Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by FatOldMIHunter
Originally Posted by smokepole
If it was me I'd load up some some 155 scenars for the .308 and be done. 45-47 grains of Varget is a proven accurate load. That bullet will do anything you want out to 600 with relatively mild recoil.

I'm not even seeing Scenars mentioned in ballisticstudies.com's knowledgebase, so could you provide data on how they perform at various velicities?

I'm assuming you're talking about how they perform terminally? Do a thread title search "Deceased via Scenar" and you'll see pages and pages of animals taken at various distances including elk-sized animals. A 155 on a deer will not be a problem.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

GB1

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I'm new on this site, but I'm not new on this planet. I'm going to get around to asking about bullet selection for my situation but I'll give you some background first, I'm developing strategies for continuing to hunt as I get older. Part of my plan is to become able to ethically shoot out to the limits available on my property. If I don't move dirt, that's about 400 yds, maybe 600 if I cut a few shooting lanes. That may only seem like medium range to some of you, but it's far enough to need a strategy to improve into. This is mainly to fill the freezer and manage the whitetail deer population by hunting does in the Late Antlerless season which is in late December in Northern Michigan. I also plan to pop any coyotes that come into view. Conditions will usually be sub-freezing with 10-20mph crosswinds.

I've been practicing out to 300 yds. I'll stretch that when I get the blind in place where the shooting lanes intersect. I've been learning how to develop loads for my rifles, researching scope options, setting up a blind with good stable rests, and working on my shooting form. I'm prepared to devote significant energy to develop the skills I'll need. What I don't plan to do is sink a lot money into my rifles. In their own way, each seems adequate to the task. I might buy some better scopes, but my rifles seem to be capable of sub-MOA, so I want to work on getting the right hunting bullets for them.

My two "distance" rifles are a Browning A-bolt Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag and a Howa 1500 in 6.5X55 Swede. I also have a Ruger American in .308 Win, but I see that as a MPBR gun for use in the wooded areas of the property, although I do plan to work up loads for longer distance shooting. The A-bolt has a 4-16X42 Nikon Monarch BDC scope. The Howa 1500 has 3.5-10X44 NikkoStirling Gameking AO. The Ruger American has a 3-9X40 Sightron SI HHR.

I have some ideas about hunting bullets for each, but it seems like there are a few people around here with way more long range experience who enjoy recommending things, so I'm willing to be convinced that what you know is useful in my strategy. So thanks in advance for reasonable suggestions.

'Tis a GREAT injustice,that nobody will shoot you straight...so I will. Hint.

Firstly,the Browning is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit,from any/all angles. It simply does NO mechanical favors,if only because it can NOT. Spend $.99 and buy a "For SALE!" sign and cut to the fhuqking chase. Hint.

Secondly,the RAR 308 is heavily compromised mechanically,as well. The Milk Jug stock sucks heavy ass and the OEM magazines are straight dog schit to boot. No need to touch upon throat geometry and it's relation to same. Ooops! Hint.

Lastly,the Howa mechanically connects the most dots. It has the RPM,COAL and robustitude,to rate a thunk. Though every scope sighted,is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit and that pun be intended. Hint.

Anywhoo...boolits matter more than headstamps and the Howa Swede connects the most dots,by fhuqking light years. Hint.

You reap a 1-8" spout and while suffering a Long Action receiver in conjunction,have every move available in relation to it's throat. The 147 ELD is your Huckleberry there and it's .697 BC is no fluke. Hint.

Trip ALL of the glass and their mounting systems(feel free to extoll same,for even more oblivious humor),pitch the A-Bort and the RAR,then you've a chance to connect a few dots. Until then,given the "equipment" cited(no pun there),you are pissing up multiple ropes,with your mouth wide open.

But this schit is never NOT funny,because Clueless Dumbfhuqks never listen. Hint.

Just sayin'.

You've been led to water.

Thank me later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Boxer
I'm new on this site, but I'm not new on this planet. I'm going to get around to asking about bullet selection for my situation but I'll give you some background first, I'm developing strategies for continuing to hunt as I get older. Part of my plan is to become able to ethically shoot out to the limits available on my property. If I don't move dirt, that's about 400 yds, maybe 600 if I cut a few shooting lanes. That may only seem like medium range to some of you, but it's far enough to need a strategy to improve into. This is mainly to fill the freezer and manage the whitetail deer population by hunting does in the Late Antlerless season which is in late December in Northern Michigan. I also plan to pop any coyotes that come into view. Conditions will usually be sub-freezing with 10-20mph crosswinds.

I've been practicing out to 300 yds. I'll stretch that when I get the blind in place where the shooting lanes intersect. I've been learning how to develop loads for my rifles, researching scope options, setting up a blind with good stable rests, and working on my shooting form. I'm prepared to devote significant energy to develop the skills I'll need. What I don't plan to do is sink a lot money into my rifles. In their own way, each seems adequate to the task. I might buy some better scopes, but my rifles seem to be capable of sub-MOA, so I want to work on getting the right hunting bullets for them.

My two "distance" rifles are a Browning A-bolt Medallion in 7mm Rem Mag and a Howa 1500 in 6.5X55 Swede. I also have a Ruger American in .308 Win, but I see that as a MPBR gun for use in the wooded areas of the property, although I do plan to work up loads for longer distance shooting. The A-bolt has a 4-16X42 Nikon Monarch BDC scope. The Howa 1500 has 3.5-10X44 NikkoStirling Gameking AO. The Ruger American has a 3-9X40 Sightron SI HHR.

I have some ideas about hunting bullets for each, but it seems like there are a few people around here with way more long range experience who enjoy recommending things, so I'm willing to be convinced that what you know is useful in my strategy. So thanks in advance for reasonable suggestions.

Firstly,the Browning is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit,from any/all angles. It simply does NO mechanical favors,if only because it can NOT. Spend $.99 and buy a "For SALE!" sign and cut to the fhuqking chase. Hint.

Secondly,the RAR 308 is heavily compromised mechanically,as well. The Milk Jug stock sucks heavy ass and the OEM magazines are straight dog schit to boot. No need to touch upon throat geometry and it's relation to same. Ooops! Hint.

Lastly,the Howa mechanically connects the most dots. It has the RPM,COAL and robustitude,to rate a thunk. Though every scope sighted,is a steaming pile of fhuqking schit and that pun be intended. Hint.

Anywhoo...boolits matter more than headstamps and the Howa Swede connects the most dots,by fhuqking light years. Hint.

You reap a 1-8" spout and while suffering a Long Action receiver in conjunction,have every move available in relation to it's throat. The 147 ELD is your Huckleberry there and it's .697 BC is no fluke. Hint.

Trip ALL of the glass and their mounting systems(feel free to extoll same,for even more oblivious humor),pitch the A-Bort and the RAR,then you've a chance to connect a few dots. Until then,given the "equipment" cited(no pun there),you are pissing up multiple ropes,with your mouth wide open.

But this schit is never NOT funny,because Clueless Dumbfhuqks never listen. Hint.

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

No need to plagiarize my advice, nor wax eloquent. grin

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Boxer

Just sayin'.

Thank me later.

I'm not interested in opinions about the rifles or even the scopes for that matter. The truth about them will be told on paper or in my freezer after the right bullets are selected and tested. The .264" 147 ELD is already on the list, but thank you for confirming it.

Will there be cake?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
I'm assuming you're talking about how they perform terminally? Do a thread title search "Deceased via Scenar" and you'll see pages and pages of animals taken at various distances including elk-sized animals. A 155 on a deer will not be a problem.

"There are no results for your query. Please try a broader range of search criteria."

And yes, I'm interested in lethality/terminal performance at various velocities so that I may compare it to other bullets.

Will there be cake?
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

"There are no results for your query. Please try a broader range of search criteria."

And yes, I'm interested in lethality/terminal performance at various velocities so that I may compare it to other bullets.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5681850/12

The 180s are absolute killers out to 700 on elk, bear, mule deer.... IME.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
facts ain't opinions.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I feel strongly both ways....

Have Dog

Will Travel

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by starsky
https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/5681850/12

The 180s are absolute killers out to 700 on elk, bear, mule deer.... IME.

Thank you. I'm concerned about lack of expansion as they pass through whitetail does. I've never had that problem with NPs, but I've never shot them further than 200 yds.

Will there be cake?
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You're over-analyzing this. Hit a whitetail doe in the chest with any 30 caliber bullet and it's going down. And just hypothetically, if it didn't go down immediately what would the consequences be? It's not like this is the hunt of a lifetime that you had to save up for.

Which is just another way to say if you're shooting whitetail does at "long range" then accuracy is what you're looking for, you don't need a "controlled expansion" or a "premium" bullet. You need to be able to hit the vitals a long ways out there.

IC B3

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
You're over-analyzing this.

I have plenty of time and enjoy the shooting involved in testing various loads and bullets. That's one of the benefits of being retired. I've been on enough long tracks to know that I won't be capable of them as I get older. I'm going to favor lighter, flatter-shooting bullets with lower recoil, so I want to make sure they are going to perform well from 0-600 yds. Plus, a friend who hunts the same season with me and favors Barnes bullets will be "analyzing" any choice that I make that isn't Barnes, so the proof will hopefully show up in wound channels. At most, I will be testing four bullets per rifle/caliber. It may end being a waste of time, but is it really a waste of time when it gets me out of the house during cabin fever season?

Will there be cake?
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Hmmmm....I could teach you a thing or two about the .308 Winchester!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
It may end being a waste of time, but is it really a waste of time when it gets me out of the house during cabin fever season?

No, it's not a waste of time at all. Sometimes you just have to see for yourself. All I'm trying to say is, think about what you need in a bullet for whitetails at 600 yards. In .30 caliber at 600 yards premium bullet performance, controlled expansion, and all of the other stuff that bullet manufacturers use to promote and sell bullets are not critical. Accuracy and at least a decent BC should be at the top of your list and scenars are some of the most accurate and easiest to get to shoot, especially the 155 grain .308.

And if your friend is telling you that you need a Barnes bullet to kill deer at 600 he's wrong on a couple of counts. First, their BCs are low compared to other bullets so they'll drift more in wind. Second, if you're worried about lack of expansion at low velocities the Barnes bullet should be one you're concerned about especially at .308 velocities and 600 yards. Third, the big advantage of copper bullets is penetration and that will not be a factor with .308 bullets on whitetails unless you use a bullet that's designed for varmints.

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
It may end being a waste of time, but is it really a waste of time when it gets me out of the house during cabin fever season?

No, it's not a waste of time at all. Sometimes you just have to see for yourself. All I'm trying to say is, think about what you need in a bullet for whitetails at 600 yards. In .30 caliber at 600 yards premium bullet performance, controlled expansion, and all of the other stuff that bullet manufacturers use to promote and sell bullets are not critical. Accuracy and at least a decent BC should be at the top of your list and scenars are some of the most accurate and easiest to get to shoot, especially the 155 grain .308.

And if your friend is telling you that you need a Barnes bullet to kill deer at 600 he's wrong on a couple of counts. First, their BCs are low compared to other bullets so they'll drift more in wind. Second, if you're worried about lack of expansion at low velocities the Barnes bullet should be one you're concerned about especially at .308 velocities and 600 yards. Third, the big advantage of copper bullets is penetration and that will not be a factor with .308 bullets on whitetails unless you use a bullet that's designed for varmints.

So I don't even need to consider the 180? I see two 30 cal 155 Scenars at midwayusa. One is called the Scenar-L. Which one is better?

And I hear what you are saying about accuracy. If I was shooting beyond 600 yds, it would be at the top of my list and I would be considering the heavier bullets to get their high BCs, but while I'm going to be shooting lighter-for-caliber bullets and comparing them to each other, terminal performance will be a factor in my decisions. I'm not ruling out the Barnes if I can shoot them accurately in my conditions, because I have seen the wound channels and the short tracks they produce. The plan for the .308 is to use it everywhere else, aside from the long distance blind, and have it set up for MPBR with a simple 30-30 reticle. So long range accuracy is not my biggest concern with it. Dragging does out of thick woods is hard work, so I will be more likely to be taking neck, spine, and shoulder breaking shots at closer ranges with it. But I still want the loads to be accurate at longer ranges in case I decide to change the scope and change how I use it.

Will there be cake?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by Sharpsman
Hmmmm....I could teach you a thing or two about the .308 Winchester!

But can you tolerate Michigan February weather?

Will there be cake?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've had a lot of "luck" with the 75amax and 105amax on deer. I shoot a bunch of barnes bullets too but they aren't the be all end all of bullets.

Where are you located? I live in south-west Alcona county and do a lot of long range shooting. If you want to play with different rifles and/or glass I'd be happy to do some shooting with you. I'll bring a 308 w/155 scenars. And a 223AI w/75amax's, 22-250AI w/75amax's, 243AI w/105VLD's, 6.5cm w/147ELD's and you can shoot them all side by side. I'm guessing the 308 might not be your choice after shooting them all.

[Linked Image]

F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F
Originally Posted by BradArnett
I've had a lot of "luck" with the 75amax and 105amax on deer. I shoot a bunch of barnes bullets too but they aren't the be all end all of bullets.

Where are you located? I live in south-west Alcona county and do a lot of long range shooting. If you want to play with different rifles and/or glass I'd be happy to do some shooting with you. I'll bring a 308 w/155 scenars. And a 223AI w/75amax's, 22-250AI w/75amax's, 243AI w/105VLD's, 6.5cm w/147ELD's and you can shoot them all side by side. I'm guessing the 308 might not be your choice after shooting them all.

Alcona County? What are the odds? I live in BC. I'll take you up on that offer. My range (primary hunting property) is in Spruce and I will be moving there when my house sells and I get my new house built. I'm going there in about 15 minutes and shooting the A-bolt, Howa, and my wife's Savage Axis .243. I'll PM you later today.

Will there be cake?
F
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
F

Unfortunately, there are a lot of photos not showing up in this thread. ScenarShooter's are still there, but the pics hosted by PhotoBucket are blocked and some others are just bad links.

Last edited by FatOldMIHunter; 02/10/18.

Will there be cake?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
do the 'bucket fix that Rick sticky'd and you can see them

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Photos or no photos, that's a big pile of dead animals killed by scenars. Scenar-Ls are relatively new and are supposed to be made to tighter tolerances and more accurate.

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

226 members (444afic, 5sdad, 10gaugemag, 41rem, 348srfun, 264mag, 27 invisible), 1,650 guests, and 1,070 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,070
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.