Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Folically_Challenged
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Since lighter recoil is also in the equation,I would pick the 7mm-08.

I've never been able to discern any recoil difference between a .243's shooting 100's, and a 7mm-08 shooting anything up to 140's. It could be that I'm just a weirdo in that regard. Probably in many other regards, now that I think about it.

Anyhow, since I can't tell a difference in recoil, I always go for a "mild 7" over high-pressure 6 mm.

FC

I would pretty much agree with that. I've also has a couple of 243's that didn't like 100's. I guess my real point was that I would eliminate the 243 because of the cup and core limitation. I would much rather shoot a TTSX or bonded bullet in the 243,preference toward TTSX. That leaves the 308 and 7mm-08 and I've found the 7mm-08 to be a much milder shooter recoil wise. You could go 7mm in a couple other ways but I would prefer to buy something with easily available commercially loaded ammo. Sometimes you may not be able to load or just might not want to fool with it.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Guys,the OP wants to shoot cup and core bullets. To me that says either 7mm-08 or 308 more than the others,and rules out the 243 for me. Since lighter recoil is also in the equation,I would pick the 7mm-08.

Okay, 7-08 with 120gr Ballistic Tips from SPS. WWCD (winner, winner, chicken dinner).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I’ve owned and used pretty much all the above. This scenario simply screams, “6.5 Creedmoor!”

Recoil-wise, the Creedmoor is very mild, as mild as a .243. It shoots quite a bit bigger bullets, too.

And, speaking of bullets, the 7-08 is at its best with 120-140 grain projectiles. So is the 6.5 Creedmoor. Plus, the 6.5 bullets will have higher BCs and SDs, meaning they fly flatter and penetrate deeper. And they do it with about 15-20% less recoil and muzzle blast.

I’m a really big fan of the 7-08 and the .25-06. Killed a lot of stuff with both. But if I were looking for what the OP needs, I wouldn’t consider either for even a second.

IMHO, our OP has a need for the Creed!

What could be a sadder way to end a life than to die having never hunted with great dogs, good friends and your family?
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by larrylee
Shaman, You can not go wrong by choosing a nice 7mm-08, I own three and love them. Since you are not getting any younger much like myself my favorite is
my Sako Finnlite. Easy to carry and very accurate with my reloads.

I'll second this. I had a featherweight 7-08, roughly 6.5# all up. The recoil with factory 120 BT from the bench was noticeably less than my 9# 30-06 shooting factory 165 Accubond. So, assuming you have a normal weight rifle, 7-08 would be a pussycat.

With that being said, a 6.5 will be slightly less (admittedly splitting hairs here) than the 7-08. I'd lean toward the 7mm since it offers a bit of versatility IMO on the upper end of game weight, but that is of no concern for you, so I would lean toward minimizing recoil based on your current situation.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Since I'm assuming price is the reason for CnC bullets, don't overlook the "seconds" Nosler sells through Shooter's Pro Shop. I can't imagine the "flaws" will hurt you enough to matter out to 300 yds. Not that a 139 and 129 interlock have any flies on them, but I'd still choose a 125 and 140 Partition as the same price.

IC B2

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by tarheelpwr
Since I'm assuming price is the reason for CnC bullets, don't overlook the "seconds" Nosler sells through Shooter's Pro Shop. I can't imagine the "flaws" will hurt you enough to matter out to 300 yds. Not that a 139 and 129 interlock have any flies on them, but I'd still choose a 125 and 140 Partition as the same price.

I agree with your logic but I still think 7-08. The OP stated 300 yards as a max distance with 150 and under being much more common. He also wanted to use cup and core bullets exclusively. I would shoot the heavier bullets in the 7mm-08 and not try to max out their speed to cut down on recoil. They should perform excellent at those distances at slower speeds with milder recoil.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I agree with your logic but I still think 7-08. The OP stated 300 yards as a max distance with 150 and under being much more common. He also wanted to use cup and core bullets exclusively. I would shoot the heavier bullets in the 7mm-08 and not try to max out their speed to cut down on recoil. They should perform excellent at those distances at slower speeds with milder recoil.

I'm not going to argue that. I made an assumption (on price being the reason) and passed on some info. I had no clue SPS existed and what a great deal they offer until someone here clued me in. I would be 100% confident with a Hornady IL for those parameters.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R

I'm not going to argue that. I made an assumption (on price being the reason) and passed on some info. I had no clue SPS existed and what a great deal they offer until someone here clued me in. I would be 100% confident with a Hornady IL for those parameters.

I didn't know about SPS either,good info. Don't know if I would trust seconds for precision but I might pick up some Partitions to have for my close range stuff.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You already own the gun you need, the Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06.

Just get busy reloading.

If C+C bullets are a must, then the Nosler 125BTip or Accubond, or the Remington 125 CoreLokt will kill your big deer.

But let yourself live a little, and run the Barnes 130TTSX at a fast clip.
Or, the Barnes 110 TTSX black tip at whatever slow or fast rate you find manageable for recoil.

Buy some Trail Boss, Blue Dot, some XMP5744, and some IMR4198. You can load from mouse-squeekers through pretty hot deer loads with those, all with reduced recoil.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T

I didn't know about SPS either,good info. Don't know if I would trust seconds for precision but I might pick up some Partitions to have for my close range stuff.

I agree - I would pass on them in a LRAB/RDF high BC sort of option that I planned to push the limits with. For a hunting bullet where 100-200 yards is realistically the outer edge, I think they're a great bargain.

IC B3

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
You already own the gun you need, the Ruger Hawkeye in 30-06.

Just get busy reloading.

If C+C bullets are a must, then the Nosler 125BTip or Accubond, or the Remington 125 CoreLokt will kill your big deer.

But let yourself live a little, and run the Barnes 130TTSX at a fast clip.
Or, the Barnes 110 TTSX black tip at whatever slow or fast rate you find manageable for recoil.

Buy some Trail Boss, Blue Dot, some XMP5744, and some IMR4198. You can load from mouse-squeekers through pretty hot deer loads with those, all with reduced recoil.

You're absolutely right. It's just that ,here I am just short of 60, and I've already found the secret of the universe regarding deer rifles. It feels like there should be more to it. crazy

Also remember, this was more about getting my head wrapped around all the 6mm- 7mm rifle offerings as they relate to my whitetail deer hunting.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by shaman
OK. From the way it all sounds, 7mm-08 seems to be chambering still makes a lot of sense. Cool. That's kind of how I was leaning.

Let me now ask y'all a follow-on question. Let's put 308 WIN back into the mix. Right now I'm shooting a 308 WIN load that's maybe 5% off-max. It kills deer plenty dead. Recoil is very manageable. I wanted a load that shot like a hot 300 Savage, and I got it.

Is there going to be any difference between a 7mm-08 and a 308 WIN inside 250 yards? How about 7mm-08 and 300 Savage? Will the deer be able to tell?

Something smells fishy. You've been here for a little over 15 years with 6400 posts and you're asking if there's a difference between a 7-08 and a .308 inside 250 yards? On deer?

Are you just asking these questions to get the hens a-cluckin'? Having a little fun with these ol' arthritic coots to amuse yourself and help pass the time in the middle of winter?

N
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
N

I've bought a pile of bullets from SPS and haven't had any accuracy issues with these bullets. About the only difference I've seen between them and 1st is the packaging. The seconds will come in a bag, instead of a box. Buy with confidence.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I still say if you want to play with something new and use your 308 brass stash then get a 7mm08 and get on with it. Super easy.

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Nosler is very clear in their statements about seconds: There is no difference in performance. Seconds are overruns, minor cosmetic blemishes, and such. For example, I have a few that have a different color plastic tip. And I have a batch of flat base 223 bullets that were left over from a run that Nosler did for an Australian company.

Be not weary in well doing.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The 7-08 or 260 Rem in a lighter bolt action rifle would both be solid, sane choices. Either give good performance on game using c&c bullets. There's a decent selection of rifles for either cartridge. They make a lot of sense. Where's the point in that, though? A "practical" rifle, like a "practical" anything, is for the young. They can't afford to mess around with interesting things.

With that in mind, a ratty as possible Savage 99 should be procured. A great deal of time, money, and effort should be expended to have it customized to your specs. The caliber I'd suggest for it? Make it into a 270 Savage wildcat. That way custom dies would be needed as well. Heck, if you've a mind to, a form die could be part of that setup. The 308 brass stash wouldn't go to waste.

Now doesn't that sound like much more fun than a "me too" baby seven bolt gun?

shaman Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JayJunem
[

Something smells fishy. You've been here for a little over 15 years with 6400 posts and you're asking if there's a difference between a 7-08 and a .308 inside 250 yards? On deer?

Are you just asking these questions to get the hens a-cluckin'? Having a little fun with these ol' arthritic coots to amuse yourself and help pass the time in the middle of winter?

Honest injun! I didn't mean to poke at any bears.

I've honestly not paid a whole lot of attention over the years. I've been pretty much of a 30-something animal with 35-something tendancies and only recently started to think outside that box. When I finally started to pay attention in the 6-7mm realm the whole thing seemed muddied.

Maybe I need to start taking more naps.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by shaman
OK. From the way it all sounds, 7mm-08 seems to be chambering still makes a lot of sense. Cool. That's kind of how I was leaning.

Let me now ask y'all a follow-on question. Let's put 308 WIN back into the mix. Right now I'm shooting a 308 WIN load that's maybe 5% off-max. It kills deer plenty dead. Recoil is very manageable. I wanted a load that shot like a hot 300 Savage, and I got it.

Is there going to be any difference between a 7mm-08 and a 308 WIN inside 250 yards? How about 7mm-08 and 300 Savage? Will the deer be able to tell?

I think the only difference that matters between those cartridges will be if you have to buy factory ammo.

I spent a summer shooting factory ammo in a pair of Tikkas in 308 and 30-06, and the 308 definitely kicked less with the same bullet weights, even if those bullets were going slightly faster, which they often were. The sharpest recoil was Federal's now-discontinued 165-grain Trophy Bonded Bearclaw +P load. That load was just nasty.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.
C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
All of the calibers mentioned are great. The 7mm-08 is now thought of as a youth rifle but I’ve been a huge fan for 20 years. With 140gr GKs it’s a game killing machine. But just as a side note, as a purely deer rifle, the .257 bob is hard to beat. I know it’s smaller than you mentioned, but it’s such s mild mannered classy caliber. Just thought I’d throw it in.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I recently picked up a Winchester XTR Featherweight in .308. Classy rifle in a classic caliber. .308 can be loaded up or down pretty easy with anything from 110gr to 180 gr bullets and will kill anything from coyotes to elk (So will my pre64 30-06, but I always wanted a Featherweight). I'd say find a rifle you like in any of the above mentioned calibers and enjoy.

A true sportsman counts his achievements in proportion to the effort involved and fairness of the sport. - S. Pope
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (1minute, 1badf350, 1234, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,457 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,557
Posts18,491,741
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.