Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
This is about Cerebus, not Remington as a gun manufacturer.

If there is low quality control, that is because of the managing financial partner, not because the guns are junk. If the design of the 700 is the same as it was 20-40 years ago when they were awesome, then it's all about the financials not the production.

Alas, all the new Remington shotguns and rifles I've seen shot in the last 5 years have been more functional/accurate than anything from the past.

You're right, this is not the fault of the name brand, but of the people who are running it. Most of my rifles are Remington 700's and 7's. I had one that had to go back and be repaired due to the bolt handle coming unglued.......so yes, even I admit that there quality has been suspect. But, the rifles still shoot good, and if you replace that new trigger, they shoot even better. I just like their style, it's what I'm used to. I've tried Tikka's, and Howa's, and Ruger's, and while they were good shooting rifles, I keep going back to the 700's and 7's. I don't care what someone shoots, it' their dime and they can spend it as they want to. The thing I don't like is when they try and tell me that what they're spending their money on is a much better product than mine, when it's simply a matter of personal preference. I find Savage rifles to be as ugly as homemade sin, but if that's what someone likes, I'm happy for them.

G
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
G
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
This is about Cerebus, not Remington as a gun manufacturer.

If there is low quality control, that is because of the managing financial partner, not because the guns are junk. If the design of the 700 is the same as it was 20-40 years ago when they were awesome, then it's all about the financials not the production.

Alas, all the new Remington shotguns and rifles I've seen shot in the last 5 years have been more functional/accurate than anything from the past.

^^This^^
Case closed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
They have priced themselves out of my market for reloading components. Winchester is cheaper as is their ammo.

Jim

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Cheap plastic guns, and assembly line firearm production is what has changed the firearms industry.

If someone is looking for a deer rifle or a dove shotgun, they are more likely to run down to Walmart or Academy and buy the least expensive version of those that they can...

THAT dynamic has changed the firearms industry for good.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
older Remington bdl's will soon bring 2k

Last edited by srwshooter; 02/09/18.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Well, AOBC (Smith & Wesson) just hired this lady.

You think she knows squat about guns, based on her previous experience??? Maybe AOBC wants to become a lucrative apparel company....🙄

Addition to board of directors

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by fburgtx

You think she knows squat about guns, based on her previous experience??? Maybe AOBC wants to become a lucrative apparel company....🙄

If you think outdoor clothing is a cheap, no profit item, think again. If she can run a successful clothing line as part of a gun manufacturer business, it just might be thier saving grace on the bottom line. Almost every problem has more than one solution.

An unemployed Jester, is nobody's Fool.

the only real difference between a good tracker and a bad tracker, is observation. all the same data is present for both. The rest, is understanding what you're seeing.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Hate to see the oldest American gun company go down. But they were striving for it and got it. As for managers; there are 2 kinds, those that know everything (but don't), and those that know how to find someone (like the guys on the floor) who does know about specific things.

The corporate raider thing is wide spread.

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by kellory
Originally Posted by fburgtx

If you think outdoor clothing is a cheap, no profit item, think again. If she can run a successful clothing line as part of a gun manufacturer business, it just might be thier saving grace on the bottom line. Almost every problem has more than one solution.

You could be right, but so far, all I've seen most gun companies do is license their name to be put on cheap shirts and pocket knives (Colt, S&W, and Remington).

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by srwshooter
older Remington bdl's will soon bring 2k

That would surprise me - Why not just buy a custom that improved the 700? Patriot Valley has a package with the new ARC nucleus, premium barrel, and a KRG BRavo for $2k.

I don't see the Rem 700 offering anything unique like a Pre-64 M70 or things of that nature.

Last edited by tarheelpwr; 02/09/18.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There is an age old trigger liability problem which may influence Remingtons survival. Can you imagine internal communications coming to light about covering up a faulty design that allows their rifles to fire when safety is moved to "fire" and the lawsuits to follow?

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I worked for USPS for 31 years. When I started working there in 1984, most of the managers were people who knew their chit. They were 99% older White males, who had been there, done that. Guys that had came up thru the ranks. Then the government began to push Affirmative Action and wanted more women and more minorities in those jobs. There were some pretty good women managers, but I can only recall one Black postmaster who actually knew what he was doing.

Look at the shape USPS is in today, and a lot of it can be traced back to inept hiring practices, and the "need" to have a workforce that is "fair and balanced". Same way with any other business that gets people who don't know what they're doing when it comes to making management decisions. The brand name of Remington is not to blame for their problems, but the people who made the stupid decisions. But, the good name Remington has had is going to suffer the consequences, and may never be the same again.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Once Cerberus bought them the end result was easy to predict. What a shame .

Old enough to remember the quality associated with a REmington 700 and especially the Custom shop 700's.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Remington could easily solve all of their problems by releasing a cheap plastic Creedmoore.

J
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
J
Sell like hot cakes!

For some reason I don't understand.

I am MAGA.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
A dissenting vote on Cerberus.....

Private equity companies usually make their money by taking an underperforming company, and fixing the problems so that it is more profitable. Then they sell it for a profit. That's good for them, good for the company, and good for the customers.

Apparently they haven't been able to carry it off this time.

But, fret not. If they can't fix their problems, the solution is to sell off the operating groups and to sell the physical assets of the parts that can't be fixed. So what you're likely to see is the Remington factory bought at a steep discount by someone who believes they can run it profitably. Since they will be paying a lot less for the factory than Remington did, they have a much better chance of servicing the debt and making a profit. They might well sell off Barnes, DPMS, etc. to people who believe that they can do a better job of running them than the present management.

Be not weary in well doing.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by denton
A dissenting vote on Cerberus.....

Private equity companies usually make their money by taking an underperforming company, and fixing the problems so that it is more profitable. Then they sell it for a profit. That's good for them, good for the company, and good for the customers.

Apparently they haven't been able to carry it off this time.

But, fret not. If they can't fix their problems, the solution is to sell off the operating groups and to sell the physical assets of the parts that can't be fixed. So what you're likely to see is the Remington factory bought at a steep discount by someone who believes they can run it profitably. Since they will be paying a lot less for the factory than Remington did, they have a much better chance of servicing the debt and making a profit. They might well sell off Barnes, DPMS, etc. to people who believe that they can do a better job of running them than the present management.

That is one plus. Cerberus did a miserable job for sure

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Or build Model 70s...

Why not? They had M70s in their catalog one year. In a horse scabbard in a snowstorm, but you could tell it was a stainless M70, sure as shootin'.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
Sell like hot cakes!

For some reason I don't understand.

Welcome to the twenty first century.

Gotta have a $50,000 jacked up pick up to drive to the mall and the cheapest plastic POS rifle you can find.

But it's gotta say Creedmoor on the barrel.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
They do have a plastic creedmoor. The adl is now available that way

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

222 members (12344mag, 1Longbow, 338rcm, 10Glocks, 44mc, 470Evans, 16 invisible), 1,717 guests, and 968 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,455
Posts18,507,979
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.