Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Owl
More fur harvested around here with a 12g shotgun than with a rifle. With the right shotgun, choke, and loads, you can successfully take them out to 100 yards without any fur damage.

Yep. And theres more elk killed here over 600 yards than under...if you listen to the intrepid hunters...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
GB1

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Owl
More fur harvested around here with a 12g shotgun than with a rifle. With the right shotgun, choke, and loads, you can successfully take them out to 100 yards without any fur damage.

Pure and utter bullscheit.

You're probably one of the guys claiming to kill geese every day at 110 yards in the air too....

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by 358wsm
Originally Posted by Owl

I'd like to see one of your 100 yard patterning targets, and perhaps hear about your choke and constriction numbers, as well as the particular load doing the 100 yard killin.
I would be more than interested.

If I was close in my calculations, the BB size lead shot has;
A .014 B.C. value
If leaving the shotgun muzzle at 1430fps
A 7.4 grain pellet of #4 shot will strike with 3.2 ft/lbs of energy at 100 yards.
And will have slowed to 438.2 fps. by the time it reaches 100 yards.

Might be off a little in my calculations, but it's not surprizing to me that there's not much fur damage caused by a shotgun load at 100 yards.

And For the Elephant in the room -------------------- Wait for it Wait for it!

Reliable quick fur killing shotgun loads at 100 yards are limited to slugs if you can land the slug in the kill zone IMHO. Not exactly fur friendly. You have our attention, if you are able to provide data that indicates otherwise lets hear it. In the mean time Ill join the crowd calling BS & stick with a centerfire small cal. for this job.

Should you find shotgun pattern data that counterdicts that found in the following link I will be interested to take a gander.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=777351&page=1

Last edited by Hunterapp; 02/04/18.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

& Proverbs 21:19
358wsm Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker

BTW Anybody know if my calculations were even close.?

"I'd rather have an Army of Asses led by a Lion, than an Army of Lions led by an Ass." (George Washington)
J
J
I love Barnes varmint grenades. I loaded them for both my .223 and .22-250 and rarely leave an exit hole and they are dead right there. I have heard some not so good results but all of my loads have performed lights out. I run the 36gr in both.

IC B2

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Sounds like thus far you have done very well in terms of staying clear of heavy bone w the Varmint Grenades.

love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, self-control

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
I shot that coyote in the ear yesterday.

221 fireball with 40 grain vmax.

Never seems to damage much.

I am MAGA.
J
J
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Sounds like thus far you have done very well in terms of staying clear of heavy bone w the Varmint Grenades.

Yes, mostly frontal shots as most of my yotes are hand called. I've taken a bobcat in the shoulder and not much pelt damage. It could be that I am running the light VG's.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Your Bobcat example surprises me. I am left with three questions. Hope you don't mind If I try to learn a little more here.

1.) With the BobCat example; Was the Shoulder bone actually hit?

2.) Are your loads what one may call conservative velocity wise or are you at the upper velocity range.

3.) What would you guess The range of the bobcat and on average what range are you calling your coyotes into?

Thanks for the feedback.

J
J
Originally Posted by Hunterapp
Your Bobcat example surprises me. I am left with three questions. Hope you don't mind If I try to learn a little more here.

1.) With the BobCat example; Was the Shoulder bone actually hit?

The bullet actually hit the right elbow as it entered. The bobcat had hopped up on a downed log and was sitting there like a house kitty when I shot it.

2.) Are your loads what one may call conservative velocity wise or are you at the upper velocity range.

Yes, I tend to load towards the lower end of the spectrum. I have found by trial and error over the years that the loads with the highest velocities are not always the most accurate loads. What I have found is bullet seating depth has more of an impact on accuracy than higher velocities. Just my two cents from my own experience on the loads I have worked up.

3.) What would you guess The range of the bobcat and on average what range are you calling your coyotes into?

The bobcat was 75 yards. I know because I ranged it. Most yotes average 40 yards when hand calling. The bobcats tend to hang up a bit farther out, at least the ones that I have seen. I am sure there have been more that have
come in but I just didn't see them. Woodpecker in distress for bobcats works well in my areas.

Thanks for the feedback.

IC B3

H
H
Hornady .224 50gr SX loaded in a .22 center-fire to 3400 fps max velocity. Keep it at or under 3400 and it will take varmints cleanly with no exit. Hevi-Shot "Dead Coyote" is great for the shotgun if you can find the ammo.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
.222 makes a nice fur cartridge. I don't use the explosive bullets. Most of my shooting is with a .52gr. BTHP or just match HP. I load for accuracy. Seems to put them down hard without much sewing, if I do my part and stay within range.
Easy Peasy Lemon Squeezy

re

Beware the man with one gun, for he likely knows how to use it...
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

504 members (10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 160user, 01Foreman400, 12344mag, 63 invisible), 2,447 guests, and 1,208 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,379
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.