Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
I just bought this truck from a VERY CLOSE FRIEND (...to replace the one that I am selling... https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/12626973)

In that we are friends, it is important for both of us to feel as though the value and price are fair to BOTH OF US (i.e. NEVER screw over a friend!!!).

So... please shout out what you think this truck is worth. Don't be shy... I will post the $$$ exchanged in one week.

METICULOUSLY MAINTAINED (Mechanically) 1998 Dodge 3500 24 valve with 272k miles. Trans is auto and rebuilt (WAY OVERBUILT on the rebuild... oversized pan etc).

AirDog fuel pump/filters to protect the injector pump (100 GPH IIRC).

Everything works perfect... AC, Cruise, remote start, alarm, stereo etc.

Steering is super tight (2WD). Posi-traction rear. Premium Michelins (LN). On-board air compressor for suspension airbags. Dump and truck will haul 3 tons easy as pie. Frame is PERFECT and rust free.

New brakes, brake lines, cables and fluids.

Dump is hydraulic

Oversized turbo 100+ HP injectors... Full gauges (boost, Turbo temp., trans temp., and fuel pressure.)

ZERO smoke. Strong as a bull. Fast as a Camero.

So what is "Fair Market Value"???

PLEASE SHOUT OUT HERE!!! No one will be offended (you have my word).

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/10/18. Reason: Typos... as always

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have a couple of old Cummins trucks but I'd be guessing. Good trucks though and that's a hard one to find.

LOL
J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
9500.....cash.

I am MAGA.
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by Fireball2
I'd be guessing.

Guess away please... really trying to get a solid feel on value. Thanks

If you are not actively engaging EVERY enemy you encounter... you are allowing another to fight for you... and that is cowardice... plain and simple.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
A 20 year old 2wd with over a quarter million miles? $4000 maybe?

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Jim_Conrad
9500.....cash.

Maybe.

I'd feel better at $7500 though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
fast as a camaro

I like chevy jokes

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Originally Posted by Pat85

Closer to this in my area. The 2WD is a deal killer... And except for landscapers, most folks around here would rather have a flat bed.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The Cummins motor is still a pup at 250k

Defend the Constitution
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Orion2000
Originally Posted by Pat85

Closer to this in my area. The 2WD is a deal killer... And except for landscapers, most folks around here would rather have a flat bed.

I'd look at it from a ranch/work/fencing truck perspective. I could use a bed like that for untold stuff around here too.

If you look at what a decent UTV costs, this truck is pretty cheap. I would prefer 4x4 though.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
IC B3

J
Campfire Kahuna
Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
J
Originally Posted by tomk
The Cummins motor is still a pup at 250k

Yes, but what about 272k?

I figured the price where I did because of the bed....and I assumed it was an engine driven hydraulic pump.

If electric over hydraulic the price comes down accordingly.

Pickups you sink a lot of fancy parts in are about as good of an investment as a custom rifle.

Never get out what you put in.

Some aspects of maintenance will pay you back.....but all the hot rod parts wont.

I am MAGA.
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
From 98 1/2 to 2002 Dodge used that awful Bosch VP44 injection pump in the 24 valve. A total piece of junk.

Here's the reality. All those performance upgrades on that truck are pretty much worthless for resale and don't mean anything. List all the upgrades one wants it still means nothing, because it adds zip to resale. The real meat and potatoes of that truck is the injection pump. Recently I just put the 5th injection pump on my 2000 Dodge Cummins and the part alone was 3k. The big deal is this one had an upgraded module sensor. That's where the money is. If you have a good injection pump that means A LOT.

There's another very negative on that vintage of Cummins motors. It's the #53 block casting. On the rear passenger side and lower portion of block there's a number of the series of block casting on Cummins of this vintage. If it's got an #53 on it its notorious for having cracks on the rear cyclinder/block area (vertical crack) and it will leak anti freeze.

So performance upgrades are a "so-what", and the biggies in this vintage of are the state of the injection pump and making sure you don't end up with an #53 engine block. And if you have steering leaks, slop, and issues then that weak Dodge steering box needs to go and a Ball steering box is a fix for it @ about $500.

Those are the warts of the 98 1/2 to 2002 dodge Cummins and what to really look out for. I've been thru a lot of experiance with this gen of truck.

Now to me that truck if in running condition is maybe 4K if none of the above warts apply.

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker
From 98 1/2 to 2002 Dodge used that awful Bosch VP44 injection pump in the 24 valve. A total piece of junk.

Here's the reality. All those performance upgrades on that truck are pretty much worthless for resale and don't mean anything. List all the upgrades one wants it still means nothing, because it adds zip to resale. The real meat and potatoes of that truck is the injection pump. Recently I just put the 5th injection pump on my 2000 Dodge Cummins and the part alone was 3k. The big deal is this one had an upgraded module sensor. That's where the money is. If you have a good injection pump that means A LOT.

There's another very negative on that vintage of Cummins motors. It's the #53 block casting. On the rear passenger side and lower portion of block there's a number of the series of block casting on Cummins of this vintage. If it's got an #53 on it its notorious for having cracks on the rear cyclinder/block area (vertical crack) and it will leak anti freeze.

So performance upgrades are a "so-what", and the biggies in this vintage of are the state of the injection pump and making sure you don't end up with an #53 engine block. And if you have steering leaks, slop, and issues then that weak Dodge steering box needs to go and a Ball steering box is a fix for it @ about $500.

Those are the warts of the 98 1/2 to 2002 dodge Cummins and what to really look out for. I've been thru a lot of experiance with this gen of truck.

Now to me that truck if in running condition is maybe 4K if none of the above warts apply.

Not a #53 block

Steering shaft and gear box were recently replaced. Top shelf parts. Front end is VERY TIGHT. No death wobble (that crap almost killed me once in a 1993).

VP44 injection pump is a poor pump for sure, but when a FASS or AirDog system is used their drama ends (so I have experienced).

Dump bed was custom built. Hydraulics came from an old grain wagon (it is an oversized ram). Truck can easily carry 3 tons... IMHO the hydraulics would easily push twice that.

Thanks for the opinions... PLEASE KEEP THEM COMING!!!

I find the price range very interesting.

Thanks to all that comment.

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
if it was a12 valve it would bring a lot more

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by stxhunter

I thought it was a 12 valve? So it's a 98 & 1/2+? I personally wouldn't want it with the miles and the 2wd, that's why I'm unfamiliar with the value.

LOL
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by stxhunter

For what reason? no electronics?

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
yes

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by oldpinecricker

I have a 1999 with 380k miles and I had to replace the injection pump at about 150k and have the trans rebuilt at 250k. That’s been my only major expense.

You can buy rebuilt inj pumps for 1200 bucks and cost a couple hundred labor to replace.

Trans rebuild runs 1750 now. It sort me 1400 when I had mine done.

I had three 12 valves prior to this 24 valve and I wish I still had one of those engines but I still prefer this one over Ford and for damn sure over Chevy.

And I’d say 4500 would be a fair price between friends IF you need the dump bed and the 2wd will work for you.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Originally Posted by curdog4570
... I’d say 4500 would be a fair price between friends IF you need the dump bed and the 2wd will work for you.

Thanks for speaking up!

No question the 12 valves last...

3 years ago I almost bought a mint 1998 4 door (super rare) 12 valve with 940k (it was an Amsoil system truck) from an OCD owner (fixed everything constantly), but at the time I had zero use for a 2WD... so I passed. IIRC it was $7,000

I have owned about 25 Cummins in my life... 4BTs to Commonrail... I almost never buy anything but a 12 valve now a days (currently own 1996 and 1997 4WD 12V). I have had many with 350k to 500k.

I NEED a light dump (3 tons is light)... 650s are too big. I will be hauling mountain stone 3-4 hours on the highway to use as building stone... and to sell my the pallet.

[Linked Image]

I have search everywhere for the past 3 months and found NOTHING (that was not a Ford, Chevy, snow truck (rusted), FUBAR/broken or cost big $$$). Please do a search yourself... I would love some comps.

The dump I just bought is in perfect mechanical order.

I really appreciate the input on values.

Originally Posted by curdog4570
I have a 1999 with 380k miles and I had to replace the injection pump at about 150k and have the trans rebuilt at 250k. That’s been my only major expense.

You can buy rebuilt inj pumps for 1200 bucks and cost a couple hundred labor to replace.

Trans rebuild runs 1750 now. It cost me 1400 when I had mine done.

Pump price can be a bit less... http://www.thoroughbreddiesel.com/bosch/VP44-stock-pump.htm

Trans rebuilds can be a bit more... especially a HD rebuilt 47RE or 47RH

Last edited by CashisKing; 02/11/18. Reason: Typos... as always

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
The only downside I see to this truck is the 2wd. These trucks had some weak areas but they have been addressed. The dump bed is not typical but you need it so it has value to you. I paid $8,000 for a 2002 4wd. Dealer had replaced the injection pump and in-tank fuel pump. Transmission has not been rebuilt but is still good. I think the value of that truck would be $6500 to $8000.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

499 members (2500HD, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 204guy, 257Bob, 25classic, 61 invisible), 2,711 guests, and 1,295 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,296
Posts18,487,032
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.