Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W

Well first block is checked...Winchester Donor procured at a good price, currently a 325 WSM Ultimate shadow. Now comes the fun. Thinking I'll build this close to what the GAP Extreme hunter specs are although not with DBM. Thinking;

1)MullerWorks 4R, 8.5 twist, in a Rock Creek #3 contour (slightly slimmer than a Bartlein 2B), thinking 24" Not really sure I'd want to go much lighter (or heavier) on the barrel but willing to listen to ideas.

2)Stock; either McMillan Hunter or Edge, trying to figure how light I really WANT this to be..and some consideration on price. Be interested in others input on this aspect. Figuring that with the Edge I could get real close to 7# even in that barrel profile, Hunter would be about 7.9# for bare rifle. Not really building this as a 'Mountain' gun but may do a little hiking with it. Really wanting that 'right' balance.

3)Scope; Going to pull the Leica off my 6.5 CM featherweight. Per factory it comes in at 18 Oz...so figuring the rifle will end up at about 9# with a McM Hunter or 8.5# with Hunters Edge all in.

Should be a fun, overpriced, and completely unnecessary addition to the stable. Sounds perfect right?

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by westside_benny

Should be a fun, overpriced, and completely unnecessary addition to the stable. Sounds perfect right?

laugh laugh
Yeah, that's about right - I can relate.

The #3 (Rock) contour seems about right for what you're wanting - length should be GTG too.
Twer' it me, I'd definitely be going the Edge route on the stock.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds about perfect! What bullets do you plan on shooting? With the M70 mag box you can run a longer freebore also.

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by 805
Sounds about perfect! What bullets do you plan on shooting? With the M70 mag box you can run a longer freebore also.

Have had good luck with 140 and 143 ELD-M's and X's, 140 Berger VLD's, and others with my other rifle. Will see what this one likes. Might even screw around with 130's.

Yes, the M70 mag box will give as much as I need to load em long. Nice feature to have.

Liberalism; The impossible yet accepted notion that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In a few days, my new 6.5 GAPchester will be in done and in hand.

I went with a Bart #3 fluted @ 23", Bansner Stock and PT&G aluminum bottom metal.
Topped with an LRHS, I think I'll be right around 8.5 lbs. Which is my hope. Light enough to pack... heavy enough (for me anyway) to take advantage of the killer ballistics at some longer distances.
I have LRI do the metal work/barrel/chambering.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Sounds like a great build. If it were me I'd go 8 twist.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go 8 twist as well.

I built my 6.5 saum on a m70 WSM and couldn't be happier with it. I used a Schneider #3 with 8 flutes @ 25" and a manners EH2, with a leupold VX6 3-18 in talleys it weighs 8.75lbs total and is perfect.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by TDN

I went with a Bart #3 fluted @ 23", Bansner Stock and PT&G aluminum bottom metal.
Topped with an LRHS, I think I'll be right around 8.5 lbs. Which is my hope. Light enough to pack... heavy enough (for me anyway) to take advantage of the killer ballistics at some longer distances.

Sounds exactly like what I’m going to start gathering parts for as soon as load development is done on a couple new ones.

Looking forward to hearing you initial impressions.
PT&G DBM or bdl style?

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Just an FYI if you're not in a hurry. If you pick up your C&R ($30 for 3 years), McMillan will give you dealer pricing on their stocks. Might help get you to the edge without as much pain. Lots of other vendors give you dealer pricing there as well.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Holston
Originally Posted by TDN

Sounds exactly like what I’m going to start gathering parts for as soon as load development is done on a couple new ones.

PT&G DBM or bdl style?

Simple BDL style 1piece. Went 8.5” twist as it was in stock. Figure if GAP went 8.7 initially I’ll be just fine. And I don’t see me wanting to go any bigger than 143s. Probably start w/ 130 VLDs, 135 JLKs and 143 ELDX w H1000 andRL26 on hand.

Last edited by TDN; 02/05/18.

"You know why nobody panic buys 30-06 ammo? ... Because men with 30-06's don't panic"
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by TDN

PT&G DBM or bdl style?

Simple BDL style 1piece. Went 8.5” twist as it was in stock. Figure if GAP went 8.7 initially I’ll be just fine. And I don’t see me wanting to go any bigger than 143s. Probably start w/ 130 VLDs, 135 JLKs and 143 ELDX w H1000 andRL26 on hand.

Wow,

Looks like my novel 'idea' isn't all that unique after all! Hope everyones (mine included) builds turn out beyond expectations! I envy you guys that are a couple steps ahead as I'd be surprised to fire my first shots for at least several months. I think McMillan and my gunsmith might be having an informal competition for longest lead time...ohh well, will make it all that much sweeter in the end and gives a guy time to forget how much is in the project.

Regarding the 8.5 vs 8 twist I am not against either. There is the fact that GAP uses the slightly lower rate barrel and plenty of others as well shooting lights out. Talk is the additional velocity works in the slightly lower twist vs at the more pedestrian velocities that the CM's and 260's run. OTOH plenty are shooting great groups with 8 twist and my heavy rifle is no exception. Wonder if I went 8 and concocted some heavy bullet slammers in the 155 grain range?

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
I think George is starting to move to a little faster twist for some of his 6,5 Saum builds, if I was to build another I would go 8.2"

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan
I think George is starting to move to a little faster twist for some of his 6,5 Saum builds, if I was to build another I would go 8.2"

Agreed. I keep on w/ George and a bunch of SAUM guys on their Facebook group. I think GAP is moving to all 8 twists. Theory is that bullets will just get longer.
While I agree, my purpose was not ultra long range (hence the 23" barrel) just a desire to EASILY get 3k w/ 140s and 3100+ with 130s in a portable mid-weight package.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by westside_benny
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by TDN

PT&G DBM or bdl style?

Wow,

Looks like my novel 'idea' isn't all that unique after all! Hope everyones (mine included) builds turn out beyond expectations! I envy you guys that are a couple steps ahead as I'd be surprised to fire my first shots for at least several months. I think McMillan and my gunsmith might be having an informal competition for longest lead time...ohh well, will make it all that much sweeter in the end and gives a guy time to forget how much is in the project.

Regarding the 8.5 vs 8 twist I am not against either. There is the fact that GAP uses the slightly lower rate barrel and plenty of others as well shooting lights out. Talk is the additional velocity works in the slightly lower twist vs at the more pedestrian velocities that the CM's and 260's run. OTOH plenty are shooting great groups with 8 twist and my heavy rifle is no exception. Wonder if I went 8 and concocted some heavy bullet slammers in the 155 grain range?

Well... I bet if you're not too picky on your stock pattern you could find one pretty quick or put out a WTB ad. You can find in stock barrels in 6.5 and LRI could turn around the metal work in a week - 10 days (according to them). There are a ton of reasons to pursue just what you want... but if speed is your game, there are some options.

805 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My 6.5SAUM is built by Danny1788 also

M70 CRPF action
Bartlein #3 8 twist
McMillan Hunter bedded and PTG bottom metal
Shoots tiny groups with 140 Hybrids and H1000

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by TDN
Originally Posted by Ackleyfan

Agreed. I keep on w/ George and a bunch of SAUM guys on their Facebook group. I think GAP is moving to all 8 twists. Theory is that bullets will just get longer.
While I agree, my purpose was not ultra long range (hence the 23" barrel) just a desire to EASILY get 3k w/ 140s and 3100+ with 130s in a portable mid-weight package.

Interesting. I will admit to not keeping up with the latest and greatest and research was a couple years old. Longer bullets ehhh. Guess it sure could keep going that way. There are 8 twist barrels available now and probably no reason not to get one. Maybe I will go that route. Don't think I'd be able to tell the difference once on the rifle between the two.

Did you initially choose 23" or cut back to achieve better balance? Sounds like your build goals are quite similar to mine.

TDN Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Link to IN STOCK Bart #3 - 1:8.5"

Looks like the 8twists are out of stock. Guys are running 143s and 147s in the 8.7 twists, I'd not fret the 8.5 unless 155+ was may aim.

I've done a number of Model 70 builds and w/ the extra heft in the #3 and an eye towards portability and balance I went 23".
Last year's 6.5 build was a Hart #3 on a 70 long action (McM Hunter w/ EDGE) @ 25" and while it handled fine, I am glad to lose the 2"

Not the best pic, but its the one I have uploaded of the 25"er.

[Linked Image]

W
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
W
[img]https://i.imgur.com/d93fn1C.jpg?1[/img]

Here's the donor in all it's New Haven, Ultimate Shadow glory. At $399.00 I couldn't turn it down...and apparently I have forgotten how to post pics again.

Went ahead and ordered the barrel in the 8 twist along with a stock from McMillan. Will post up pics (or try at least) when it's done. Guessing it will be mid-summer ish.

Last edited by westside_benny; 02/09/18.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Dont take anybody's word on the Mullerworks matching the Rock contour. Get the barrel and measure it before ordering your stock. McMillan does not have Mullerworks contours on file. I ordered my stock for a Rock contour and my Mullerworks didnt fit. I measued the barrel later against the Rock chart and the barrel was off. Dan recently started running a bigger shank diameter and tapers down to Rock muzzle diameter from there. I had my stock opened up and its OK, but i would send mcmillan the barreled action if i had to do it over. My mullerworks that is supposed to match a rock 3 turned out closer to a bart 2b and finished 23". Defiance deviant hunter, sheep cut, heavy bolt fluting, hunters edge rem bottom metal came to 6.5 lbs. barrel has a 3/4" shank length.

N
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
N
Tagging in for later.

“Factio democratica delenda est"
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

200 members (222ND, 270wsmnutt, 12344mag, 44mc, 160user, 1936M71, 21 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,052 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,645
Posts18,533,746
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.