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We had one more first of mention from this past fall. I had picked up a Model 70 in the dreaded .270 Win. for a backup gun. My son's buddy deer hunted for the first time with us this fall and carried the Winchester. I got the call at 8:30 the first morning. He had connected on a nice 8 point. First day he ever hunted, and bled that rifle for the first time since I bought it. Of course, he's really liking that gun now. It might be going home with him this fall, I think. The kid's not too well off. It may be one of those "trade me for a 6 pack" sales.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I watched through binoculars as a buck ate acorns slowly towards my daughter's treestand and I saw the arrow streak thru the air to the 10 ring.
This was her first archery deer and it dropped in 50 yards.
Great excitement. She had killed does with a rifle but was shaking like a leaf after this shot.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gophergunner
We had one more first of mention from this past fall. I had picked up a Model 70 in the dreaded .270 Win. for a backup gun. My son's buddy deer hunted for the first time with us this fall and carried the Winchester. I got the call at 8:30 the first morning. He had connected on a nice 8 point. First day he ever hunted, and bled that rifle for the first time since I bought it. Of course, he's really liking that gun now. It might be going home with him this fall, I think. The kid's not too well off. It may be one of those "trade me for a 6 pack" sales.

Fantastic !

Made me smile .

I love the FIRSTs > whether for myself OR for others.

Good on Ya.

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by magshooter1
First time I ever hunted our farm without my dad. He's 95 and wasn't feeling it. I was gonna hunt locally but he said I should go. Went up expecting a 3 day weekend by myself. Made my longest shot to date, 402 yards (on the 12 point we had on camera) the first evening. That filled my last buck tag. So I went home the next day. Now I have my first ever taxidermy bill too. Sure wish it would've been dad that got the 12 point or at least him being there when I did.

Here's your story of the 12 pt. Glad to help. smile

Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
E
edk Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Took my dad's Remington pump 270 and shot a 4by 4 with it for memories. Been about 20 years since he died. Still works fine. 180 yards thru the heart. Rifle has never had a scope on it. Ed k

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Finally shot a "Big" 8 point. Took 43 years, but it was my first 140" 8 point whitetail. Likely my last as well.

"Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Otter6
Finally shot a "Big" 8 point. Took 43 years, but it was my first 140" 8 point whitetail. Likely my last as well.

A big perfectly symmetrical 8 point is hard to find and on my bucket list. Congratulations!

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

447 members (21, 160user, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 37 invisible), 2,098 guests, and 1,170 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,124
Posts18,483,796
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.