-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Agreed. The 24" barreled action with trigger and rail is 5 pounds 10.5 oz. CTR stock with bottom metal and magazine is 2 pounds 9.5 oz. Thats 8.25 pounds. Figure another 4 oz for rings, plus 28+ oz for the illuminated Weaver 3-15 (non-illuminated model is just over 27 oz) you'll be roughly right at 10.25 pounds. Add 10 rounds to that magzine and should be just over 11 pounds....before bipod. smile

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
More like 60-80 fps loss vs. 24” barrel.... IME

Even easier! laugh

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
6.5 swede would have solved your velocity concern..... have a buddy with the CTR and he enjoys it!

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Incase anyone needs to see it, here is the CTR +TPS Super Lows + LRHS 2-12 on the factory CTR rail.

[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
The small stock pack gives me a perfect cheek weld + sight picture. Without one, my head would be a little low. I'm sure there's some combination of rail and rings that could get you a little lower, but I had these TPS and I like em.

I have no complaints with the CTR. Only wish is a 5 round mag that is half as tall as the factor 10 rounder. But maybe thats just me. I'd just like to have a shorter mag (much like the T3 Lite) for long trek carry scenarios.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice cheek pad OutdoorAG wink

As an example of how weight adds up even scope caps, bipod, and cheek pad can get the weight up here. Granted this here is a 4.5-18X44 LRHS and as such is close to 28 oz just like the Weaver Tactical the OP just purchased, but here is my buddy's 24" rifle even unloaded (likely add another 1/2 to 3/4 of a pound for 10 rounds).

[Linked Image]

11.75 pounds

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Yeah props to lanche for the cheek pad intel. Nice price to boot.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Only wish is a 5 round mag that is half as tall as the factor 10 rounder. But maybe thats just me. I'd just like to have a shorter mag (much like the T3 Lite) for long trek carry scenarios.

That's why I'd rather just start with a T3 Lite to begin with.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Originally Posted by OutdoorAg

Only wish is a 5 round mag that is half as tall as the factor 10 rounder. But maybe thats just me. I'd just like to have a shorter mag (much like the T3 Lite) for long trek carry scenarios.

That's why I'd rather just start with a T3 Lite to begin with.

More or less depends on what the end goal is IMO. If I want light and svelt I got that. For a longer range plinker a heavier setup I haven't found to be that bad. Heck my CTR goes like 13+ before suppressor and I still lugged it all over. smile

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Thats a fair observation. I have a T3 Lite 243 that I like A LOT. But, the CTR brings a few other pieces to the puzzle that I also like:

- Threaded 5/8-24 with cap
- Pic rail
- extra meat on the barrel

It means that I'm ready to roll with rings and a can without having to buy anything else or call up a gunsmith to thread a barrel.

Now I've never tested the T3 and CTR side by, but I'm wondering - on a lengthy shot string - lets say 10 - will the T3 Lite start to wander more as things heat up? Would be an interesting test. I've got 2 five round mags for the 243. Its a shooter. Could put it next to the CTR 6.5 and run 10 through it.

This of course has little to no bearing in a big game hunting scenario.

I do shoot heavier rifles better, so I like the weight the CTR brings. But thats just a personal pref.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've had a few rifles like that too, but have completely lost interest in the heavy rifle concept.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Pretty simple to pull the cheekpiece, install a stud underneath (to adjust height), dremmel a slot for the bolt to clear when removed, then reinstall with the original screw. Now you’ve got a custom height cheekpiece.... without going to a purse or a taco.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

You better pray to the God of Skinny Punks that this wind doesn't pick up......
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
but have completely lost interest in the heavy rifle concept

I've been on the opposite end of the spectrum. Sold off my Montana, no interest in the Fieldcraft, etc. Won't see me building a custom flyweight. Not to say that I'm attempting to make rifles heavier on purpose, but I'd done worrying about 7 pound or bust.

I like accuracy. And I shoot heavier better. Maybe thats a grade of my shooting ability or lack there of. And thats ok.

Last edited by OutdoorAg; 02/09/18.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A T3 Lite with a 20-25 ounce scope is still around 8 lbs loaded depending on mounts and what not. Far from a flyweight....and that weight range makes for a nice balance of portability and stability.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
20” CTR with a 13-16oz Scope also weighs around 8lbs.... and side by side with a T3 SS 10x combo in .243... is much easier to make hits with.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
My T3X CTR 20" 260 weighed something like 7 lbs 10 or 12 oz bare, so after adding a scope, ammo, and mounts, it was just a wee bit over 8 lbs. wink
Maybe when they went to the T3X it added a few ounces?

Don't get me wrong, I like the CTR. I just think it's better suited as a chunk.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Dogshooter that is way nice that 20” is a full 12-16 oz lighter than the 24” CTR (my 24” is 8.25 pounds bare). I never would have guessed that 4” of barrel was that heavy at 3-4 oz per inch of barrel but I guess it’s medium contour barrel adds a pile of weight by compared to #1 and #2 contour barrels.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Look at the scale in the pic above.... 8.25 lbs with a couple rounds.

Lose the rail/rings... and go Talleys + light scope.... and you can be under 8.5 lbs. Not “light”... but certainly not “heavy”... and definitely “handy”.

Over the past couple years, hunting with my wife and kids, along with other new hunters/shooters... I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s much easier to ask someone to pack an 8lb rifle, than it is to ask them to shoot something with a 7lb rifle.

I’ll conceed that our particular CTR is not set up as a true “long range” rig.... though it can certainly hold its own out to 600+. It’s set-up as a rifle that’s easy to hit stuff with, packs pretty well, can be run suppressed or naked, and is of sufficient caliber to kill anything they may draw a tag for in the lower 48.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I believe Dogshooter is responsible for quite a few CTR purchases. This was very well put:

I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s much easier to ask someone to pack an 8lb rifle, than it is to ask them to shoot something with a 7lb rifle.

*raises hand

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dogshooter
Look at the scale in the pic above.... 8.25 lbs with a couple rounds.

Lose the rail/rings... and go Talleys + light scope.... and you can be under 8.5 lbs. Not “light”... but certainly not “heavy”... and definitely “handy”.

Over the past couple years, hunting with my wife and kids, along with other new hunters/shooters... I’ve come to the conclusion that it’s much easier to ask someone to pack an 8lb rifle, than it is to ask them to shoot something with a 7lb rifle.

I’ll conceed that our particular CTR is not set up as a true “long range” rig.... though it can certainly hold its own out to 600+. It’s set-up as a rifle that’s easy to hit stuff with, packs pretty well, can be run suppressed or naked, and is of sufficient caliber to kill anything they may draw a tag for in the lower 48.

Wasn't saying I didn't believe you sir!! I am just surpised yours is likely a full pound lighter than my 24" model that is all. Maybe the T3 CTR is lighter than the T3X CTR?? Either way yes I agree it easier to have people shoot a heavier rifle than a light one. Being as my CTR got passed around by 7 different folks this year to fill tags, from 8 year old kids, to 60 year old folks and most shoots between 330-500 yards with it its hard not to like them. It is also fun to stretch it's legs to 1000 yards and beyond as well. If I want light and fast I have those covered as well. But the CTR is easily the most fun to shoot rifle I have, maybe not the most fun to carry, but for anything based off a day hunt there I am not carrying the rifle in my hands I have come to realize that its really not that big of a deal if my daypack with rifle included weighs 20 or 25 pounds. Certainly not going to make or brake a hunt for me in those conditions or situations. If I am on a multiday backpacking trip then sure I am grabbing for my 7.5 pound all up rifles (or some that weigh a lot less even).

Thanks for your pics in the past to help push me over the edge on them as well. That said I am still jealous your CTR 7.25 pounds or less naked! smile

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 1badf350, 270cowboy, 2500HD, 280Jeff, 58 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,170
Posts18,503,147
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.