Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
W
WyDave Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Haven't shot an AR in the almost 20 years since I was in the service. Looking at new things and was wondering who makes the best Side Chargers? I'd like to try out one of the non reciprocating left side styles. Since there's not a great deal of info on this site about them; what are some of the advantages and disadvantages you've all run into? Thanks for the help..

GB1

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
I got one. It was made by a small Georgetown TX company, Serenity Arms. They call it the Texas Patriot Rifle.

Advantages/disadvantages, well you would have to be the judge. One of the reasons I bought it was for its uniqueness. The one thing you need to mindful of is the optics you mount. I have an Eotech 552 on mine and the knobs could get in the way if you had gloves on.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
My favorite AR is a side charge made by LAR, I have heard they are no longer in business. My friend recently built one on a Stoner action from Midway

G
g5m Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by boatanchor
My favorite AR is a side charge made by LAR, I have heard they are no longer in business. My friend recently built one on a Stoner action from Midway

Bought up:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2012/11/28/lar-manufacturing-acquired-by-remington/

Retired cat herder.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I built a couple on Bear Creek Arsenal side charging upper receivers.....a 5.56 and a 300 Blackout. Both work fine...no problems. They have periodic sales on upper w/BCG packages.

The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me.
IC B2

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I make my own, generally left side handles, and they are reciprocating. I haven't found the reciprocating handle to be any disadvantage, and it's a useful replacement for the F/A sometimes. However, the exposed slot in the receiver does tend to deliver a bit more gas to the face when shooting suppressed. That's about the only disadvantage I've found.

All in all, I'd say that side charge handles on the AR15 platform don't really solve any problems per se, but they are convenient and work well. If you like them, go for it.

W
WyDave Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Liked the idea of not having to mess up my cheek weld in order to cycle the bolt while using light loads.
Making my own as a first build sounds a bit of a stretch.

Will look into those mentioned. Thanks for the reply's!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Originally Posted by WyDave
Liked the idea of not having to mess up my cheek weld in order to cycle the bolt while using light loads.

That's why I first did it too, for subsonic mouse fart 300 Blk loads.

I don't recommend trying to make one yourself unless you have machining equipment & skills though. smile

W
WyDave Offline OP
OP Offline
W
Yondering, I'm helping a friend who's building it for me. He's put together at least 15 standard AR's from the ground up. Hoping any issues that arise we'll be able to work out.

Anyone worked with a Gibbz Arms receiver before?
Aslo looking at doing this in 223 Wylde; thoughts a bbl maker that chambers in this and what profile would be best for something that's going to get carried a lot?

All help is really appreciated!

Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
I meant that I don't recommend trying to do your own conversion of a standard bolt carrier to a side charger; you need machining equipment for that, not just the average homeowner drill press or dremel. Drilling and tapping a hardened bolt carrier for a side charge handle is not a simple task. That was in reply to you saying "Making my own as a first build sounds like a stretch."

I was not implying that you shouldn't assemble an AR yourself; that's fairly easy.

Last edited by Yondering; 02/02/18.
IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
interesting on drilling for a bolt... we did one back in the late 80s or early 90s. I don't own a drill press, but have access. I don't recall there being much to tap and thread the hole. But my memory from way back when things were not common on the AR isn't that great anymore.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have 2. one on a 458 socom the other a AR 5.7 fn
like both
the 458 is a Eisenach Arms upper on a Founding Fathers lower.

Last edited by deerstalker; 02/04/18.

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Everyone that has seen my side chargers has converted.
Black Gold Custom makes side charge AR15 and AR10 uppers, with available BCGs. Fully milled. Top notch stuff.

Dave

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Interesting, I've seen quite a few. I"ve never really had the urge except one we built for rapid fire dry fire practice in the 90s

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Yondering
I make my own, generally left side handles, and they are reciprocating. I haven't found the reciprocating handle to be any disadvantage, and it's a useful replacement for the F/A sometimes. However, the exposed slot in the receiver does tend to deliver a bit more gas to the face when shooting suppressed. That's about the only disadvantage I've found.

All in all, I'd say that side charge handles on the AR15 platform don't really solve any problems per se, but they are convenient and work well. If you like them, go for it.

How are you doing this ?? What machines are you using ??

kwg

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
kwg - I use a milling machine for the carrier modification, and make the charge handles on the lathe. The receivers get a slot milled in them for the handle too of course. I don't sell them or anything like that, just build them because i like them. Sometimes I lighten the bolt carriers too, as you can see behind the side charge handle in this pic, but that's a slightly different topic.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Yondering
kwg - I use a milling machine for the carrier modification, and make the charge handles on the lathe. The receivers get a slot milled in them for the handle too of course. I don't sell them or anything like that, just build them because i like them. Sometimes I lighten the bolt carriers too, as you can see behind the side charge handle in this pic, but that's a slightly different topic.

[Linked Image]

that is on the wrong side! grin actually perfect. no firing hand release like mine. I want one!!
or 3

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
Yeah it could be right or left (or both!), and a lot of AR side chargers are on the right, but I prefer mine on the left so I don't have to let go of the firing hand grip. I started that for mouse fart 300 Blk suppressed loads (manually cycled) and kept it that way for the rest of them just for consistency.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
its a winner.. going to steal the concept if thats OK?

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Y
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Y
It's a pretty open concept so have at it, the only part that's "mine" is the design of the charge handle and the machining methods.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 1Longbow, 17Fan, 12344mag, 1_deuce, 59 invisible), 2,866 guests, and 1,260 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,112
Posts18,483,376
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.