Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
Was checking out budget rifles for a friend. Know much of the pro/cons of the Ruger Am., T/C Compass/Venture, Savage, Mossberg, Marlin and Remingtons but haven’t heard much about the Winchester XPR. Does anyone have any experience or opinions ?

HR IC

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I’ve not seen a single review of one. I’m not convinced they’ve actually released them.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one. I have not used it, but for the money it is a nicely put together rifle. The trigger is very good and the fit and finish is pretty darn good for the money. Better than most sub-$1000 factory rifles I have handled recently.

Here is a review from Field and Stream:

https://www.fieldandstream.com/articles/hunting/2015/06/rifle-review-winchesters-new-xpr

The first great thing is to find yourself and for that you need solitude and contemplation. I can tell you deliverance will not come from the rushing noisy centers of civilization. It will come from the lonely places. Fridtjof Nansen
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
held one last week, felt like a mix of all the other cheap ones, however much heavier in the front end, good looking, just did not handle great to me.

guns to me are like legal crack
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
from what i've read they are quite accurate.

IC B2

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
I was thinking of the XPC. That’s the one I’ve seen no reviews on.

John

If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then I will hear from heaven, and I will forgive their sin and will heal their land. 2 Chronicles 7:14
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
They are supposedly good shooters. Just have not seen one up close or fondled one as of yet. Just something about a Winchester Bolt gun without the 3 position wing safety , doesn't seem right to me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Quite a few reviews on the Winchester XPR. A quick internet search reveals several. All seem to be pretty much the same: supremely accurate with factory ammo or handloads, quality build and great features for the price. The “high-end” of budget rifles, if you will.

You will not find much love for it on this board, I’m afraid.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I thought about buying one when CDNN had them on sale, but then I dropped by the local Cabela's and after handling it I knew that it was not for me. Ugly stock with bad ergs, worse than the Remington 710 family of ugly stocks. They might shoot OK, but you've got to draw the line somewhere.

To my way of thinking, the Marlin X guns were the best in class; good looking, good shooting, good ergs, easy to swap barrels, etc.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by seattlesetters
Quite a few reviews on the Winchester XPR. A quick internet search reveals several. All seem to be pretty much the same: supremely accurate with factory ammo or handloads, quality build and great features for the price. The “high-end” of budget rifles, if you will.

You will not find much love for it on this board, I’m afraid.

Pretty much sums it up.

FWIW, I have one in a 6.5CM - of course. Accurate, decent features and pretty fair quality for the price.

I never thought I'd grow up to be a grumpy old man, but I did, and I'm killin' it.
IC B3

C
CP Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I have one too. It has proven to be the least accurate rifle that I have purchased over the past 15 years. Although I was tempted to just drop it off at the local landfill, I instead sent it to the Winchester/Browning repair center to learn what in the hell is wrong with it. They assigned it to a gunsmith almost month ago, so I am going call them next week to hear what they have discovered. All I can say is-my sample of one has been bad medicine... CP.

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Originally Posted by CP
I have one too. It has proven to be the least accurate rifle that I have purchased over the past 15 years. Although I was tempted to just drop it off at the local landfill, I instead sent it to the Winchester/Browning repair center to learn what in the hell is wrong with it. They assigned it to a gunsmith almost month ago, so I am going call them next week to hear what they have discovered. All I can say is-my sample of one has been bad medicine... CP.

I bought one in 243 that I haven't gotten to shoot so far... best was like 1.5 or so MOA. They use a slow twist on it, so I've got some 80gr BTs loaded up for it I'm gonna try. Everything 90+ didn't group well.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I won a XPR from the RMEF last year, it's a 7mm RM. took 3 shots at a downed tree the 3 shots at a target at 100yds. Under an inch using power shock ammo and shooting off sticks.

American Rifles and Italian Shotguns
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Model70Fan
I won a XPR from the RMEF last year, it's a 7mm RM. took 3 shots at a downed tree the 3 shots at a target at 100yds. Under an inch using power shock ammo and shooting off sticks.

The one I picked up in 6.5 Creedmoor during the CDNN sale/rebate has 18 rounds down the spout. One 3-shot group with four different kinds of factory ammo after a half-dozen shots to get it where I wanted on paper.

All four went into an 1” or less. The group shot with the Winchester Deer Season XP 125gr essentially went into two touching holes. I believe it to be the smallest group I’ve ever shot at 100 yards.

The other three all went around 0.8-1.0”. The Hornady American Whitetail 129gr InterLock went 0.8” or so with the Browning BXR 129gr and Federal Fusion 140gr both at about an inch.

I actually am ok with the ergos and the stock. Anything that allows me to shoot that well for less than $300 to my safe (including FFL fees) is going to get a thumbs up from me.

I’m going to check out some more premium bullets for accuracy but things look pretty darn good so far.

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

411 members (10Glocks, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 12344mag, 160user, 1badf350, 40 invisible), 1,894 guests, and 1,206 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,633
Posts18,493,125
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.