Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by noKnees
Originally Posted by scottishkat
Didn't they just purchase Barnes Bullets?

That could suck

It happened 8 years ago. Has the suck sank in yet?

N
noKnees Online Content OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Online Content
Campfire Tracker
N
Originally Posted by Whttail_in_MT

That could suck

It happened 8 years ago. Has the suck sank in yet?

I was meaning that if Remington doesn't get funding to continue production through bankruptcy the supply of Barnes might get a little thin.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Too many MBA’s, not enough gun looneys

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I've always been a curmudgeon - now I'm an old curmudgeon.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have worked for two companies owned by Private Equity firms (like Cerberus) in the past five years. A PE firm's typical M.O. is to bleed as much cash out of the company as possible, "polish the financial books" for a couple quarters and then flip it to another PE firm. Rinse and repeat... Mediocrity is a way of life in a company owned by a PE firm because all available cash is flowing directly to the PE "partner"... Stupid decisions that give a short term boost to cash flow that are not long term sustainable are common.

Think of a giant lamprey eel that is attached directly to your bank account...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Orion2000
I have worked for two companies owned by Private Equity firms (like Cerberus) in the past five years. A PE firm's typical M.O. is to bleed as much cash out of the company as possible, "polish the financial books" for a couple quarters and then flip it to another PE firm. Rinse and repeat... Mediocrity is a way of life in a company owned by a PE firm because all available cash is flowing directly to the PE "partner"... Stupid decisions that give a short term boost to cash flow that are not long term sustainable are common.

HUGE +1.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
Ever watch the Sopranos? Remember when the guy who owned the sporting goods store got into heavy debt with Tony and his crew in a card game? They took over his store and made him take out huge loans which they gave to themselves. Then they sold a lot of his merchandise out the back door at a loss for quick cash. Then when the banks wouldn’t loan any more money and the creditors were coming to lock the doors, they burned it down and collected the insurance money.

That is pretty much what a PE firm does to a company. But instead of gaudily dressed overweight Italian guys, it is Wall Street MBAs in $3k suits. And of course, it is all legal.

Last edited by JoeBob; 02/08/18.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JoeBob
Ever watch the Sopranos? Remember when the guy who owned the sporting goods store got into heavy debt with Tony and his crew in a card game? They took over his store and made him take out huge loans which they gave to themselves. Then they sold a lot of his merchandise out the back door at a loss for quick cash. Then when the banks wouldn’t loan any more money and the creditors were coming to lock the doors, they burned it down and collected the insurance money.

That is pretty much what a PE firm does to a company. But instead of gaudily dressed overweight Italian guys, it is Wall Street MBAs in $3k suits. And of course, it is all legal.

When you can buy lobbyists and influence in swamp D.C. you can make anything you want legal. Why do you think medicine in America is so expensive. The stock holders want a return. A BIG return.

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by JoeBob

That 4 line paragraph sums up perfectly what PE firms do to companies. Run up debt, HUGE bonuses for directors, sell off the scraps, move on.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by mark shubert
Originally Posted by Stormin_Norman
Too many MBA’s, not enough gun looneys

^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I'm both an MBA and a rifle looney, being either isn't that big a deal.

Remington isn't doing a good job of building firearms that can successfully compete with Ruger and Savage on price and quality.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by P_Weed
I'm still waiting for my $100 rebate on their neat RM 380 pistol.

You and me both. Love the gun, though.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My, how times have changed. I remember when if you had a Remington anything you were in good shape. But that was fifty years ago. Sad!

If we live long enough, we all have regrets. But the ones that nag at us the most are the ones in which we know we had a choice.

Doug
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Orion2000

What I've seen is a slight variation. First, buy it with debt, then bleed as much cash as possible, take on more debt, give large bonuses and pay days to key people, then file for bankruptcy.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E

Yeah, about eight years ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R

That could suck

I pray to God they didnt.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One would think that the ammo flow alone could more than keep them afloat. Never researched the company. Could be they're separate entities.

1Minute
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Did you ever hear of the guy selling gasoline for $.10 less per gallon than it cost him? He figured he would make up the loss in volume.....

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Big Green shutting down wouldn't effect me since my rifle buying days are about over and even if they weren't I wouldn't buy any of their new stuff and the only component of theirs I use are primers which I have a lifetime supply of but I hate the idea of loosing them.
Shame but much like our country I fear the damage is done at this point.

E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by renegade50

That could suck

I pray to God they didnt.

Done eight years ago.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Cerebus/Remington, formerly Freedom Group, owns Remington, Marlin, Bushmaster, DPMS, H & R, Dakota Arms, Para USA, Barnes Bullets, Tapco, Parker Gun, Mountain Khakis, Timber Smith.

Cerebus has been trying to sell Off Freedom Group/Remington since 2012 with no takers. Robert Nardelli, formerly of Chrysler, Home Depot, and GE and Freedom Group, was named by Conde Nast in 2009 as one of the worst CEOs of all time.

Let's Go Brandon! FJB
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
their stuff has been junk for a long time anyways. same thing with another company, vista outdoors.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (222Sako, 2500HD, 219DW, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 1badf350, 160user, 46 invisible), 2,259 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,387
Posts18,506,794
Members74,000
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.